General discussion

Continuing Education

By JonathanDeeHarris ·
I have worked as an IT Admin and Engineer for several years and now I am looking into masters programs in hopes of better positioning myself for an IT management position. I was hoping to get some feedback to help me decide the best track to take.

- Which degree would be better, MBA or Masters in IT Management?
- How much of a difference does the school I attend make?
- Is attending a program like University of Phoenix or Keller University less credible?
- Are state schools more reputable than private ones?
- Any suggestions?

I have talked with colleges and executives alike and gotten a very diverse set of answers to these kinds of questions. It seems that most people are partial to the education al track they followed themselves. Also I have not met any two IT managers that got to their positions the same way.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Some Thoughts

by NotSoChiGuy In reply to Continuing Education

The last paragraph of your post was quite accurate: there are multiple paths to the same position. That said, some paths may be smoother/easier than others.

For example, if you are working in an area that has a lot of UofO alumni, you may find it easier to get noticed if you attend one of their programs as opposed to a Phoenix or Keller/DeVry.

In the end, I'd recommend going with the program that most closely aligns to your interests. Doing what you like as opposed to doing what you feel you need to do seems to usually be the more successful track.

Back to IT Employment Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

General Discussion Forums