General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Does not ejecting a USB 3.0 drive cause damage or major corruption

by jhmac77 ·

Tags: 

I bought a new My Passport 1TB drive USB 3.0 drive. It KEEPS asking me to scan and fix the drive because of errors. I have an old (about 7 y/o) external 2.0 Toshiba e drive that has NEVER given me a problem with not ejecting before disconnect.

I was told by a so called expert that my problem with My Passport is that it was not ejected before turnoff or disconnect.
    Now I have a problem with the My Passport that when I try to delete many of the files(not all) that I get an indication that the files are corrupt upon delete or cut. These files SEEM USEABLE. Why are these files corrupted and my old Toshiba are not? It is a pain to wait forever until the disk is ready when it appears there is no activity.

I also have read in reviews that My Passports die within 6 months and that in some the controller is defective. I am thinking about deleting the whole new drive and see if I get any errors by trying to eject it every time.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Depends what the drive is doing at the time it is unplugged

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Does not ejecting a USB 3.0 drive cause damage or major corruption

So yes the answer to your question is It can cause damage if the Drive is being written to when it is unplugged. Though this is not confined to USB3 it affects all USB Devices.

The normal thing to happen is the Partition Table to get mucked up which generally causes the drive to be unreadable but occasionally the partition Tables will be different to each other so you get reported file errors.

Running Check Disc Repair generally fixes the problem however.

As for the Passport failures you need to understand that External Drives like it are not considered as Permanent Storage they are at best Temporary Storage subject to rapid failure. Like all electronic devices Heat & Vibration wreak havoc with electronics so the longer devices like your Passport External Drive are used the more likely they are to fail. They get very hot very quickly and are not mounted in a secure way to prevent vibration.

All external Drives should be treated as at best temporary and likely to fail sooner rather than latter. When you think that way they are very reliable and work well. It’s only when you constantly expect them to work when being abused that they give real problems which when all is said and done is nothing more than you can expect.

Col

by jhmac77 ·

In reply to Depends what the drive is doing at the time it is unplugged

To HAL 9000: Thanks for your insight. My passport is brand new. I am now using a !TB internal Black wd hdd with a docking station for USB 3.0 and are having no problems. Never had any problems with wd until the my passport drive. I had an old Toshiba external usb 2 drive and still have it with no problems.
        It is 7 years old or older and still backsup.

Now wondering what to do with the My Passport Ultra 1TB. that keeps producing error and I guess I need to return it. But it seems to copy all right but then I can’t cut and paste with it or delete certain corrupt files which appears numerous. Should I try to RMA it. It has 3 years warrenty. I did check disk repair several times but the problem kept coming back.
        Jim

Possible solution to above problem

by jhmac77 ·

In reply to Depends what the drive is doing at the time it is unplugged

I believe I made a major error after I bought the My Passport Ultra 1 TB external drive. I partitioned the drive into 2 equal drives using Administrative Tools of Windows 8. That is when all the trouble began with the drives each requiring repair several times, and also causing file corruption. I believe I fixed the problem by removing all files by formatting ultimately and then using another software to merge the two drives into 1 TB drive. Now the drive behaves normally without requiring repair or not having as far as I have tested no corruption. I have checked a very large file for the earlier problems and have found none. Is there an explanation for this? I have had no problem partitioning my WD internal drives in the past.
        Jim

It’s most likely a firmware issue

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to Possible solution to above problem

I know many people, including myself, who have had problems after they created multiple partitions on My Passport series drives. In every case, the issues were resolved by returning to a single massive partition.

Besides damage to the drive

by mjd420nova ·

The USB port on the laptop/desktop can suffer a fault that may render it unusable the next time. The faults occur when the power source sees a surge in voltage beyond the regulators specs and it does its job of protecting the rest of the supply circuitry by opening and not passing any current.

by jhmac77 ·

SEE BELOW

Your Passport hard disk

by barbarafrisbie87 ·

Starnge, the reason probably have stored any mulfunctional files that have corrupted your file, these kind of errors also do come when you copy data from ntfs to fat file system, although files are there but are not shown on the drive, it has happened with promotional drives like mentioned here ,

http://www.promotionaldrives.com

I use to store lot of data in it , when I switch them to pc to pc without ejecting properly the data always get. I also you should also make backup of these files.

Viewing 3 reply threads