General discussion

Compaq Armada 4120 Bios Error

By hmorri1017 ·
I have a Compaq Laptop Armada 4120 that boots to a 162 boot error code. I have tried to use f10 to get to bios but the error occurs before this option is allowed. I have attempted to use a boot disk but the error occurs before the computer checks the floppy drive. I know that compaq laptop reserve a portion of the hard drive for bios. I am having a difficult time changing the hard drive because the screws are stripped. How can I get the screws out and will a new hard drive solve the problem. Can I still obtain a hard drive for this laptop.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by isys In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 Bios E ...

If the error is happening before you access the hard drive, changing it will have no effect.
Find the CMOS battery and change it first. Go to Ace hardware and get a #1 Easy-Out and a #40 drill bit, or drill the heads off the screws and use needle nose pliers or vise grips to get the screws out. You should be able to get replacdements at Ace also.

Collapse -

by hmorri1017 In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 Bios E ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by stngfan1 In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 Bios E ...

First fix the bios problem before spending money on a HDD. If the solution isn't the battery. Then you going to have to replace the bios. Is it worth it ?

Simple Technology makes hdd to fit in this model. I order them from CDW.

Good Luck.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by sburnett In reply to Compaq Armada 4120 Bios E ...

I believe that code indicates "system options not set". The bios is not always on the drive, but if you can use another computer to get to Compaq's site, there is a downloadable "setup" disk that performs the same function. Look at http://www.compaq.com/support/files/portables/us/index.html for the "softpaq". Download it and run it. It'll create a bootable "Setup" disk.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums