General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Did Upgrade To Win98 Dupe 2GB+ of Files?

by wrdsmyth ·

Since I upgraded from Win95 to Win98SE a few months back, I noted the space used on my 8.4 GB HD massively expanded from about 2 GB to over 4 GB. While “intriguing” there was no noticeable degradation. Discovered, however, in my C:/Windows 1,129 “new” objects. They are files without any extensions, and they total 2.32 GB! The filenames seem to be near random sequential alphabetic 8 characters in length, beginning with Aaaaagdf, Aaaaabebf, Aaaaabebk … Apbkcean, Baclcofk, Bacmacbb … to a final of Bhdldgdc. Some are “viewable”; some are not. The ones that are look like program coding with occasional spurts of readable text values, such as my browser’s “favorites” file, some color coding commands, etcetera.

What are these 1,129 files of 2.32 GB, and can I safely delte/erase them without damage?

I did not do a full “clean” install of Win98SE, but did the simple Win98SE upgrade from Win95B (that may be a factor?). The only other action I can think of, which may be pertinent, is that shortly after upgrading I did a full backup of my system to ZIP disk using the Win98SE backup utility (would you believe 18 – count ’em – 18 bleedin’ ZIP Disks?!). Is it possible that the backup created some sort of “termporary” backupfiles on my HD during the process but did NOT delete them after backup was completed to the ZIP disks?

The reason I’m quite suspicious of duplication” of Windows files, is that the “used” portion of my 8.4 GB HD almost exactly doubled when I first noted this (from a total used of about 2 GB to 4 GB). Call me suspicious.

Any insights, suggestions of how to proceed, or explanations that will allay my misgivings will be appreciated. Thank you all.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by joseph moore ·

In reply to Did Upgrade To Win98 Dupe 2GB+ of Files?

Sounds like a virus to me.
      Get some anti-virus software and do a full scan immediately!

by shanghai sam ·

Definitely not a virus or worm of any kind, but thanks anyway Joseph. These are apparently logically sequenced files, created by/during either the process of upgrading from W95 to W98SE or in the full system back-up using the integral MS W98SE back-up utility. I very actively maintain and update my anti-virus program and a personal firewall.

by dmiles ·

Check the system for virus
      Use the find files and folders,and then you can get info where the file is located,note location and then go to location to determine what type of file you have

by thechas ·

Did you choose to back up the current configuration when you upgraded to 98?
      This would install a number of files onto your system.

I am curious as to what folder these files are in.

I have also seen windows create “weird” files when it is having trouble recognizing the drive before the chipset drivers are installed.

I would be hesitant to just delete the files unless thay are all in the Windows\temp folder.

You can right click on the files, and look at properties to see what the original file name is, and perhaps what created the file.

Chas

by shanghai sam ·

Yes, I did retain current config in my upgrade to W98SE. And, while I understand this would add/update SOME files on my system, these hummers in essence doubled my used diskspace from approx 2.2 to 4.3 GBs. That is substantially more than I understand the upgrade should have created.

All the files were in the Windows folder, and as I noted in the original posting, they are eight-character, progressively sequential (though not strictly so; some sequential letter sequences are skipped), and without extensions. The file properties are only “general” (without any version tab, as most standard files have), and are not id’d as any of the standard types (Read Only, Archive, Hidden).

Have had no problems with drivers, and Ialso maintain those pretty routinely as well [it’s an older (circa late ‘1996) PII/266 Gateway w/192 MB SDRAM and the Intel 440LX chipset (which incorporated Ultra DMA, USB, et al)].

I did not delete them. I did, however, seriously compressand archive them (down from 2.32 GB to 540 MB), and moved them to a separate folder. Did a clean-up, scandisk, and defragged (in safe mode), and got my 8.4 GB HD back to serious fighting trim.

Result: No adverse effects discerned thus far after the compression, archiving, move to separate folder, and major disk clean-up/housekeeping. And, even though the system remained quite sufficiently speedy and capable WITH the files, it’s even noticeably more “spry” with the HD space back. My best thought is that they were unlabeled “Temp” files created by the Windows back-up utility. And, since my back-up is fully on ZIPs and easily accessable, I just don’t need them. If so, it’s evidence of a seriously flawed inefficiency (e.g., “fault”) in the MS backup utility integral to Win98SE.

Will let you know if I get/find anything more. Any other insights or offerings appreciated.

Ta!

Viewing 2 reply threads