General discussion

DHCP Server with Router and SBS 2003

By vendors ·
I have the following setup in small business server 2003 environment: Server - Hosting SBS 2003 and 2 NIC cards, 3 Windows XP PC clients, 1 Windows XP Laptop client, and 1 Windows 2000 laptop client.
- 1 Dell Unmanaged Switch
- 1 Comcast Cable Modem
- 1 Linksys Wireless Dual-Band Router
Problem: I cannot get the clients to see the server or join the domain.
All of the clients and the server have access to the internet, but cannot assign IP addresses.
How can I get the server to assign the IP addresses and have the clients gain access to the internet as well as the local LAN?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by I_M_Dougie In reply to DHCP Server with Router a ...

Are the clients getting any IP address at all? Make sure DHCP is disabled on the COmcast and Linksys routers.

Can you manually give an IP address that is on the same subnet of the server and get the client to join the domain?

Do both NIC cards on the server have IPs in the same subnet? If not, try disabling one NIC and see if DHCP starts working.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to DHCP Server with Router a ...

run the connect to the internet wizard in the things to do list.

SBS has wizards that will walk you through the process.

Collapse -

by vendors In reply to
Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to DHCP Server with Router a ...

Try this connect the cable modem to the router and then the router to one of the LAN Ports on the 2003. From the other LAN Port connect the switch and all the networked clients. Then run the Network & internet Setup Wizards on the server and thenon the clients and it should then work. If you have the router between the server and the clients without donfigeration the server will be invisible to the clients and the clients will beinvisible to the server which sort of defets the purpose of having a serverin the first place.

Col

Collapse -

by vendors In reply to DHCP Server with Router a ...

I have already run the wizards for this setup, but the clients are still unable to join the domain. I also tried one NIC card to see if that would resolve the issue, but that did not work either.

Collapse -

by echiasson In reply to DHCP Server with Router a ...

First : they get internet acccess , How ?

are you poping in the ip and submask? into the clients when you get access ?

Can the Clients see the other clients?
or is every thing invisible ?

Collapse -

dude...

if you ran the wizard and correctly put in the information, then clients would be able to access the internet on a SBS 2003 Standard Edition box

if you have ISA server installed then install the firewall client program on client comps.

Collapse -

to join clients to a SBS domain you run the connect wizard from a browser

http://servername/connect computer/

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

you have to have the client computers listed in AD users and computers for the wizard to work.

Collapse -

by lamczyknic3000 In reply to DHCP Server with Router a ...

You need to configure your switch, router, and modem properly. Make sure that they do not have dhcp configured because the server cannot assign IP address if the modem and router are doing that for you. You say you've used the network identification wizard to join the domain. does the client PC's say the are part of the domain? The next thing to do is configure the server and add the computers to the users and computers section of the active directory.

Back to Networks Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums