General discussion

Compaq Presario V2000 Dead? (Won't power up)

By thallarsen ·
My 18 month old V2403NR (V2000 series) abruptly powered off during use this morning. This is the first time that it's done anything like this. It wasn't a gradual powering down, but an abrupt shutoff, similar to that of pulling the battery (w/no AC cord plugged in).
After coming across the numerous post regarding 'dead' Presario V2000's I read the majority of comments and concluded that my notebook a piece of junk, and was among the numerous cases that apparently experienced a motherboard failure.
After realizing that I hadn't purchased an extended warranty & that my S/N indicated only a 1 year HP warranty, I figured that I was SOL.
Before jumping on the bandwagon (not to discredit any of the claims in other threads) I decided to give HP tech support a try.
Following the troubleshooting prompts, a suggestion was to reseat the RAM module.
I decided to try this, and Voila! I'm back in business!
No bad components, no need for service, no need to sit on the phone with tech support...just reseating the RAM.
This module is easily accessible from the bottom of the notebook, and this can be done in less than 5 minutes (much easier than that of any Mac notebook, I might add).
Anyway, the steps in the HP site are a bit confusing, so I'll outline my steps.
*Unplug the AC cord
*Remove the battery
*Locate the memory cover on the underside of the notebook
*Unscrew the one or two screws securing the memory cover, and lift up to remove the cover
*Gently slide (away from one another) the metal retaining clips that hold down the module.
*The module should pop up
*Remove the module
*Reinstall the module (removing and reinstalling the module is apparently enough to rectify the contacts)
*Replace the module cover and the battery
*Attach the power cord
*Try to power up

Hopefully this works for you as it did for me.
I figured that I should post this for those of you who have experienced what I did, and have assumed the worst (bad motherboard or powerboard).
I highly recommend trying this simple troubleshooting step before assuming the worst.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

same thing

by unclestanx86 In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

i did exactly the same thing...it didn't work for mine...it did power up but then shut down again...i dont want to spend anymore money on it!

Collapse -

This solution worked for me.

by mjkenemore In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

This solution worked for me. It is simple, easy to perform, and my V2000 started up immediately after I finished the procedure.

Many thanks.

Collapse -

?

by Robert Przybylowicz In reply to This solution worked for ...

Unplug, Take Battery out. Press Power for three seconds then plug in put power back in and press power.

Seems to fix a lot of problems...

Collapse -

V3000 also - Compaq Presario V2000 Dead? (Won't power up)

by ajdennis78 In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

Thanks for the post. This problem also occurs with the Compaq Presario V3000, and the same fix works as the v2000. The problem occured when the lid was just closed as usual to put it into sleep mode, and then it wouldn't power up upon tapping power button. dead compaq presario v3000 dead won't start

Collapse -

V3000

by seangumbert In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

I had the same problem today and compact wanted to charge me $50 dollars to troubleshoot. I am glad to find this website it was fixed in 5 minutes.
Thanks for the help

Collapse -

Reseating the RAM worked for me too

by ctddl In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

Im amazed this worked! Thanks for posting.
Only concern is that this might be just treating symptoms of a looming problem.??
Power supply and battery do get very hot.
Any tips on that issue would be appreciated.
Thanks again!

Collapse -

RE : much easier than that of any Mac notebook, I might add

by OH Smeg In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

And just how do you know that's it's easier than doing the same thing on a Mac Book?

If you need to pull anything apart it's a bad design end of story.

Col

Collapse -

Thank you!!

by veggies In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

I thought my Compaq was doomed until I came across this post... I had nothing backed up (doing so NOW)! You saved me!!! Thank you! :)

Collapse -

Worked!

by gmwj In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

Thanks for the tip. Worked perfectly.

Collapse -

Compaq Presario V2000 Dead? (Won't power up) Reply

by blake1029 In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 Dea ...

Your the best. I was in the process of purchasing a new power cord and battery when I can acrosss your post. Thanks a million!!!!! It works now.

Back to Hardware Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums