General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Compaq Presario V2000 is dead

by desireemattice ·

I own a Compaq Presario V2000 that I purchased in May 2005. Ya, not that old…but it has issues. About a year ago, I started having issues with my battery dieing very quickly. So I used the power cord more. About 8 months ago it got to the point that the battery wouldn’t hold a charge at all. I purchased a new 12 cell battery less than a month ago and it had been working fine. The thing is last night it completely blacked off without warning. I thought that maybe the battery had died and I had not noticed it flashing. So I took my battery to class today and had a class mate charge it in her computer. Thinking that maybe my cord wasn’t charging it and I would need to solder that connection. Well I brought home that newly charged battery, put it in my computer and tried to charge it up. Nothing, no lights came on, or flashed…just complete black. What is wrong with it? Or is ther 50 thousand possibilities. Someone mentioned a problem with my motherboard battery. I didn’t even know the motherboard had its own battery. Any suggestions? Anyone? Help…I have finals coming up!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Compaq presario V2000 died

by dharrison ·

In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 is dead

Computer worked perfrectly until two months after the factory warranty. Keyboard and mouse stopped working, then it just wouldn’t turn on anymore. No help from compaq support, and we have no clue what to do. Oh and I had to restart the paper that I was in the middle of writing. if anyone knows what I can do please help me out.

Battery won’t hold

by luckyref ·

In reply to Compaq presario V2000 died

I have just taken my laptop into the shop, they told me that my motherboard is the problem, will wait to see when I get back today if they have fixed my problem. I have had 4 recondition batteries sent to me but non of these worked with my laptop, this is what prompted me to see if my pc is the probme of why my batteries won’t keep the charge. Will keep you posted to what they say from the PC doctor. I didn’t know the motherboard had a battery either.

Mine’s bad too!

by jjheaphy ·

In reply to Battery won’t hold

I’m having the same problem with my V2000. Did you get your’s fixed? What did you have to do?

More information

by dean.harrison ·

I took my computer to a fix it shop for a quote. It was the motherboard. They would gladly fix it for me for $500.00. I gave up on it and bought a new computer from another company.

HP chat support offered this fix

by ldjohnson4228 ·

I had the same reoccurring problem where my Presario v2000 died. 1st time it was under warrantee and they replace the motherboard. But it just happened again. Spoke with HP support and this simple fix got me up an running. Thought I would share.

1. Disconnect the AC Adapter.
        2. Remove the Battery.
        3. Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
        4. Reconnect the AC adapter.
        5. Turn on the Notebook power.
        6.Do not re-connect the Battery.

With an extensive use of the notebook, some times notebook would store some static charges which indeed will stop the notebook from powering up or charging the battery. The procedure to remove this static charges from the notebook is known as power drain.

Hope this helps.

My V2000 is also Dead!

by bradena57 ·

I am having similar problems. I have figured out that it is not the battery or the AC adapter with mine at least. It is indeed a default of some sort with the motherboard. I am trying to figure out exactly what that problem is. My motherboard part number is 412439-001, yet HP tells me that I need to replace it with another one, part number 394252-001, (which leads me to believe they know the original one had problems.) I have opened up the computer and can’t find anything visibly wrong. I haven’t received any good information from HP so I am still looking for an answer. If anyone can help at all please do.

My V2000 is also Dead!

by tlawless ·

In reply to My V2000 is also Dead!

I have had the same issue as well with my Compaq “PisSorryEO” v2000 Laptop.

Trying to reslove this, I contacted Compaq/HP via their online Chat Support and after two of the not helpful Chat Support Reps disconnected me; I called directly only to find that Compaq’s answer to the motherboard (412439-001 that has been discontinued) repair is to send in the laptop for the new motherboard (394252-001) that hopfully works and to be charged $428.00! Not to worry, they are nice enough to give a 90 day warranty on the repair.

Personally, I will not buy another compaq/hp product and if you have one of these Presario’s, don’t bother with their support if you want to accomplish anything more than sending in your system for a $298.00 warranty repair plus the cost of parts or a $398.00 out of warranty repair plus parts.

They said they will of course call you to tell you how much the Motherboard replacment is going to be, I was quoted $375.00 durning the my Chat with the Support Rep., but you still have to pay the repair service cost even if they don’t fix it or you don’t want to pay for the parts.

Appearantly, as it happened two times in a row; if you ask to speak to a superviser or manager, the Reps just hang up on you. NICE. Not only do you spend 20mins just getting a rep online, take another 15mins to type your issues so they know what your system is and your issue, but when they hang up on you, you get to start over and do it again…

Just so you know, verfied by the support rep I had on the phone; they do not log the chat sessions, so if the Chat Support Rep says/types anything that you would like to hold them to, you can’t. They only log what the Chat Rep separately adds to their system after the session. In my case, both times I was hung up on, there was not record that I just spent 75mins online with two different Chat Support Reps that did nothing for me but waist my time. Oh, if you call in, you call can/may be recorded, but I wouldn’t count on it if you actually have an issue with their service or products. “Cynical, Party of one…” 🙂

Long Story Short… You can get a good new Dell Laptop for just over $600.00 and of course a better one for more; I have never had any issues with Dell’s Suport when I needed it in the past and I have been involved in a couple of multi million dollar purchases from Dell on some state government projects.

I’m pretty sure that this situation will ensure Dell is on top of my vendor list in the future and let’s say that Compaq/HP won’t be very close to the top… 😉

Currently my other systems are Dell; I’m not saying all my future systems will be Dell, yet what every they are; I’m sure they won’t be Compaq/HP! 🙂

Sorry you are having the Dead “PisSorryEO” issue… I hope you get all your data off of it ok and then on another system manufactured by someone other than “ComCrap”…

Same support problems

by bradena57 ·

Yeah, I’ve had the very same problems with trying to get any information from HP support. and I also have been purposely disconnected in order to not answer my questions. I would like to get this one fixed just because I am short on money and can’t afford a new one. But I agree, I don’t think I will be purchasing HP again.

Same issue with couple of our laptops

by myacc ·

In reply to Same support problems

I have lot of issues with HP/Compaq products at my office. All brand new laptops with extended onsite support. When I call it takes atleast 2 hours for their support guys to give a caseid. They think that we don’t know anything and try to start with stupid troubleshooting steps. Many times it happened that the CSR will say that they will send an email with the case id withing 30 minutes but they never send it. I updated my issues on their support web and no one responds.

STAY AWAY FROM HP. That will save our time and money.

Same issue with couple of our laptops

by tlawless ·

In reply to Same issue with couple of our laptops

Hey, I actually received a Chat Transcript from my interaction with the Compaq/HP Chat Support Rep that quoted me the price of the replacement motherboard… I copied it below, but I would like to again comment about it missing the rest of the chat conversation after I let them know I didn’t believe I should have to pay for a defective part that they discontinued while my system was underwarrenty and asked to speak / chat with their supervisor…

Chat Transcript Begins Here
          ————————————————————–
          Hello Timothy.

Welcome to HP Total Care for Presario Notebook.. My name is Morrie. How may I assist you today?

Hi, Morrie, I’m back from yesterday…

Oh!

Welcome Back

I did some research on the V2000 and it seems that there are 100’s of other people with the exact same issue as I have with the V2000 just stoppnig to work…

The consenous is that motherboard has a defect and has been discontinued and there is a replacement motherboard…

I see.

I am listening please goahead.

I need to get the new replacement motherboard…

alright.

Here is the specification of new system board:System board (motherboard) – With ATI RS480M chipset – Full-featured, 3 USB 2.0 ports, S-Video port, and IEEE-1394a port – 1600 x 1200 external resolution at 75Hz

Its price is :$370.

————————————————————–
          Chat Transcript Ends Here

My eariler blog stated the cost was $375.00 for the replacement board, but it appears it is only $370.00 for it, so I miss typed… 🙂

Still after paying 398.00 for the repair service and 370.00 for the new motherboard plus tax… you are looking at to pay somewhere around 825.00 to fix a laptop you paid less than 1000.00 for… Especially for a part that they know is defective and they discontinued. It is just not good business.

BBB complaint

by bradena57 ·

In reply to Same issue with couple of our laptops

I’ve submitted a complaint to the better business bureau about HP and this situation.

Here is the link…

http://67.153.191.194/complaint/view/267957/c/cu5ec2#

We’d make a better case if more people submitted complaints about their V2000s.

My v2000 just died out of no where

by lovesmehalco ·

In reply to BBB complaint

I was just wondering how do i submit a complaint ….. i called compaq and talked to a supervisor …. while talking to a supervisor he hung up on me ….

BBB complaints

by bradena57 ·

If you want to make a complaint just go to bbb.com and click on the “Business” button near the top under “File a Complaint”. It will lead you through the steps from there.

WOW, my compaq v2000’s also dead

by tejasvia ·

Same power problem. For the past couple of months, my laptop kept turning off automatically once in a while, and a week ago, it went totally dead. Nothing visibly wrong (even inside), adapter seems to hold charge fine. I am sure this is a problem with this line of laptops because another of my friend’s has had power issues similar to mine, but his is still working.

Compaq Presario V2000 vanishing act

by kcrunch1 ·

My daughter’s laptop. It would start up okay then the screen would go blank intermitenly and you couldn’t bring it back up again. She had it only 14 months. The motherboard is the newer one though 394252-001. We tried hooking up an external monitor and it would go blank also. I contacted HP online support, they recommended I bring it into Radio Shack to have a tech look at it. I asked about the motherboard and was told there were no issues with the motherboards. I don’t want to spend another 759.00 what we paid again. So I also made a BBB complaint. They probably won’t do anything for any of us.

Its a chip here.

by cac86 ·

scenario,
          One day laptop doesnt turn on. I go to the hp website, and it says to pull battery and memory
          out, reseat 1 memory chip plug in laptop.
          So the first time it “did” work, i reinstall
          everything and it happens again, and again more frequently.

Then one day the fix stopped working.
          I was 3 months out of warranty. I took it to compUSA, he knew right away what (sight unseen) was wrong and recommended to buy a new laptop.
          So i tore it apart, and there is a burnt chip
          on the board.
          Im going with an IBM next time, for now though i’ll just replace the motherboard myself and save $
          -cac-

E-Complaint sent to BBB tonight.

by doriftogodream ·

We will see what happens. Make sure to select headquarters from the list(the city is Palo Alto,CA….and there is a BBB headquarters icon next to it)

As you go further into the complaint process you are asked to pick from another 4 locations in the Palo Alto region. I took the phone number of the HP representative listed in Braden57’s Better Business Burea’s link and ran that through google.com and added “hp” to the end of the number and I came up with the corporate address of 3000 Hanover st. blah, blah,blah in Palo Alto,ca.

I have just sent it in and will let you know.

BBB has come through

by doriftogodream ·

I just recieved a call from the BBB representative yesterday. she said she is backed up on handling the situation with the BBB complaints(HP IS ALSO BACKED UP), but she is definitely getting up to speed. she said the fedex mailing box is on the way and once it arrives I should pack my laptop in it and send it out. for a free out of warranty repair, and a 90 day warranty there after.

here is the link to the BBB claim.

https://sanjose.ebindr.com/complaint/view/278115/c/wj6pug?bbbid=1216
          BUT PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BBB CLAIM NUMBER FOR YOUR COMPLAINT YOU WILL BE ASSIGNED YOUR OWN. OTHERWISE THEY WILL THINK I AM FILING THE SAME COMPLAINT USING YOUR LAPTOP.

v2000 also dead

by noswads3 ·

I recently purchased a v2000 as for spairs or repair. All parts -HD, intel 1.6 pentium m, 512meg ram, cd rewriter , power supply , battery , screen good, wont boot, dead either with power lead or battery. On opening the case as per service manual instructions motherboard looks fine- however when removed a small integrated circuit( dual in line surface mount 8 pin chip has burned out/- )on underside of board not visible when first removing bottom cover

presario V2000 …a total waste

by downloadingjust4u ·

I bought this a year before and with in a couple of months my laptop started showing major problems like frequent automatic shut down,display probs and slow service.
      i m thinking to throw it away in the dustbin.
      i wll buy a new one and also suggest other people not to buy this shit

HP paid for mine

by bradena57 ·

In reply to presario V2000 …a total waste

Just wanted to let you all know that a few weeks after I filed the BBB complaint HP contacted me and offered to fix it for free. I told them I had already bought the replacement part on Ebay and they offered to reimburse me for that. And sure enough I got my check in the mail a few days ago.

HP Paid for your motherboard?

by tlawless ·

In reply to HP paid for mine

Bradena, can you post what they agreed to replace, were you out of warranty and maybe the HP Contact or Department that did this for you? I would like to contact them directly and I bet there are many others wanting to do the same… 🙂

Thanks!
          Tim

HP

by bradena57 ·

In reply to HP Paid for your motherboard?

I don’t have any contact info directly to whichever department did this. The only advice I have is to file a better business bureau complaint online. Its free and easy. Just explain your entire situation, how many problems you’ve been having with HP’s tech support, and how it seems to you that you have a motherboard that HP knows is faulty. They will take it seriously. I’m sure they don’t want this to turn into a recall. But please if you could don’t mention me in your complaint. I’ve already thanked them for helping me and I’ve already gotten an angry voice mail because people were posting on my BBB complaint after they had paid me and HP thought it was me still complaining. Anyway if you do that and word it correctly someone should contact you. When she called she offered to fix my computer free of charge. I told her I had already bought another motherboard on Ebay for $195, so she offered to send a check for that amount.

filed complaint myself

by chicagonncs ·

In reply to HP

I did the same Hp has been terrible there ar already class action lawsuits outthere you may use my name to complain to hp im not going to stop till they fix my computer

Another dissatisfied customer

by yiferous ·

In reply to HP

Sigh, same thing happened total blackout after less than 2 years of use. I’ve filed a complaint with the BBB if anyone is interested..

https://sanjose.ebindr.com/complaint/view/279837/c/a3r22e?bbbid=1216#

Dead Presario

by positiveproperties ·

I am having the same problem with my M2108. I took it in for repairs last week, thinking I needed a new power adapter and was told that the motherboard was bad. The computer is less than 2 years old! I am going to contact HP and give them a chance to fix the problem and if not, I think I will follow your advice and contact the BBB. I don’t know enough about computers to attempt a repair on my own, so to have someone else do the repairs would cost about as much as buying a new computer, which would not be HP.

more HP

by bradena57 ·

In reply to Dead Presario

To be honest two years isn’t that absurd for a break down. And unless you can prove something about your M2108 that seems to be HP’s fault I don’t think you will get anywhere. For example the only reason my complaint was taken seriously on the V2000 is the whole issue about me and others having a bad motherboard (412439-001) and then we were told to replace it with another one (394252-001 or 394253-001). And the original one wasn’t available through HP. Now I don’t know which motherboards were installed in the M series, but just make sure you have a real case because they are not going to fix your computer just because you have filed a BBB case with a broken computer.

No more HP

by positiveproperties ·

In reply to more HP

I contacted HP and was given repair center information. I plan to trash the computer and move on. You know, this is my second bad experience with HP. I bought a Pavillion a few years ago and had trouble with it locking up from the first week. Finally , I trashed it and got the Compaq laptop. If it is normal for a laptop to only last 2 years, I will not have another one. In fact, I plan to stay away from HP all together.

ANOTHER DEAD PIS-SORRY-O V2000

by bobalvarez ·

In reply to No more HP

I am amazed to find so many people with the same problem my daughter has. She has been complaining for several months about her PisSorryO V2000 just going dead in the middle of a paper she was doing.

I brought it home tonight and decided to see if anyone else on the web might be having the same problem. Sure enough–Google did it again! It didn’t take long to find this thread.

I believe we should all follow Branden A’s rec and file a complaint with the BBB on-line, and I plan to do that tonight. But I also believe we should band together and file a class action lawsuit.

My daughter is a young Resident Doctor working about 80 hours a week, and she is going to be inconvenienced big-time, possibly lose her papers, pictures, not to mention the special software she has and other stuff.

It is time HP find out it is cheaper to admit a problem like a big boy and fix it! If others can file big lawsuits and get action, then so can we. This is ridiculous–there is no doubt HP knew about the problem, quickly got a new motherboard to replace the bad one, and threw the old one away. The fact that they want to stone-wall and not admit the problem is very troubling to me. They need to recall everyone of these machines and fix the problem.

I plan to ask a couple of my attorney friends about this course of action. If anyone else has any ideas, let’s hear them. HP needs to be punished for what they are doing.

I, for one, will not be purchasing anymore HP or Compaq branded machines, and I am a CEO of 20 employee company.

Defective Comaq V2000

by vinpierce ·

In reply to ANOTHER DEAD PIS-SORRY-O V2000

My brother had the same problem with his compaq v2000 laptop. At first, it would not charge the battery then finally would not power on even with AC adapter. Ordered a new mother board and replaced it. But a few months later, his laptop started acting the same as before. So now,he doesn’t want to deal with HP products anymore. He bought a Dell. I now have his old-broken laptop, and will try to trouble shooting it when I have the time.
          Perhaps, HP have known of this particular problem a long time ago.

Whene did you get your motherboard?

by bobalvarez ·

Braden, where did you get your motherboard? There are several sites on ebay, but I have not found one with the same price you quoted.

Also, is it still working properly?

Vinpierce, the last guy to post, had a brother with the same problem that replaced the motherboard and it started acting up again.

Wonder if he bought one of the old, original motherboards?

Ebay motherboard

by bradena57 ·

In reply to Whene did you get your motherboard?

I bought mine from an Ebay store in mid-May of this year. It is actually the newer motherboard (the one that HP would sell you now), so it has worked fine so far. And yeah, it was a great deal. I had looked for a few weeks and up until then had found nothing close to $180. And this one even came with the entire bottom half of the computer, including the motherboard, processor, fan, heatsink, speakers, and plastic case. (And I then sold my dead motherboard with all of this for about $60, thus spending even less money.) So just keep looking. There will be someone just selling computers for parts and you will find what you need.

Thank You, Braden!

by bobalvarez ·

In reply to Ebay motherboard

You are so terrific! I give you a lot of credit for your creativity. As the CEO of my own company, you have demonstrated real ingenuity and persistance in taking a negative situation and finding the opportunities. I wish you well, but I feel you are destined for great things. Those that see the opportunities instead of problems in a situation, get ahead in life.

Thank you for your assistance.

By the way, I was born and raised in Knoxville.

Class Action Lawsuit???

by heresmikey ·

In reply to Thank You, Braden!

I too own a Compaq V2000 and had the same problems as above. I needed another laptop for my work so in haste, I bought another HP. (You’d think I would have known better, huh?) Now that I have some time to investigate the problem with my V2000, I see that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of similar complaints. I would like to have my case resolved as with Brandon’s. I would like to know if there is a class action lawsuit against HP in this matter. If there is, please add me.
          HeresMikey@pacbell.net

v2000 not so great

by outkall ·

In reply to Class Action Lawsuit???

i thought maybe i was the only one having problems with this laptop, i am a soldier in iraq and my compaq lets me watch movies and send emails, but not anymore, about 2 weeks ago it just died. i took it apart and nothing, i don’t smell any burnt plastic, but it still comes on from time to time just to annoy me and then turns off. i figures it the mother board or the power port that need to be replaced. i’ve tried to contact hp but i am not really in a place that i can be put on hold for that long and wait. i have sent a couple of emails no response. i had the same problems with this laptop before, i have only owned it for 12 months, i think this product is defective and hp sold it anyway, and thats why i can’t find the same parts to repair it, if anyone does take this to the next level please put my name down on the law suit adam.torres1@us.army.mil, i will contact the bbb and try to resolve it that way but i am very upset that my hp made such a crappy product.

Time to upgrade?

by rotozuk ·

In reply to Ebay motherboard

I’m no expert on this matter, but after a little research, it appears that Compaq offered many versions of the V2000. Heck, the name seems to be more for the case then it is for the guts of these computers. With Intel and AMD versions available, etc. I went ahead and bought one of the newer AMD boards on ebay. It is a used board out of another model of Compaq/HP laptop, but it is the motherboard that HP would sell you. Or so I hope.

Anyhow, I noticed that the current model of this laptop is a dual core processor version with a few new features, but the case and monitor look like they may be identical and the motherboard looks to be the same foot print. I was tempted to buy one of these current mother boards to give a try, but chickened out in the end.

Anyone want to do a little research?

Motherboard Replacement

by bradena57 ·

In reply to Time to upgrade?

Someone correct me if any of this sounds wrong…If you have a V2000 from a year ago or so with the 14″ screen, and the AMD processor then I believe your only options for a replacement board are the 412439-001 (the broken one that I think we all have or had), or either the 394252-001 or the 394253-001 (the ones that HP will sell you now). This is due to the size of the computer, and also the placement of the ports, for example the V2000 has the sound card in the front with the headphone and mic jacks in the front, and with a newer board those are on the side. And thats just one example. They get these motherboards and basically build the plastic case for them so all of the ports will line up. Also the newest version of this computer is the C500T, which looks like the V2000, but is a larger computer and has a different board due to its size.

394253-001 system board

by alutz ·

In reply to Motherboard Replacement

I have this board in my computer now and it is the one that died after almost 2 years. Seems like everyone else has a dif board?

Braden’s reply to my query

by tejasvia ·

Braden was gracious enough to reply to a mail that I sent him. I, however, havent had the time to follow up and file a complaint with the BBB yet. FWIW, I loved the V2000, esp the form factor and the keyboard worked like a charm with my Gentoo, much more than the macbook I have right now. 🙁

Braden got a replacement motherboard from ebay for around $200. After filing a complaint with the BBB, HP reimbursed him the amount.

old motherboard

by vinpierce ·

I got my motherboard from Ebay supposed be new but the guy sent me a used motherboard.
          I tried to contact the seller, but couldn’t get any response so,I installed it and was working great for about two months and then started acting up again. At first, it stops charging the battery, then a few days later, it won’t power up with an adapter.

ebay gone bad..

by rotozuk ·

In reply to old motherboard

Did your ebay board have the new part number, or the old one?

Ebay

by bradena57 ·

In reply to ebay gone bad..

I found one with the new model number so it has been working fine so far for a few months now.

same problem

by jcardozo ·

Hi,
          I bought mine in Canada, it has the same prob and it is not that old (around 2005).
          What action do you recommend? I am not under warranty, but this seems to be a defect in the 2000 series.
          Thanks,
          Jack

Class Action Lawsuit

by bobalvarez ·

In reply to same problem

I was just notified within the last 3 days that HP has succumed to a Class Action Lawsuit involved with this machine. HP has agreed to repair the problem at no cost from what I have read. They have also agreed to reimburse some expenses for repairs. I have not read all the details, but sounds like you and I are in luck. I still have my daughter’s and plan to get it repaired. My daughter really liked her machine before it died.

I don’t know if the class action lawsuit is applicable to Canadian, but it is hard to believe that it wouldn’t be.

When this happened to us and I read all the problems everyone was having with this unit, I knew it was a matter of time before a Class Action Lawsuit would be filed. I am glad this has happened, and hopefully, HP has learned a valuable lesson about treating customers reasonably.

Bob

More info on the Class Action Lawsuit

by heresmikey ·

In reply to Class Action Lawsuit

Can you tell us who is handling the Class Action Lawsuit and from which state? Is there a contact or lawfirm where we can get the info to list our names into the suit? Please post here so we all can respond in unity. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Compaq Presario V2000 is Dead – Final Resolve

by tlawless ·

All customers having the Compaq Presario V2000 Laptop dying issues, this is what I have learned…

1. My laptop had the same issues as described in the blogs, simply faded away and quit working all together. Started right around 11 months after purchase. Only had the 1yr Manufactures Warranty. It was the wifes laptop and I didn’t get around to looking at it for a few months, lots of reasons, but since we have several computer systems at home three was no urgency and I waited until my time freed up to check it out.
      2. Upon investigation and checking the internet, I discovered this blog, contacted HP/Compaq about the issue and was given the run around as noted in my blog postings.
      3. Contacted the Better Business Buereu and made an offical complaint of defective products concerning the V2000 specifically and noted the issue and the onther of the blogs.
      4. HP contacted me and said that there are not willing to do anything more than charge me 398.00 for the our of warranty repair service and 370.00 for the new motherboard plus tax… so, somewhere around 768.00 to fix a laptop I paid less than 1000.00 for…
      5. If you have a Compaq Presario V2000 Laptop and you are having any issues with it, be sure to get it fixed before the warranty runs out and it will only cost you around $298.00 for the inwarranty repairs, $398.00 for out of warranty services (that is the cost for them to look at it and tell you if they found something wrong with it. If you decide not to have it fixed, you are still out the $398.00) plus parts, in this case, the new mother board is $370.00 from HP/Compaq.

6. My best advice to any of you would be to avoid purchasing the HP/Compaq products all together. I have had absolutly unexceptable customer support experiences and have no confidence in their products or services especially since I did the same thing bradena57@ (user from the blogs) did…

I went to eBay and bought a brand new motherboard (Part #: 394253-001 ) for $120.00!!!!!

I have to put it together, but I think saving myself $650.00 to it quite a bargin.

Also, the the non-do-it-yourselfer, a local pc repair shop would probably swap out the motherboard for you for $100.00 or so…

Maybe you could get some more laptop memory or something nice for that someone special with the savings! 😉

The sega continues

by justin.corner ·

In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 is Dead – Final Resolve

I am having the same problem for the second time now, me and my brother both got V2000’s for christmas about 1 1/2 ago. His quit about 14 months in use (as mentioned above) and since then it was replaced.
        My screen has been broken 3 times now, mostly my fault (oops). I did the Online chat, and HP wanted $700 or so (I can’t remember) just for the screen and parts. Of course i searched the web and bought the $150 screen from another company each time and did it myself. Now it is performing just like mentioned but has not completely quit yet.
        I have not contacted HP about this problem yet, but each time before they did email me the transcript so they do actually log it somewhere, be it as simple or stupid as the mail servers log.
        Hope everyone else can resolve this issue, while I try to keep mine working to backup stuff.

Compaq Presario V2000 screen blanked out

by kcrunch1 ·

In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 is Dead – Final Resolve

I had the same issues as everyone else on this forum and also tried contacting HP via internet and phone to no avail. My laptop was only 2 months past the 12 month warrantee and they told me I would have to pay for the repairs. I filed a complaint with B.B.B.
        https://sanjose.ebindr.com/complaint/view/274015/c/y4pt2z?bbbid=1216#
        on 9/5/07. I was contacted about a month later by HP who changed their mind and was willing to repair the laptop free of charge. I just got it back today 10/20/07. My advice to everyone is make the company fix the laptop that is obviously flawed/defective and should not just stop working after just 13-14 months.

Compaq Presario V2000 intel

by btembo ·

I have a V2000 with the same symptoms of the unit suddenly powering down. the only difference is that it is an intel based system. Does anyone know what motherboard would need replacement, or the new replacement part number to fix this issue for intels.

Intel System

by bradena57 ·

In reply to Compaq Presario V2000 intel

As annoying as they are HP’s tech support will indeed tell you the model number of the new motherboard (and then pressure you to buy it) so try that first just to see what you need. If you want to see which one you have in there right now, pop open the compartment on the bottom that allows you to access the memory. There should be a sticker right there on the motherboard that has the part number and the recommended replacement part.

Having the Same Problem

by birdford ·

In reply to Intel System

Much to my consternation, I found this blog last night – my daughter’s V2000 shuts down instantly every time she tries to power up. She has about 2000 pictures from her African mission that are literally priceless to her on there. I can’t get her computer up and running long enough to copy one file to an external source, much less 2000. Any suggestions about the best way to approach this?

Save the pics.

by turbot007 ·

In reply to Having the Same Problem

My roomates computer is also an Intel based V2000 and his inevitably did the same as everyone elses here after warranty was up. I being a student of the computery and such felt obligated to help. As for the problem with the computer I have no Idea and also would like to know if anyone has gotten the “new” replacement part number.

But more to the point for your pictures you could take the hard drive out (read all the way through this) and mount it in either a external enclosure or in a desktop. Heres the important part, the IDE cable in the computer is too big, adapters are pretty readily bought for really cheap, I paid 5$ for mine. You can even leave the hard drive in your desktop or enclosure until you fix the laptop.

getting the pictures

by imreb ·

In reply to Having the Same Problem

You should get an external case for a 2.5″ hard drive. Remove the hard drive from the non functioning computer and place in the external case and connect (most likely through usb) to another computer. Then you can access the contents of the disk. Imre.

I’m fighting HP for all of us…

by heresmikey ·

I’m contacting a major TV station in my area and posting this problem of ours to a consumer complaint show that they have so it will air and maybe enlist more of us ‘disgruntled’ HP customers on the bandwagon. I’m sure that there are many more broken V2000’s out there and that the owner’s were not aware of the defective motherboard. Maybe this will stir up the higher management at HP since I’m sure it will tarnish their reputation even further. This is bad business for them to neglect our complaints and relying on the voided warranty as their defense when it is obvious that so many of their V2000 died just after one year. Of course I will not stop at just in my area but to continue to other media nationwide.
      “I will never purchase another HP product again!” and will push that slogan everywhere I go.

Great idea

by bradena57 ·

In reply to I’m fighting HP for all of us…

Just wanted to say that is a great idea! Let us know how it goes and any response you get from HP.

I can’t vouch for the laptops, but I’ve rarely had problems with HP servers

by maniacman ·

In reply to I’m fighting HP for all of us…

I think you’re quick to jump the gun and label all HP products as “crap”, but from my own experience, I have rarely had issues with HP products, including HP laptops. The laptop you mention was sold before the HP/Compaq merger, so I think your problem really dates back to Compaq, but in all fairness, since HP acquired Compaq, it’s now their problem to fix and they should honor that.

More on this…

by bradena57 ·

In reply to I can’t vouch for the laptops, but I’ve rarely had problems with HP servers

I also agree that we shouldn’t simply say all HP/Compaq products are junk. You will find “crap” products from every company out there. I’m selling computers at the moment and while talking to customers I hear bad stuff about all the brands. It really just depends on individual models I think. This one, the Compaq V2000 Series, just happens to be a crap product. Also, HP bought Compaq in 2002. My computer was purchased in the spring of 2006, and I believe most people here bought theirs around the same time. So this is definitely an HP product.

Also here’s an update on my V2000. After buying a used motherboard off Ebay in May and changing it out myself it has been working fine so far. And again the one I bought was the newer one that HP will sell you now if you need a replacement. The computer itself has been okay, but the power adapter did go out last week, so I had to spend another $80 for a new one.

Good luck to all with your computers and Happy Thanksgiving.

So HP stiffed their customers with a lemon of a product

by maniacman ·

In reply to More on this…

I agree that they should have the crap sued out of them if they are refusing to correct this known problem, as they should issued a major recall on it.

Another one bites the dust….

by hochdesign ·

Damn, I really liked that laptop and now it has followed in the steps of all the others, blacking out, then able to boot from AC only and now dead as a doornail. I bought it brand new after my Sony A series with the giant screen also did this. Count me in for the V2000 class action lawsuit.

oh man!

by unclestanx86 ·

In reply to Another one bites the dust….

all that stuff happened to me too about a week and a bit more ago…

i still dunno if its the motherboard or the powersupply…this really sucks…i dont want to spend any money on this because the v2000 is kinda old now and i dont want to spend anymore money on this crappy laptop…

what should i do???

Join the crowd…

by heresmikey ·

In reply to oh man!

If you’ve read the previous threads, you’ve probably have gone through the same routine as almost everyone here. It seems that the motherboard is the reason it won’t power up. The first thing you need to do is to call HP and complain just to get on record. Then go to the BBB and file a complaint against them. I haven’t seen a class action lawsuit concerning the V2000 yet but I’m sure there will be one coming up. I will post to keep everyone alerted. In the meantime, boycott HP products.

Mine died for the second time

by starmonche ·

Just before the 1 year manufacturer warranty was up (September 2006) my laptop died as described. I sent it in and they replaced the mainboard and I got it back within 3 days. Nice. However, a tad over 90 days later my PCMCIA slot quit working. They refused to do anything about it as it was out of warranty. Fine. Also, I’d oftentimes have to power it all the way off as reboots would sometimes fail. Tolerable. This morning (September 2007) my laptop has officially died again. Same thing, charge light doesn’t work, it refuses to power on, etc. Compaq will never get another dime from me.

Possible Litigation…

by desireemattice ·

Hello everyone…I wanted to let you know, I have been in contact with an attorney regarding this situation. He is an attorney in San Fransisco and is looking into this issue. Paul A. Matiasic, of Matiasic Roth & Johnson, LLP. Below is a link to their site.

http://mrjlawyers.com/index.html

So if there is any interest there, you could probably contact him. FYI

Possible Litigation

by tawcaw2 ·

In reply to Possible Litigation…

I have just found this site and I, too, have had the same identical problem. This really angers me that they already know of the defect but won’t recall it. When I contacted HP they immediately knew it was the motherboard, of course, and stated the out-of-warranty replacement price of $350 for the new motherboard. But instead of encouraging the replacement of the motherboard, they did a hard core sales pitch and were VERY agressive. When I refused to agree to purchase a new HP from them immediately, they were very turt, and told me the offer would expire in 30 minutes. I refused, and began to do research on my own.
        Thanks so much for the helpful info. I did contact the attorney on a previous email, waiting to hear back. Will also file BBB complaint. This is incredible!! I will never purchase another HP product.

Thanks again!!

Same results as mine!

by markmustuk ·

In reply to Possible Litigation

I registered a complaint with the BBB yesterday on exactly the same problem with my motherboard. If I don’t get satisfaction from this complaint, then I plan to exersize my options in a class action lawsuit against HP. Please add me to this list. debupdike@hotmail.com

Same here dead motherboard

by juto03 ·

In reply to Same results as mine!

1 Year 2 Weeks and the motherboard is
          dead. Dame Hp. I don’t have the money
          thy want to fix my laptop

Same here dead motherboard

by juto03 ·

In reply to Same results as mine!

1 Year 2 Weeks and the motherboard is
          dead. Dame Hp.

HP inherited this screwup from Compaq and refuses to acknowledge it

by maniacman ·

I’ve used the newer HP laptops and haven’t seen any issues with them, but the Compaq branded laptops were as crappy as they can be. It seems as if HP could care less of the problems they inherited from Compaq and are trying to force customers into buying new products. I do agree that HP should have come clean and issue a major recall on this product, but I take it that anything branded as “Compaq” is no longer their problem and they could care less, even if it means pissing off their own customers.

Correction

by bradena57 ·

In reply to HP inherited this screwup from Compaq and refuses to acknowledge it

HP still has a line of both laptop and desktop computers with the Compaq badge (check out their website). They are at the lower end of their product line. These problems have nothing to do with the former “Compaq” company. They haven’t existed for 5 years.

Add me to that list if it still is active somewhere.

by jjkim ·

I’m willing to do something about this.

I am having the same problem as many people on this forum although I didn’t try to contact customer support (beyond warranty period anyway so I figured it was futile). I’m not computer savy so I put it away in my room and spent the last 2 years of my college life without a laptop. I knew I wouldn’t be able to afford any type of repairs on my college student budget. I am outraged to find out that I went through all of that in vain. This company knew that the computer had problems? They KNEW? I’m a poor college student (literally) paying myself through school with multiple jobs and I was able to save up to buy what I thought was an affordable dependable laptop that would hopefully help me get the maximum time out of my day (between my jobs and what not). But it crapped out on me and in this day and age not to have a laptop AS A STUDENT is almost debilitating. Well I just thought I’d add myself to apparently the thousands of people who had the same problem.

I am not a happy customer. Most definitely.

More of the same

by pnut617 ·

I have also had this same problem, and would like to add a little something to the thought that HP knows about it, and is doing nothing.

My first problem occurred about 6 months after I purchased my laptop. The ac input actually melted, and I had to replace it. I had no problem doing so, especially since it was obviously underrated (it was so hot I used it to warm my living room). New power supply, no problems. Then the jack on the laptop itself started having problems. It would wiggle, and it was apparent that it needed to be soldered. Well, I had the warranty still, so I sent it in, and got it back with a brand new 412439-001 motherboard. Well, as we all now know, this isn’t a good thing. Apparently though, I sent it in before they realized there was a problem with that model. Several months later, I had the problem we’re all familiar with, the battery stopped charging and eventually it wouldn’t even power on. Well, I was still under warranty, so I sent it in again. This time I get it back and the repair sheet they send with it says they replaced my “LCD component”. Well, nothing had been replaced, and the problem was the same. So, I decide to try again. I made sure to tell them exactly what the problem was, and that I needed to have THAT problem fixxed. I sent it in, and got it back with a different sheet. Saying that they were unable to contact me to authorize the repairs I required. In other words, they were going to charge me $700 to fix a problem that they caused with this faulty motherboard. Oh, and they never did try and contact me. Not once.

Thanks for all the help HP customer support! You’re the best!

Lawsuit

by jdsicat ·

I am having the same problem with the presario v2000 I
      purchased in 2005… does anyone know where I may be able
      to get information regarding what hp is doing to fix the
      problem and/or any updates regarding the class action
      lawsuit?

Class action lawsuit

by jajennings ·

In reply to Lawsuit

Count me in by all means,having same problems in less than 2 years,their should have been a recall………….

I agree Compaq is a piece of crap

by dabraidqueen ·

In reply to Class action lawsuit

For about $600 I would of just kept my money in my pocket and turned my head away. A waste what a waste..faulty equip, horrible customer service I will never but a compaq/hp anything every… thats what happens when laptops cost $600. How can I find out more info about the class action lawsuit.. I’d like to join

update from above….BBB has come through for me!!!

by doriftogodream ·

I just recieved a call from the BBB representative yesterday. she said she is backed up on handling the situation with the BBB complaints(HP IS ALSO BACKED UP AS WELL), but she is definitely getting up to speed. she said the fedex mailing box is on the way and once it arrives I should pack my laptop in it and send it out. for a free out of warranty repair, and a 90 day warranty there after.

here is the link to the BBB claim.

https://sanjose.ebindr.com/complaint/view/278115/c/wj6pug?bbbid=1216

BUT PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BBB CLAIM NUMBER FOR YOUR COMPLAINT YOU WILL BE ASSIGNED YOUR OWN. OTHERWISE THEY WILL THINK I AM FILING THE SAME COMPLAINT USING YOUR LAPTOP.

same problem but v2600

by marybyerly ·

My Compaq Presario v2600 CTO just died recently and wouldn’t power up at all. All I got was the battery charge light, but that would go off after I plugged it in for like 5 minutes. The LED power light never came on at all. I ordered a new adapter and a new battery and still the same problem. So I decided to take it apart. Nothing looked amiss, no melted soldering or anything burnt. I took the fan, heat sink off, and it had some dust in there. I cleaned all the visible dust off and figured I’d probably have to either buy a new motherboard and replace it myself or have someone else do it so I put it back together. Just for the heck of it I pushed the power button and it powered right up!

I even went as far as taking the keyboard and motherboard off.

I’m thinking maybe something just needed to be reseated and/or maybe dusting it helped???
      I hope this helps someone. It might not be the solution for everyone but maybe try reseating everything.

If you do take it apart make sure you label all your screws and remember where you took them out from. If you don’t, putting it back together will be a pain in the neck. LOL.
      HP has dissasembly manuals on their website. Just go to the support page for your model.

Add another to the list…

by tlarham ·

My v2000 up and died for no reason — paperweight. No lights, fan, nada. I am so glad I found this group of folks with the same problem…at the suggestion of the thread, I’ve also filed a BBB complaint. We’ll see how it goes.

Add another to the list…

by tlarham ·

Sorry — double post.

A chat with HP…..sad story

by sobs1975 ·

In reply to Add another to the list…

Same story as the rest of ya….but this time even the tech says its unfair…After she tells me its gonna cost $300 to fix my $600 laptop…lol details below…

Thank you for your recent use of HP Real-time Chat Support. For your
        records, we have provided a complete transcript of your chat session
        below.

NOTE: Please do not reply to this automatically generated message.

If you need further assistance, you can initiate another chat session at
        http://www.hp.com/support/chat, or you can access other HP support options
        at http://www.hp.com/go/assistance.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running
        please visit http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare.

Chat Transcript Begins Here
        ————————————————————–
        Hello Stan

Hi rachel

Welcome to HP Total Care for Presario Notebooks. My name is Rachel. How
        may I assist you today?

I have a v2000 notebook. I have purchased 2 new hp batteries and one
        charger

I cant get the battery to charge and I cant get power with the ac adapter

Not to worry let me see how i could help you resolve the issue.

Can you please provide me a detailed description on exactly what happened?

I purchased it about 16 months ago

I plugged it in after seeing that battery was at 12%…the battery meter
        never went away…no charge

Please provide me the serial number S/N and product number P/N of your
        notebook to help me to assist you better. ( It is a 10 or 12 digit
        alphanumeric number on a sticker at the bottom of your notebook.

give me a couple min ok??

Sure

Take your time.

ok ep381ua#aba

Sound right??

Yes

2570nr

cnf6010j9p

Thank you for the information.

I ma not sure what can be done here, but I have read now that there are
        hundreds of customers with this problem….it seems after ruling out the
        oem battery and oem charger there is a motherboard problem that HP has
        known about…..Am I right?

May I know if you have checked with only AC adapter?

two new ac adapters pn 402018-001

Thank you for the information.

The possibility of two new adapters being bad is unreasonable….plus the
        batteries

the adapters worked on my buddies hp dv laptop……

Please provide me few moments.

ok sorry… i type fast

Thank you for your time and patience.

The issue at hand seems to be related to a physical hardware malfunction
        which would require a physical examination to analyse and repair the
        issue.

The issue may be with motherboard and DC jack in notebook

May i know if you have extended notebook warranty?

Are you with me?

Please respond as a delay may cause a disconnection in our chat session.

Hello

Yes

No i do not have the warranty….but why does my 5 year old toshiba
        work…but my Hp does not?????

I understand your situation.

After only 16 months???

However as i mentioned the issue may be with controllers of battery and DC
        jack.

There are alot more people like me with this problem…

The issue you are facing now is rare case.

However not to worry.

what can be done??

As you have already checked with different AC adapter and battery the
        issue is with motherboard controllers and is hardware issue.

If you want you can send notebook to repair to HP or you can contact
        nearest service centers.

And for how much $$$$..Remember I only paid $600 for this laptop….

HP paid mailin costs $298+ and it is total repair of the notebook

You can also take the notebook to nearest service center

oh thats it???? lol…. I cant see spending that much money to fix a
        computer that is only 16 months old

I am sorry for the situation you are in now.

Dont you feel that is unfair ????

Yes .

I can understand that such issues with the computer can be very upsetting.

I can file my own complaint with the BBB. And make sure that I let
        everyone know about my experience with HP…

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Toshiba does not offer apologies…

If you want I can escalate the case to case manager and you will get
        callback to resolve issue as soon as possible.

And that will only confirm that I have to pay for a defective laptop…

Yes, Please do that and also provide me a copy of this conversation.

The case manager will resolve issue at highest priority for your notebook.

I would hope so….Can you please email me a transcript for this issue??

Sure

I am sending the chat transcript to your email please check it and confirm
        if you received it.

ok i min here

1 min…lol

Sure take your time.

nothing yet….

sobs1xxx@gmail.com

Please provide me exact date and time and also timezone for callback

cst 03/08/2008 9:37

773-968-zzzz

9:37pm

obviously…lol

tinfo1

Thank you

I’m sorry, the previous sentence was sent in error. Please disregard it.

ok

still nothing…

Please provide me few moments.As I also provide you case number.

ok ty…sorry to sound like a jerk however I have to stand up for
        myself….I would expect a product to last longer than 16 months and for
        HP to ignore 100’s of people and their same exacvt complaint to be
        ridiculous…

Here is case number 8009405472

ok this will also be included in the email correct????

Yes

I will now send email with entire chat session please check your email.

nada….

nothing

Many problems with Compaq V2000 models…

by marcus ·

In reply to A chat with HP…..sad story

These are basically the same as the HP DV1000 models. We see a lot of them come in for DC jack repair at our shop, but a tremendous number of them end up being a transistor/chip issue rather than a DC jack issue. Sometimes we’re able to fix the problem, but most of the time the customer ends up with a new motherboard. I would have to say these laptops are as troublesome as any we see come in here.

BBB Solved my issue.

by tlarham ·

In reply to Add another to the list…

HP agreed to fix mine once I filed a BBB case.

Free repair and 90-day war.

HP Fixed Mine!!!!!

by jfm ·

I had the same problem as everyone here and thought I was just stuck. After doing a little research, however, and finding this thread, I thought I would try to get HP to fix it.

I first emailed via their contact page regarding my laptop and the “known” defect. I received a polite and prompt reply denying any knowledge of a defect and pointing out that my warranty was out.

I replied that this person must be the only one, because the Better Business Bureau and hundreds, probably thousands, of people on the web with the same problem know about it. I said something like I was giving them the opportunity to do the right thing before I took the next step.

I received another polite email saying that there was a problem, but that it wasn’t with my computer (???) and saying that they could “forward the case to the concern case manager who can help you further in this regard”, so I replied with the information that they requested and asked that this be done.

I was emailed with a case number and told that someone would call me at the number supplied within 3-5 days.

I was called the next morning. The person was very polite and asked me to describe the problem again and verify the serial number. He looked it up and said that he couldn’t find anything on my computer, and, because he couldn’t (???), he was going to fix it at no charge.

He sent a FEDEX overnight box to forward the computer in, and I did. I didn’t have to send the battery nor the power brick. In about a week’s turnaround, I had the computer back in my hands and working as well as before.

In my case, anyway, the service was polite, prompt, and competent all the way through, and I give credit to this thread and all who have gone before. Maybe this will help someone else.

Jere

Sadly… my V2000 has bit the dust :-(

by heorot245 ·

In reply to HP Fixed Mine!!!!!

I’ve just done the email to HP support and decided to just do the BBB simultaneously. I hope I get the quick support and repair.

Spoke with HP

by heorot245 ·

In reply to Sadly… my V2000 has bit the dust :-(

HP customer care told me that they have no records or advisories regarding this issue. I was told they would not repair the unit at no cost. I wasn’t even given an estimate for replacing the motherboard as the person (Steve) had no information to provide me with on that. I advised I went to BBB and that seemed to cut everything very short. So, maybe your mileage would be better if you waited to contact BBB until after the initial phone conversation with HP. Anyway, they are still in denial over this. I’m waiting to hear back from BBB, but they said that HP has 30 days to respond to them. Looks like a long road ahead.

Mine is dead too…………….

by axiseye ·

In reply to Spoke with HP

How long ago did you get yours?.. Mine was doing the same thing so I just bought a new one
          took it out last night to see if I could get it going for my son…No luck.,…maybe i will sumit to BBB too…… Can they track my laptop by ser.#… I hope so.

We have dead v2000s in Ireland, too

by wh ·

In reply to Mine is dead too…………….

Hello from the Emerald Isle.
          Just wanted to say that our 26 month old V2000 just blacked out in mid-use and is totally dead. Tried new charger, reseating memory, hard drive etc. – zilch.
          I’m going to contact HP here and see what happens.
          We don’t have a BBB to complain to as far as I know. Any advice welcome.

HP won’t help

by wh ·

In reply to We have dead v2000s in Ireland, too

I’ve exchanged e-mails with HP and spoken to 3 different people at HP UK but they say “not a known issue” and “out of warranty”. About what I expected.
          Apparently, it is complicated by the fact that the laptop was bought in Thailand and I live in Ireland and parts are often specific to the country where the unit is manufactured.
          I urge anyone with this fault in the USA or Canada to use the muscle of the BBB. We don’t have it here but I am going to try Trading Standards. You get nowhere on your own against big corporations.
          In any case, I won’t be buying any more HP products, that’s for sure.

Imported V2000

by douglas_om ·

In reply to We have dead v2000s in Ireland, too

Hello from Brazil. HP Brazil won’t help me because I didn’t buy my laptop in Brazil. Pretty bad, huh? So I suppose the only option I have is to order a new motherboard myself and have it replaced. Or, sell the parts…

I also want to ask everybody to keep posting news about this major issue with the V2000 series. Specially if you had it fixed. 😉 Thanks.

UPDATE: BBB came through for me :-)

by heorot245 ·

In reply to Spoke with HP

Just as previous poster, I was given an “in-warranty” repair (free) and a 90 day warranty on the unit after that. I should have the laptop back in about a week. I never received an explanation why HP is not dealing with it directly, but I’m happy that they have agreed to do the right thing and repair my computer.

Getting the ball rolling with HP

by davet001 ·

In reply to UPDATE: BBB came through for me :-)

Hi – my laptop started giving me trouble about 3 weeks
          ago now. The screen would slowly white out, now I can’t
          use it at all. I got it to the tech support guy at a friend’s
          company, who told me it’s definitely the motherboard,
          and he’s saved as much as my data as possible on a new
          external hard drive, although he said it’s beginning to
          have problems with the Presario’s hard drive, too.

I did a hail Mary Web search and found this thread, so
          rather than outright buying a new computer and writing it
          off, I’m trying to follow the same route others have
          sketched out here. I called today to the HP support
          number for Compaq Presario products…got a call center
          in India, and the customer rep was polite but very curt on
          the phone. She said give her the serial number and she’d
          see if it was part of the recall. I said “Oh, so there’s a
          recall on the V2000 now?” and she said no, she’d see –
          she said the V2000 is a very broad product line.

She took my number and said it’s not covered, and that
          the recall she has in the system is only for the battery –
          that if I’d had that problem, she could have sent me a new
          battery, and that it covers nothing else. I said I’d read
          about this thread, and that many people were having
          similar problems, and that I wanted them to take more
          action than to say sorry. She said there was nothing she
          was authorized to do, and I said then I will be registering
          a complaint with the BBB. She said “You will do as you
          wish, sir,” and that was as far as I got with her.

So, I plan to file the complaint, but does anyone else have
          any more tips they could add to the process? Some seem
          to have gotten traction mentioning BBB action, or
          escalating to a supervisor…does anyone have a better
          road map for what I should do after the BBB complaint?

Thanks to all who brought this info together.

Dave

EDITED TO ADD: I bought this laptop in January of 2006. I
          still don’t know the motherboard number – the tech
          support person didn’t have the information for my
          computer, and I didn’t have the computer in front of me
          to look up my motherboard number.

Looking for help in Canada!

by countrybumpkin39 ·

In reply to Getting the ball rolling with HP

Hi there.Just wondering if you have had any luck with HP. Purchased a V2000 in June 2007 in Canada, it crapped out in October 2008 have contacted The Source where it was bought and they say that because it is was not under warranty that there is nothing that they can do.
          Any ideas

Thanks

Lauri Ann

UPDATE: BBB came through for me, too

by davet001 ·

In reply to Getting the ball rolling with HP

Hi all – I just wanted to let you know that after contacting the BBB – and waiting several weeks for the gears to grind their way along – I was contacted by HP’s corporate office in response to my BBB complaint. The guy on the phone asked me to tell him what the problem with my computer is – I gave him a short rehash, and he said he’d been authorized to approve a one-time out-of-warranty repair.

I was thankful, but I asked him what had happened to change HP’s mind between the time I called tech support and was told there was no problem, and speaking to him and being authorized for the free repair. He paused for a moment, then repeated “I’ve been authorized to approve a one-time out-of-warranty repair.” So, no mea culpa, but I didn’t want to push the point.

I got a FedEx box sent to me about a week later, and they had said to be sure to back up all your data before sending it because they basically wipe/reinstall. When I’d had a friend’s office tech guy look at mine, he said that my hard drive was also failing, so at that time I bought an external backup hard drive and he salvaged as much of it as he could – mostly some work documents. I THOUGHT he’d done a complete backup, but being without a laptop I hadn’t really dug through what was on the external HD.

When my laptop arrived yesterday, I found a checked box on it that showed they also replaced the hard drive with a new one. So when I fired up the external drive to restore stuff, I was really bummed to find that basically, I had some work-related word documents backed up and almost nothing else.

Word to the wise – have a backup for your data, even (or especially) if it’s only for personal stuff. My wife has some of our pictures backed up, but I’ve lost most of what had been on the laptop – from little reminder memos of cute things my kids had said to bookmarks and passwords for infrequently visited sites. Sigh.

Bottom line is, if you can wait for the process to grind out over a couple months, it’s well worth trying to work through the BBB process.

Thanks to everyone here who diligently posted their problems and the roadmap to making the whole process work. I sent out a desperate Google search for Compaq Presario motherboard, and found this site, and it’s made all the difference between scrapping my computer to buy a new one and getting it replaced for free with(hopefully) many more years of trouble-free use.

Dave

any advice on what to do?

by kelbell17 ·

ive been told my problem was with my motherboard, but in the end was told not to even bother it cant be fixed. my computer lasted about two and a half years and then bit the dust. just after my insurance on it expired.

ive been to so many different repair places and have wasted SO much money trying to figure this thing out. and i too am a student paying my way through college and not having a computer is one of the hardest things a student can go through i think.

anyways, im wanting to know if theres anything i can do to get my computer fixed or receive a new one. all this talk about a lawsuit, and i would like to get in on it.
      does anyone know??

contact info or where can I go??

by ba980 ·

In reply to any advice on what to do?

My motherboard just died and now I’m trying to get a replacement or get them to replace it. How can I do this?

My V2000 died after 13 months

by bkm48198 ·

In reply to contact info or where can I go??

My wife purchased a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop and it worked for 13 months, just till the warranty expired and she called Compaq and they wouldn’t do anything about it then so she bought a newer Compaq laptop that works great, but we are stuck with a $500 piece of junk. I recently thought about getting it working again thinking maybe I could find a motherboard fairly cheap since it has been 2 years since it died but HP told me it is about $300 plus installation, for that price I can buy a better new laptop. I contacted the BBB because so many of the motherboards on the V2000 model have failed and was told they would give me a $200 credit towards the purchase of a new HP product. I for one will not be buying anything that has a HP or Compaq logo on it in the future. When the motherboard died we assumed it was a fluke thing but after checking online I found that ALOT of the V2000’s had the same motherboard problem and that HP has changed the part # of the motherboard,which shows they know there was a problem but are unwilling to stand behind their products. Here is an email I received from HP after letting them know that when the V2000 died we bought another HP laptop thinking maybe we had done something wrong causing the motherboard to go bad, now we know there was a design flaw and we did nothing wrong.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for getting back to me with the product information. Unfortunately motherboard repairs are no longer available on a unit that is over 700 days out of warranty. The only offer I can make is a 50% refund (not to exceed $200) off the purchase of a new HP unit. I see the Compaq Presario C500 s/n CND7110NMS is already out of warranty by over 200 days; otherwise I could have applied the offer to the Compaq purchase.

Cynthia Ferguson
          Hewlett Packard Company
          Executive Customer Relations
          3000 Hanover St
          Bldg 5L M/S 1247
          Palo Alto, Ca 94304
          cynthia.ferguson@hp.com
          1-650-857-3936
          1-650-852-8330 (fax)

Don’t buy HP Junk laptops, they won’t stand behind them!!!

Facing same problem

by vikramsondhi_1984 ·

Hi Iam facing the same the problem with my compaq presario v2000.
      So how did you got it resolved please let me know as iam not able to figure it out the whether battery, charger, or motherboard is gone bad.
      you can also email me at vikramsondhi_1984@yahoo.co.in
      Please help

I fixed mine!

by philip ·

I found the problem was due to a capacitor that was shorted. I used a low ohms meter to track down the bad capacitor. Removed the capacitor, plugged it in and the battery started to charge. Then I found the power switch had also failed. Replaced the switch and was then able to power on the laptop again.

Pictures

by isackaranja ·

In reply to I fixed mine!

Hi Phil,

My V2000 also crushed and i have had to replace it with a Dell. Could you please post photos of your motherboard and the components that you replaced.

Viewing 18 reply threads