Question

DLINK DI-524UP "runs out of pages"?

By jeff.allen ·
All: I have a simple wired/wireless network using a DI-524UP to acces the internet via PPOE DSL connection. 2 PC's, one via wireless.
When I am surfing I use "right click and open in another page" to explore links. That way I can close those that are not useful and not wait to go back a page.
Since connecting the DI-524UP, I can only open about ten pages before they come up page not found. If I copy/paste the URL (any URL) into pages that work, these URL's still work OK. Eventually, working pages will stop working, until the first page I opened, stops accessing the internet.
If I release/renew the IP (from the ISP) I get working explorer pages again, until the problem happens again.
Before, when I had only one PC connected directly to the DSL modem, I could open as many pages as I needed.
I have tried firefox and explorer, and tried opening a new instance of explorer instead of "sharing" - all with the same result.
I thought I might be up against some limit imposed by the ISP, but as I said - it works OK if I connect one PC direct to the modem (and use the PPOE software in the PC).
The number of pages I can open seems to vary, starting at about ten (ish) then narrowing down eventually to none.
If I just open one page I can surf all day with no hassles (maybe - I am not that much of a power user).
I have not yet logged this as a problem with Dlink, as I am not sure it might be a config issue??

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I'd be looking at pagefile usage,

by ComputerCookie In reply to DLINK DI-524UP "runs out ...

if you have a lot of pages open and they're always refreshing particuarly ads.

Where is all this going to be stored?

Look at Task Mangager and Performance, Pagefile history.

Collapse -

Don't think so.

by jeff.allen In reply to I'd be looking at pagefil ...

Thanks for the tip, but it works OK if I connect one of the PC's direct to the modem (ie not via the DI 524).

Collapse -

Router out of memory

by Mr.Wiz In reply to DLINK DI-524UP "runs out ...

You're probably using up all of the memory in the router since it has to keep all of the pages current. Most home routers don't have a large amount of memory.

Collapse -

Maybe ...(Memory?)

by jeff.allen In reply to Router out of memory

This may be the answer?
Last night I was "surfing" for a long while with no problems. I had a "master" explorer page running and "right click -> open in a new window" many times, but they were all very simple pages - mostly forums (fora?) with text.
How, then, do I confirm this theory? Is there a way to monitor and display memory usage? Or how much memory it has?

Collapse -

See my original post,

by ComputerCookie In reply to Maybe ...(Memory?)

look at performance.

Look at paging, when the system is runs it will use paging to help manage RAM.

Collapse -

Could be QoS,

by ComputerCookie In reply to DLINK DI-524UP "runs out ...

possibly limiting as bandwith reserved for the second computer.

Hope your not using the "Free" Tomizone!

Collapse -

No, NO tomizone

by jeff.allen In reply to Could be QoS,

No. Not using Tomizone.

Back to Browser Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums