General discussion

Dell laptop won't upgrade from Vista to Win 7

By mdipalma ·
I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1420 in May 08 from Best Buy and ended up with Vista because I was told that MS required sellers to have Vista. I decided this year to upgrade to Window 7 but after a week, my mouse and touch pad failed. After 6 hours of talks with Microsoft and Dell, I found that my laptop couldn't use Windows 7 because there were no drivers available for mouse or touch pad. Dell said to check back in 6 months for new drivers. There are 21 laptops that are compatible. Mine is not. They suggest I purchase another computer. How ridiculous is that!!! I was helped by a tech to re-install Vista and of course we had to reformat the hard drive. I am not happy. Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

RE: Any suggestions?

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Dell laptop won't upgrade ...

Just the glaringly obvious don't bother with 7 at all.

If this system suits your needs it's a pointless exercises in switching OS's that the hardware was never designed to run. Stick with what it's makers originally supplied and use it as you have been for the last few years.

Also before you attempt to apply Windows 7 to any System you should first check it with the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser available from the M$ Download Center here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

Col

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums