Question

Dell Latitude D520 !BIG! Problem

By conjunktionman ·
Hi

I have a serious problem with my Dell D520 Latitude. In a stupid attempt at reinstalling Windows XP pro, I used KillDisk to wipe the drive. Now I cannot reboot Windows. The exact message I get is 'No boot sector on Internal Hard drive'.

I have all the original disks for the Laptop and pressing Ctrl + F11 on startup does nothing.

Please please please help if you can.

Thankyou

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Call Dell

by BFilmFan In reply to Dell Latitude D520 !BIG! ...

They can walk you through reinstalling the factory settings.

You've erased the hard disk, so you will need to reinstall the setup disk.

Collapse -

Do you have Windows XP install CD from Dell?

by robo_dev In reply to Dell Latitude D520 !BIG! ...

it is bootable, so it will allow you to reinstall windows.

Collapse -

Laptop not booting from disc.

by conjunktionman In reply to Do you have Windows XP in ...

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I cannot boot from any windows disc. I know the optical drive still works because I can still use the KillDisk cd I made. Is there a way to set up a partition from another bootable disc? Would this help? The laptop has only a cd/dvd drive. No floppy drive.

Collapse -

Have you created a Recovery CD

by Jacky Howe In reply to Dell Latitude D520 !BIG! ...

as you have wiped the Recovery Partition from the Hard drive you will have to use it to reload the Operating System. Try this and then boot from your Recovery CD. If you didn't create the Recovery CD you will have to contact Dell for a replacement.
<br><br>
The Windows Vista Recovery CD can be used to Boot your PC to enable you to create a Primary Partition and set it active.
<br><br>

<b>Creating a Windows Vista Recovery CD</b>
<br>

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=622
<br><br>

<b>Download from here:</b>
<br>

http://coblitz.codeen.org/neosmart.net/downloads/guides/Vista_Repair/Vista_Recovery_Disc_x86.iso
<br><br>

Burn it to a CD with Nero or equivalent software.
<br><br>
You have deleted the Primary Partition and you will have to recreate it, try this by pressing Enter after each command. Adjust size=20000 to the required size. 20000=20GB 30000=30GB etc.....or leave it blank to use the full drive.
<br><br>
Boot from the CD and on the first screen click Next, click Repair your computer, click Next and select Command Prompt.<br>
<br><br>
using DiskPart. For example, from a command prompt, type:<br>
diskpart<br>
select disk 0<br>
clean<br>
create partition primary size=20000<br>
select partition 1<br>
active
<br>
Now type
<br>
EXIT to exit the diskpart session
<br><br>
< edited to add the proper access >

</br>

Collapse -

So the Big problem is what exactly?

by OH Smeg In reply to Dell Latitude D520 !BIG! ...

What you are describing is exactly correct after Kill Disc has been run the HDD has been wiped.

What you need to do here is insert the XP Recovery Disc and boot off that. This may involve entering the BIOS and resetting the Boot Order to Optical Drive and then HDD you do need to save the Changes when you exit BIOS and then with the Recovery Disc in the Optical Drive allow the system to Boot up and run off the XP Install CD.

Follow the prompts till the Process is complete and then wait for the system to restart and insert the Driver Disc if you have one and install all of the Dell Drivers. That should return your Computer to the As New Condition that it was when you originally purchased it.

Col

Collapse -

Will not boot from CD

by conjunktionman In reply to So the [i]Big[/i] problem ...

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I cannot boot from any windows disc. I know the optical drive still works because I can still use the KillDisk cd I made. Is there a way to set up a partition from another bootable disc? Would this help? The laptop has only a cd/dvd drive. No floppy drive.

Collapse -

OK as you can use Kill Disc without a problem

by OH Smeg In reply to Will not boot from CD

The Boot Order is correct so that only leaves your Recovery Disc's as the possible culprit so they are either Damaged and unusable or

If this Recovery Set is one you recorded did you check it for the correct Function after recording it? Was it stored correctly and Sunlight not allowed to reach the Data Surfaces and wipe them. It's also possible depending on who made the Optical Drive that some Cheap Blanks are not compatable with the Optical Drive. What is possible is that the Recovery Set was never properly made to begin with or more likely never compatible with the drive as they have the wrong Dye on the Data Face and do not reflect anywhere near enough Light to allow this Drive to read them though they may work on other Drives. If that is the case here buy some Quality Blanks and copy your Recover Set on a different computer if you have one which I'm assuming you do as you are asking here which required a Net Connection and a Working Computer. But if you don't have a CD Burner available you can either ask a Friend to copy them or pay one of the many business to do the same thing.

You also need to know that Recorded CD's and I suppose DVDs have a limited life expediency Kodak claim that you should recopy your Picture CD's before they reach the 5 Year Mark if you store them under Good Conditions if they are allowed direct Sunlight on them this is a considerably shorter time. But apparently the Dye degrades over time and this causes the Pictures stored to degenerate.

While Kodak has not issued any notifications about DVD Media I would assume that the same applies there as well because the same technology is used to make CD's and DVD Blanks.

Your answer here is to replace the Recovery Set with one fro the Maker and that will cure the problem.

Col

Collapse -

More error codes

by conjunktionman In reply to OK as you can use Kill Di ...

Hi Col

According to Dells support website, I have also deleted the Diagnostic Utility partition. When running the diagnostics, it is now giving me error codes for the optical drive as well as the hard drive. Is strange why the Killdisc worked more than once.

I feel like such an effing idiot for using KillDisk in the first place but we live and learn I suppose. I will have to contact Dell in the hope of a solution. Which looks like a replacement more than a fix. But I will give the new recovery disc a go first and see how things go.

Your help and advice has been greatly appreciated though and I thank you.

Cheers
Billy

Collapse -

the following website is a godsend regarding the Dell partitions

by robo_dev In reply to More error codes

www.goodells.net/dellutility/index.htm

the funny thing is, it's much better than the dell site itself regarding it's usefulness.

Collapse -

no floppy drive

by conjunktionman In reply to the following website is ...

Wow. Thanks for the link. The problem I have now is not being able to access DOS. Or boot from a floppy. There is no floppy drive. Do these programs boot from a DVD-R? Thats the only media I have except USB memory sticks.

Thanks
Billy

Back to Hardware Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums