Question

Del Inspiron 5150

By JSerrago ·
My trusty and yet older Inspiron 5150 is acting weird. at times when I hit the power button the power light will go on for a few seconds and then nothing happens. Also sometimes when I do that the power supply fan is still running.

Tonight I was able to get the laptop to boot but when I moved the machine it just shut down. I think I have a loose power supply if that is possible.

The question is, could it be anything else, and is it worth replacing the supply in a 5 year old laptop

(Yes I know I probably misspelled something up there don't need to know about it. Thank you)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Is this of any help to you

by Jacky Howe In reply to Del Inspiron 5150

If you are adventurous you could see if this will help.
<br>
Instructions
<br>
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/43678/
<br><br>
Service Manual
<br>
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5100/en/index.htm
<br><br>
While you have it apart give it a clean with compressed air and reset the memory chips.
<br><br>
<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<br><br>
<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TR Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome.
</i>

Collapse -

my own research

by JSerrago In reply to Is this of any help to yo ...

Thanks for the link, I think I may follow the instructions about the C tabs. I don't think that is the core problem.

I got a feeling it is the thermal cooling assembly, Since When I lift up the case near it, or touch the monitor on that side is when I crash it.

I am planning on opening the unit up, and cleaning it out, and I think I am going to try replacing the rubber feet with something larger to give the intake fan more clearance to take in air easier.

**** its been 4 years, it might be time to retire the unit, but its been so good to me until now.

Collapse -

There are some

by Jacky Howe In reply to my own research

good deals on Notebooks out there these days. But if you feel like having a tinker you may keep it going for a bit longer.

Back to Laptops Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)