General discussion

Does anyone still use Windows 98 or earlier?

By jfuller05 ·
I'm just curious if anyone uses Windows 2000/9x series, or even earlier. My wife's papaw uses Win98 (he has a lot of computers), has a laptop running XP, but his using 98 really shocked me. So, I thought I would ask the TR world about knowing anyone using earlier than XP operating systems. Of course, also include if you know anyone using earlier versions of Linux/and or Mac OS.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

YES

by DMambo In reply to Does anyone still use Win ...

I have several friends/acquaintances who have asked me to take a look at their W98 machines in the past year. They use it for web browsing, MS Office, etc and just don't see a need to switch.

In our AD environment, we still have a bunch of W2000 PC's. They usually get replaced by hand me downs at a rate of maybe 8-12 per year. Probably be 2012 before they're all gone.

Collapse -

yes

by jck In reply to Does anyone still use Win ...

I still have older PCs that have Win 95 and 98.

Collapse -

Yes

by Slayer_ In reply to Does anyone still use Win ...

Running many 95's and 98's.

Hundreds of them. It's all you need for a dumb terminal machine running RDP into a server.

Collapse -

Yes. - Edited.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to Does anyone still use Win ...

We have some applications that test our finished products that still run on W98. Two are still on the network.

Edit - These applications were written to match the hardware of the systems they run on. They contain third-party ISA cards we either can't replace or that replacing would require re-writing the apps. These cards also block virtualizaton as a solution. That's what's keeping us from upgrading the hardware and OS. Since no newer versions of Windows will run on the older hardware, we have no reason to see if the apps will run on newer versions of Windows.

End Edit.

The system that controls the building's HVAC runs on W2K.

Edit - Okay, this one just won't run on XP. The hardware will support the OS, but the app craps out. I see no point in virtualizing this just to host it on an newer version of Windows.

End edit.

These are a small minority of the total systems in the building, maybe 10 machines out of 260 or so.

Collapse -

HVAC

by jfuller05 In reply to Yes. - Edited.

I was a student-worker in Maintenance and Operations at the community college I attended for my Associate Degree and I believe their HVAC program ran on 2000.
When the new technology campus was built, another computer was put into the Maintenance Director's office to support the new HVAC program for that campus. With that program, you actually had an image of the ducts and fans, not just a little symbol representing the ducts and fans, etc.

Collapse -

Hey, wait until Col sees this, he has a huge pile of clients on DOS

by Deadly Ernest In reply to Yes. - Edited.

as the computer controlled manufacturing equipment was built around DOS and it costs way too much to replace the computer control and software - so they'll be running DOS for another 30 to 50 years as that's the design life span of the manufacturing equipment.

Collapse -

Invoices

by jfuller05 In reply to Does anyone still use Win ...

Yeah, I didn't really explain what he (wife's papaw) used his Win98 for, which is his invoice software (I'll have to ask what it is). He prints his invoices from that machine, which also is connected to a Dot Matrix printer.
Thanks for all the responses, I like hearing about things like that. I believe that, while these machines/OSes may not be the latest technology, they can still serve as valid functions for a company.

Collapse -

I've got a client

by NickNielsen In reply to Does anyone still use Win ...

That I will finally upgrade from Win 3.0 next month. It's a small mom&pop convenience store; they sold a winning lotto ticket, so they're buying a new PC with their bonus.

Collapse -

Awesome

by jfuller05 In reply to I've got a client

What kind of PC are they buying?

Collapse -

White box

by NickNielsen In reply to Awesome

Nobody offers what they want in a prebuilt and I can build it cheaper to boot. What they aren't buying is new POS peripherals to replace the old serial devices, so we're getting usb-serial adapters and a hub for the POS equipment.

They're giving up their old 386-20 with 2 MB RAM and 40 MB HDD for an AMD Athlon II X3 Model 425, Asus M4A78T-E mobo, 4GB RAM, and 2 WD3200KSRTL Caviar Blue HDDs (320GB each). Ubunti 9.04 and their 15-year-old POS software running in a DOS 6.22 VM (we've already tried it - it works!). They have a license for Acronis TrueImage 2010 and want to use the nonstop backup feature to mirror the primary drive to the secondary.

And even with my time, it all comes in cheaper than a mid-line Dell or HP. Gotta love it!

Back to Software Forum
24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next

Software Forums