Discussions

DHCP on Windows 2000

Tags:
+
0 Votes

DHCP on Windows 2000

computerquest
I can't connect to my IP thru DSL because my Windows 2000 has DHCP on. The DHCP prevents me from releaseing the IP and renewing the IP. I tried removing the nic and putting it back in. Under the TCP/IP configuration I changed from netbios with DHCP to IP with nebios but nothing changes. ANy clues what to try next. Verizon is useless on this matter. Thanks Don
  • +
    0 Votes
    NickNielsen Moderator

Without it, you will never get an IP address. Try these steps to get a valid IP from your DSL provider:

1. Reset your TCP/IP configuration to the default.
    2. Open a command line (Start | Run; type "cmd" and press enter).
    3. At the prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" and press enter. Your DHCP service will send a renewal request to the server of record.

If you receive a server not found error, try stopping and restarting your DHCP service. This will allow your DHCP client to locate the DSL provider's server. To stop and start the service:
    - right click on My computer and select Manage.
    - Expand the Services and Applications tree and click on Services.
    - Locate "DHCP Client" in the right pane,
    - Highlight the service and click on Stop.
    - When the service indicates it is stopped, you may restart it.

+
    0 Votes
    computerquest

Nick - thanks for trying to help. I was trying the renew and release commands and nothing was was happening. I even tried to stop the service and remove the nic and nothing happened. I did find the colprit. The client has a virus software that had a hidden firewall attached. The firewall did not show up in any configurations or was not listed as part of the virus protection. When serching I found a box with the old x in to enable a firewall. Of course once the x was removed the system was able to get on the internet. Thanks Again Don

• +
    0 Votes
    NickNielsen Moderator

Without it, you will never get an IP address. Try these steps to get a valid IP from your DSL provider:

1. Reset your TCP/IP configuration to the default.
    2. Open a command line (Start | Run; type "cmd" and press enter).
    3. At the prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" and press enter. Your DHCP service will send a renewal request to the server of record.

If you receive a server not found error, try stopping and restarting your DHCP service. This will allow your DHCP client to locate the DSL provider's server. To stop and start the service:
    - right click on My computer and select Manage.
    - Expand the Services and Applications tree and click on Services.
    - Locate "DHCP Client" in the right pane,
    - Highlight the service and click on Stop.
    - When the service indicates it is stopped, you may restart it.

+
    0 Votes
    computerquest

Nick - thanks for trying to help. I was trying the renew and release commands and nothing was was happening. I even tried to stop the service and remove the nic and nothing happened. I did find the colprit. The client has a virus software that had a hidden firewall attached. The firewall did not show up in any configurations or was not listed as part of the virus protection. When serching I found a box with the old x in to enable a firewall. Of course once the x was removed the system was able to get on the internet. Thanks Again Don