General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

disable multiple login

by mike_m ·

Hi, I am sure I have seen somewhere “allow multiple login” but can’t find it anymore.
    How do I disable (or control the number of) multiple login on NT4.0 Server SP6a (on a per-session or per-user basis) ?
    Thank you. Mike

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: disable multiple login

by gigelul ·

In reply to disable multiple login

I don’t know about “allow multiple login” but you can restrict the login for a user to a single workstation (using user manager for domain/user/logon to) or you can use the WINEXIT.SCR (from resource kit) to logout automaticaly (after a specified period of time)unused session/computer.

by mike_m ·

In reply to Reply To: disable multiple login

I don’t want to restrict user to a single WS. Users should be able to login to any (allowed) WS, but only once at a time (must logoff before logging in somewhere else, or just login on local profiles). I’d bet I have seen the check box somewhere, with the name “allow multiple login” (or similar phrase). Maybe on the registry ?

by je27 ·

The option “allow multiple login” is available in Novell NetWare. Perhaps you’ve seen it there? Don’t think I’ve ever seen it on NT.

by rdafford ·

Windows NT’s Domain User Manager allows the account administrator to restrict an account to a specific workstation and it works. Unfortunately there is an availability issue. When the PC fails, that user can’t login.

Novell’s SYSCON gives NetWare admins the ability to control the number of workstations that a user can login to simultaneously. There is no built-in capability to duplicate this functionality in NT but it can be accomplished using domain user’s shared home directories and the Resource Kit utility logout.exe. Network shares can be restricted to the allowed number of simultaneous connections. Set allowed connections equal to 1. When an employee attempts to login to the second workstation (without logging out of the first), this share property prevents the second net use from completing. Use a global logon script to check for the existence of the share to the user’s home directory. If successful, transfer execution to the personalized login script in the user’s shared home directory. If not successful, generate a message re: policy against simultaneous logins to multiple workstations and run then run logout.exe to terminate the login process for that user.

If you have budget money, there is a 3rd party utility UserLock that will provide that functionality. (www.softwareshelf.com/products/userlock.htm)

Viewing 2 reply threads