General discussion

compare 700mb & 650mb cap. cdrom discs

By jamesvassar ·
What is the significant and/or technical diffence between a 700mb and a 650mb capacity cdrom discs? Answers should exclude the obvious 50mb capacity diffence, unless that is the only important fact, which I doubt is the case. In the scheme of things, a 50Mb difference isn't that big of a deal any more!

What technical considerations need to be taken when deciding to use a 700mb versus a 650mb discs? I understand formatting of one versus the other can cause cdr & data recording problems. What specifically causes the problem, can they be avoided? Does the problem only occur in recording audio files? Will 700Mb discs only work on post-YEAR2000 cdr drives or are they compatible with pre-YEAR2000 cdr drives? Why is such a big deal being madeout of one versus the other?

I would have thought this would be a simple answer, but I did not find a single comment, of any kind addressing any aspect of cdrom technology, on the www.techrepublic.com website. It's possible I just didn't dig deepenough.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jamesvassar In reply to compare 700mb & 650mb cap ...

I have visited www.cdrom-guide.com and www.cnet.com and I did not find relavant information to answer my questions.

Collapse -

by allan In reply to compare 700mb & 650mb cap ...

Take a look at http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discs/everythingmedia.html
There are also other newsletters that have additional info thet may be relevant.
You can subscribe for free - I don't work for Roxio but I'm impressed with the quality of the info about CDR on their site.

Collapse -

I have checked out roxio and they are satisfying at a beginner to intermediate level information, but Roxio did not meet my questions. But, I want to thank you very much for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that I had visited Roxio. Thanks for the assist.

Collapse -

by The Scruffy1 In reply to compare 700mb & 650mb cap ...

the only answer i can suggest is that if you are copying a audio cd,it wont fit on a 650meg but will on a 700meg,i know its not much of an answer but you never know.

Collapse -

That is also the response provided by Roxio and www.cdrom-guide.com and www.cnet.com. But, I want to thank you very much for the suggestion. Thanks for the assist.

Collapse -

by ridire In reply to compare 700mb & 650mb cap ...
Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to compare 700mb & 650mb cap ...

Greetings,

No, the difference is not 50MB. The difference is not measured in Megabytes, but in minutes.

CD-R (for compact disk, recordable) is a type of write once, read many (WORM) compact disk (CD) format that allows one-time recording on a disk. CD-R disks usually hold 74 minutes (650 MB) of data, although some can hold up to 80 minutes (700 MB). CD-Rs can be created in any CD-R or CD-RW drive.

Regards,

Maxwell

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to compare 700mb & 650mb cap ...

Greetings,

No, the difference is not 50MB. The difference is not measured in Megabytes, but in minutes. And the difference id 6 minutes.

CD-R (for compact disk, recordable) is a type of write once, read many (WORM) compact disk (CD) format that allows one-time recording on a disk. CD-R disks usually hold 74 minutes (650 MB) of data, although some can hold up to 80 minutes (700 MB). CD-Rs can be created in any CD-R or CD-RW drive.

Regards,

Maxwell

Back to Hardware Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next