Question

Dell XPS 400 6 Beeps with Black Screen....DEAD?

By bhbh5 ·
Just as the title says Dell XPS 400 Intel Duel Core. I did a BIOS update from Dell's Website and after restart....Nothing...Of course dell will not warranty a download because it was "Optional" So I've already ordered a new motherboard because I was told by there $60 help desk that I fried my Mother board due to the BIOS update being incompattable....even though I entered the Service tag off of the computer and it builds the update driver list for my specific computer....I do get 6 beeps after power up and that's it...black screen no flashing curser or anything? So my question is did I fry my board or is there anything at all I can do?
Oh I'm running XP if that helps??
Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

CMOS Reset

by TheChas In reply to Dell XPS 400 6 Beeps with ...

If you are sure that you did use the correct file to flash the BIOS, it would be worth the effort to perform a manual CMOS reset.

Check with Dell for the correct procedure for your model.

I have often had to clear / reset the CMOS after flashing the BIOS on a system.

As to frying your motherboard, well, it is not fried. Worst case, is that it is basically too dumb to know what to do.

Was there an option to save the old BIOS prior to flashing the new BIOS? If so, did you take advantage of that and make a backup copy?

I've lost track of the links, but there are some options for recovering from a bad BIOS flash "IF" you have the old BIOS file. I think there was even a TR article or download on the very subject.

Alternately, if the BIOS ROM is in a socket, you can purchase a new BIOS chip from several different suppliers.

Chas

Collapse -

Also look here for what those Beeps mean

by OH Smeg In reply to Dell XPS 400 6 Beeps with ...

http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/dellbios.htm

If you followed the directions on the Dell Web Site you should not have any problems but you do need to clear the BIOS after a Flash as it holds some settings from the Old BIOS and will not run.

Col

Collapse -

Fixed....Kind Of??

by bhbh5 In reply to Also look here for what t ...

Well after searching around....I found a discussion that recommended to just power down the motherboard and it would revert back to defult settinigs. SO I removed the battery on the motherboard and Viola! back in order. I now working on reinstalling windows. Dell is supposed to have a PC Restore built into my box. I cannot get it to activate per there instructions from there support site. They say press <Ctrl> and then Press <F11> and then release both keys at the same time....it doesn't work for me. I'm waiting on my OS system reinstillation DVD to start fresh! Thanks for the help and replys!!

Collapse -

Try pressing Ctrl and F11 at the same time,

by 1bn0 In reply to Fixed....Kind Of??

Then release.

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums