General discussion

DHCP on Windows 2000

By computerquest ·
I can't connect to my IP thru DSL because my Windows 2000 has DHCP on. The DHCP prevents me from releaseing the IP and renewing the IP. I tried removing the nic and putting it back in. Under the TCP/IP configuration I changed from netbios with DHCP to IP with nebios but nothing changes. ANy clues what to try next. Verizon is useless on this matter. Thanks Don

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You need DHCP

by NickNielsen Moderator In reply to DHCP on Windows 2000

Without it, you will never get an IP address. Try these steps to get a valid IP from your DSL provider:

1. Reset your TCP/IP configuration to the default.
2. Open a command line (Start | Run; type "cmd" and press enter).
3. At the prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" and press enter. Your DHCP service will send a renewal request to the server of record.

If you receive a server not found error, try stopping and restarting your DHCP service. This will allow your DHCP client to locate the DSL provider's server. To stop and start the service:
- right click on My computer and select Manage.
- Expand the Services and Applications tree and click on Services.
- Locate "DHCP Client" in the right pane,
- Highlight the service and click on Stop.
- When the service indicates it is stopped, you may restart it.

Collapse -

Problem solved

by computerquest In reply to You need DHCP

Nick - thanks for trying to help. I was trying the renew and release commands and nothing was was happening. I even tried to stop the service and remove the nic and nothing happened. I did find the colprit. The client has a virus software that had a hidden firewall attached. The firewall did not show up in any configurations or was not listed as part of the virus protection. When serching I found a box with the old x in to enable a firewall. Of course once the x was removed the system was able to get on the internet. Thanks Again Don

Collapse -

I hope you removed the virus too!

by NickNielsen Moderator In reply to Problem solved
Back to Software Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums