General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Connecting modem/router to wireless router

by seque ·

I have BT Voyager 190 modem router that I would like to connect to another wireless router (TPLINK 641G). I’ll call BT Voyager as router 1 and TP LINK as router 2. BT Voyager connects to BT socket for DSL. Now router 2 does not have built-in modem – that is why I want to link router 1 that has built-in modem in it to feed router 2 with internet and share it to other pc’s as well as wirelessly. I set up router1 and tested it on its own connecting direcly to pc, configuring it as to have ip of 192.168.1.1 and Internet works fine. When I connect router 1 to WAN port of router 2 – 2nd router gets Internet IP adderss as well as DNS server ip address – but does not share internet connection at all. I set up the second router to be with ip of 192.168.1.5 and enabled DHCP to be out of range of first and second routers. From pc I can ping second router – the one that connects to pc – but I cannot ping the first one. I can ping DNS server and internet ip address. Do I need to set up some sort of routing for the 1st router to pass internet to the other one and that the other one could share it? I connect second router to my pc using CAT5 straight ethernet cable. I tried all sorts of combinations – but nothing works. In the first routers settings I also have to set it up not to use NAT but opt to PPP extention – this way second router picks up internet IP address from the first one – otherwise it would nit want to pickup LAN IP address for the WAN port sayig that LAN and WAN cannot coexist. Please help set this whole thing up.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Maybe

by jdmercha ·

In reply to Connecting modem/router to wireless router

I’m nat familier with your particular equipment, but I have set up a cable modem – router – wireless router environment.

Each router does have to be configured with a PC director connected to it (the CAT5 cable). It sounds like you are very close to getting it all set.

First of all, your routers should actually have two IP addresses. One for incoming and one for outgoing. Your ISP shouls assign an IP address to the incoming side of your first router. It will not be a 192.168.x.x address. The outgoing IP address from the first router should be 192.168.1.1, as you have stated.

Now router two should have an input IP assigned by router 1. This should be someething like 192.168.1.5, again as you have stated. But the output side of router 2 should have a differnet subnet address, like 192.168.2.1. You may have to configure this mannually.

When you connect your computer to router two you should get an address like 192.168.2.2. Onve you see these adresses correctly, then make sure each of the routers is configured to forward all HTTP trafic.

Hope this helps

Viewing 0 reply threads