General discussion

Locked

Corrupt Exchange Information Store

By evogel ·
I have a client who has a Windows SBS 4.5 server with SP6a installed and Exchange 5.5 SP3. Circular logging is not enabled. The priv.edb is about 4GB and it resides on a 30GB hard drive. The server also is using Backup Exec 8.0 for SBS for its backup software (upgraded about three months ago) and Trend Micro Office Scan as its antivirus software (changed from Norton Antivirus when the server was purchased). The server is a new Dell PowerEdge 2400. There are no other servers on the network. At random intervals (ranging from 3-6 months) the information store on this server stops with error (when you try to start it), "server specific error 4294966746" and entries in the event viewer indicate that there is a corruption in the exchange information store. If I try to resolve this error via following the steps in KB article Q219419 then the server will lock up when I get to the hard recovery step of the priv.edb (none of the steps before that resolve the problem) and to make a long story short, I will just have to restore from backup (a full backup of exchange is run every night). This problem happened on the old server as well as the new and it happened when Exchange still had SP2 on it. When data was transferred from the old server to the new the exmerge utility was used to bring all of the users data into a new exchange database. There is also a script that runs each night that stops the antivirus software prior to running the backup. There are no entries in Dr.Watson or the event viewer that give a clue as to why this is happening. I would like any suggestions that would help me find out why this is happening or how this can be prevented from happening in the future.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by L Lynch In reply to Corrupt Exchange Informat ...

I haven't had this error before, however I was having a similar problem.

To isolate the problem we change the logging on the connections to be maximum so that we could see everything that was going through.

For our problem, we then discoveredthat the Information Store become corrupt when we received a particular email from an someone that non in the company knew. After isolate and repairing the corrupt IS we then place a barring on that particular email address.

This probably won't help you, but maybe it will provide you with further ideas

Back to IT Employment Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums