General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Does what someone wears to an interview matter?

by geekchic ·

HELP! I put in for a job on a whim and actually got an interview. It pays almost $12,000 a year more then I am getting now and I am terrified! I haven’t had a job interview in over 10 years! Does what someone wears to an interview influence your decision in any way? I am not talkin’ belly button rings and jeans here. Casual slacks? Dress? Suit? Dressy…non dressy? It is in I.T. so I just don’t know whether this is a big consideration among those hiring nowadays. Any opinions would be appreciated!! But BE NICE…I am old and get my feelings hurt easily! LOL!!

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Respect and professionalism

by amcol ·

In reply to Does what someone wears to an interview matter?

Business attire for an interview. Always. No exceptions. No matter what.

Don’t be terrified, it’ll show when you interview. One of the best ways to talk yourself OUT of a job is to be visibly nervous. Just be calm, answer the questions that are asked, don’t go into molecular detail about your various technical accomplishments, and above all remember the following two words…”BUSINESS VALUE”. Say it again, with me…”BUSINESS VALUE”. C’mon, one more time with feeling…”BUSINESS VALUE”. Figure out how to show what yours has been, and much more importantly what it will be should you be hired. Quantify it if possible, just make sure you put it in terms anyone can understand.

You’ll do fine. Best of luck.

Interview coaching

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Respect and professionalism

I’d second Amcol’s note on attire. Its almost impossible to overdress. If you have any contacts at the company, find out what the dress code is. A good rule of thumb is to dress one “level” above the code. When in doubt, dress your best. As in your resume, hiring managers look at this as your “best”.

If you have the opportunity, find someone in management that you trust, someone who regularly interviews to give you a mock interview and coaching – trust me, it is something that you get better at with practise. Particularly you should look for answers to behavioural questions – like tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer or tell how you managed to put a troubled project back on track. The way to answer is by using the STAR method – describe the Situation/Task, what action did you take, what was the result. Its not about team in these questions, its about examples where you made the difference.

Hope that helps. I was out for a while, and had many interviews, feel free to ask more questions.

James

Stay away from buzzwords

by too old for it ·

Nothing is more annoying than listening to someone who can say nothing but buzzwords that don’t relate.

“Good metrics”, “ROI”, “leading edge” “business value” etc may sound good, but I prefer to be shown that you have business value rather than told in buzzwords.

Times have changed

by mtodd ·

As an IT executive I do prefer performers rather than dressers. As long as the applicant looks well grommed, what they wear is irrelevant. The dress code is not an issue in modern times as much as it is the ability to sell one’s skills during the interview. Do not bother to tell me how many certificates you have – tell me what you have done in plain English. The fact that you asked shows how much you care about the interview. To me you are 50% already there.

It shows “effort”

by fafafooey ·

To me, dressing nicely (even dressing above the normal dess code of that office) shows that you are making an effort to get the job.

Your dress will be part of the interviewer’s first impression of you, and you can’t undo first impressions.

HA!!

by geekchic ·

In reply to It shows “effort”

Reminds me of my interview when I started where I work now. I felt like the interview went well, I met all the others in the office and then shook hands and turned around to leave.

When I opened the door to leave, my purse (why do we have to carry those things anyway????) strap got caught on the door knob and pulled me back in and everything in it spilled out onto the floor. Wow was that embarrassing! I knew when I left there, that I would be getting a rejection letter in the mail. But much to my surprise they hired me. When I mentioned it later on, my boss said that she hired me because even though it was an embarrassing situation, she thought I handled it well and that is what made her hire me. My sense of humor….

Really feeling out of place….

by ctos ·

In reply to HA!!

Talk about funny situations…The last big job I applied for was for a call centre position in a fair sized city. I was sitting in a room looking at the other candidates and feeling pretty glum about it! All of them, except for one other was young, thin, wearing jeans or funky clothes, rings in their eyebrows, etc. I was dressed in my “best”, heavier, older and not “hip”. It really made me think about how it is harder to get a job when the years go by! Thankfully someone still appreciates us for dressing in our best and having some experience under our belts…I got the job!
          I would rather be out of place looking good than for looking sloppy! Live by your “old rules”.

Working beside a call centre in a fair sized city…

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Really feeling out of place….

Yes there are times when the call centre is desparate enough to take people wearing jeans.

But you never want to give someone an opportunity to eliminate you. I can’t see every eliminating someone who was overdressed – at least not at most businesses. But I can see eliminating someone who is poorly dressed. Now rings in the eyebrows – we aren’t allowed to judge on that….

James

otravez

by avid ·

In reply to HA!!

try that again. if it worked once, spill your purse again. you never know. (ha ha)

Dress for you

by andymerr46 ·

In reply to It shows “effort”

I would say be smart but in something that you are comfortable wearing, this will help concentrate your mind on the interview not your dress.

Yes! Be yourself

by lauracs ·

In reply to Dress for you

I agree with andymerr46. You will get all kinds of conflicting opinions about what to wear, and what it proves about you, but it still comes down to a crapshoot unless you have an inside line on the person interviewing you. A few months ago, we went through a very rough time interviewing quite a few applicants for an open position. My boss favored the people who wore suits. The geeks doing the interviewing, including me, didn’t pay much attention to attire. I couldn’t tell you if my life depended on it what the guy we hired was wearing at his interview. What I remember is his confidence, knowledge expressed articulately, and the feeling we all got that his personality was a good fit for our group. I think you will be much better off concentrating on how best to show your skill level and demeanor, and your clothing choice will follow. Personally, I don’t care how much more a job pays than what I make now – if they hire me based on what I wore to the interview, it’s not the kind of job I want.

The way of dress matters 100% at my current job

by rayjeff ·

In reply to Yes! Be yourself

Where I work, what you wear is just as important as what you know. I had three interviews before I was hired at my current job. And what was mentioned to me everytime was “the dress code”…how important image is and all that jazz. The whole culture of the place is built on image.

When in doubt, dress up…

by prolifiq ·

… as opposed to dressing down for the interview.

If a company didn’t hire me because I was “overdressed,” that just meant that they didn’t want me anyway. And I’ll take that any day over disqualifying myself because I was underdressed.

During the dot-com era, it was common to see people interviewing in business casual, jeans, and even shorts & sandals. But no more – except for business casual at a few companies.

Dress how your interviewer dresses

by jamesrl ·

In reply to When in doubt, dress up…

One tip if you have an insider in the company, dress at the same level as the hiring manager. If your hiring manager dresses up compared to their peers, you want to be more like the hiring manager.

James

re: Dress how your interviewer dresses

by rayjeff ·

In reply to Dress how your interviewer dresses

I wish I had the inside tip like that. I went on an interview about 6 years ago for this job with a small computer company. I wasn’t “dressed down”, but I did have on a tie. When I met the interviewer, and who was also part owner of the company, he was dressed very down. And when I went to the company’s place, it was basically a garage-type setting. The company was headquartered in his basement.

The interview went well, but when I thnk about it, I hope that my being over-dressed didn’t kill my chances, because they hired students from my university to work, but at the time, I wasn’t at the university; I had transferred to another college. But the environment was very laid-back and to be honest, I would’ve enjoyed working with the company.

RE: Dress how your interviewer dresses

by too old for it ·

In reply to Dress how your interviewer dresses

I interviewed at a company that provided car parts to Honda last year. Team interview including HR manager, IT manager, someone I might supervise, yadda.

Everyone was dressed in white overalls, same as production floor staff. Same as, I was told, the CEO. “All associates look the same.”

Also the interview with one of the stupidest questions I’ve ever heard, but that is a topic for another discussion.

I just told my 20 year old daughter….

by geekchic ·

and she said oh geez mom…don’t wear a dress…nobody wears dresses anymore. Gee now I feel even MORE uncomfortable!

A women’s power suit

by jamesrl ·

In reply to I just told my 20 year old daughter….

is better – jacket and skirt…..

James

Second the power suit

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to A women’s power suit

Make sure you stick in the darker range of colors too. You don’t want to go in in bright pink! I’d look for a gray, black, or blue power suit with a conservative blouse underneath.

I understand some women have problem with, uh, certain parts that can be large and pronouced…make sure you buy something that isn’t too revealing….That is almost always a deal breaker (unless your soon to be boss is a dirt bag)

Geez…I’m 53!!!

by geekchic ·

In reply to Second the power suit

I am trying to HIDE stuff not SHOW it!!! That is one reason I am so surprised they called me…I am not exactly a spring chicken (or is that a spring vista??)

It’s summer and some people forget to keep in in…

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to Geez…I’m 53!!!

Too many times I’ve seen a woman wear something that was a little too low for business wear…sure it might work in sales, but to look professional you need to stay conservative. You just don’t know what to expect on the other end of the table.

I had no idea you were 53 BTW. Color me surprised…from your posts I assumed late 30’s

aw man…

by geekchic ·

In reply to It’s summer and some people forget to keep in in…

I blew my cover…are you going to stop talking to me now??? Well, I have been told that I don’t “look” my age so I guess I must not “sound” my age either.

LOL…

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to aw man…

You don’t sound like some of the cranky old farts around here…including me…You are too bright eyed and bushy tailed to be a 53 year old IT veteran 😉

Power suit MAY be overdoing it…

by jessie ·

If you can’t call the receptionist and ask what their dress code is, then err on the side of the power suit. Most IT shops these days though are business casual and the business suit is a bit out of place sitting across from an interviewer in a polo shirt and khakis.

Call the receptionist – Good Advice

by dmambo ·

In reply to Power suit MAY be overdoing it…

Even outside the dress code question, calling the receptionist for info is a good way to show her/him a little respect. Get in good with the receptionist and it’s amazing what a few little comments to the hiring mgr will do to your reputation even when you’re still just under consideration.

Out of place

by too old for it ·

“… the business suit is a bit out of place sitting across from an interviewer in a polo shirt and khakis.”

Reminds me of the time I interviewed for a chain of stores that sold dancewear to go-go clubs. Dress code was NOT the suit I wore to the interview.

Do dress up a little

by msl0001 ·

I once interviewed for a job in IT to get me out of a hospital lab. The other interviewee was the lab supervisor, but as soon as I saw she was wearing a frowsy flowered housedress compared to my tailored navy suit, I knew I had the job! That gave me a big boost of confidence, as well. I was afraid that I wouldn’t even be considered for the job because politically, she had the better position. I did get the job, and it was a really good stepping stone.

All in favor of the power …

by too old for it ·

All in favor of the power signify by saying “Aye”?

Nay

by lemondrop ·

In reply to All in favor of the power …

Just my opinion. They’re not feminine enough for me, and it would feel weird. On the other hand if that’s what you like to wear to the IT workplace, then feel free. They don’t look good on everybody, either. Some of us are not made for the Power Suit look. Viva La Diversity!

Aye

by sbmknight ·

In reply to All in favor of the power …

You can never go wrong with a good suit. As a woman myself, I would opt for a pant suit rather than a skirt; it’s more practical and more IT friendly.

AYE!

by bluegiant ·

I agree 100% with jmgarvin, including colors, styles etc. Regardless of the normal working attire at the company, a person interviewing for a professional position should always arrive dressed in a conservative suit (male or female). This conveys your respect for the company, the interviewers, the position, and yourself. It also sends the message that you are professional and take your work seriously.

I’ve interviewed many people and my first impression based on dress and grooming tends to be right more often than not. Dressing appropriately for the situation (the interview) tells me that they took the time to prepare for an interview, they understand the situation, and they care enough to groom themselves appropriately.

One last thing, be sure to pay attention to the other physical details such as nice shoes and accessories, hair, nails and not too much perfume. The details add to a positive first impression.

These were things that I was taught when I seperated from the US Navy. They offered a week long seperation class that covered, among other things, how to effectively land the right job. As I look back, this was one of the best classes I ever attended. I still use many of those skills today.

Good luck with your interview!

Mark

Your daughter’s right

by prolifiq ·

In reply to I just told my 20 year old daughter….

A dress is an interviewing no-no in today’s job market.

Go for the power suit, like James suggested… one with slacks (preferably), or a blazer/blouse/skirt combo that means business.

I wear slacks a lot in my job now…

by geekchic ·

In reply to Your daughter’s right

because I never know when I may have to climb up a ladder or under or on a desk. In the IT world you never know what you are going to be doing and if you want to actually solve a problem sometimes you have got to be willing to climb into a ceiling or under a building….can’t do that in a skirt….

Keep in mind…

by bluegiant ·

In reply to I wear slacks a lot in my job now…

Keep in mind that you’re dressing for an interview, not a normal day on the job. Contrary to what others have said, I would have a better first impression of someone arriving in a suit…even if I was dressed business casual. I’ve interviewed many people when I was dressed in business casual and I always have a positive first impression when they come in a suit. That impression sometimes changes when they open their mouth, but that’s another topic. 😉

I’ve never heard of someone leaving a bad impression because they were too well dressed!

Also, in addition to organizing your personal material, make sure you do some research on the company…what their major products are, sales dollars, market position, organizational structure, IT environment etc.

Again, good luck!

Mark

You can wear slacks to an interview

by kdoyle ·

In reply to I wear slacks a lot in my job now…

A power suit is fine, but that can be slacks and a matching jacket, as well as a skirt, if you’re more comfortable in slacks (I can’t remember when I last wore a dress or skirt and I’m in a position where I don’t have to crawl around under desks or behind furniture anymore). Just keep to the standard colors ? navy blue, black, or gray — and don’t wear too bright a blouse. Make sure your shoes are polished, wear minimum jewelry, and don?t go overboard on makeup. (If it’s a law or financial type firm I probably would wear a skirt, they’re a lot more stuffy.)

Making a good first impression is important, but don?t forget to do your research on the company. Point out what you can do for them; how is hiring you going to help them.

Good luck.

Keep your focus

by amcol ·

Whether your daughter’s right or wrong about a dress isn’t the issue. (BTW, she’s wrong, and why you’d take advice on appropriate attire in the workplace from a twenty year old is another question. Two words…flip flops. Nuff said.)

I hope for your sake you’re putting at least as much effort into your professional preparation for this interview as you are figuring out what to wear. You come into my office in the nicest corporate appropriate duds I’ve ever seen but are unable to tell me what my company does and why we’d improve overall value by hiring you and I guarantee you what will leave the greatest impression on me will NOT be your attire.

Suit, dress, slacks, skirt, just pick one already and be done with it. Spend some time on something that matters.

oh yes…I am…

by geekchic ·

In reply to Keep your focus

I have already assembled some examples of my work – just in case they ask…I am not going to throw them out on the table and say “see what I can do!!” I just want to have them with me just in case…as an example

I do a lot of technical writing/training and I am a manager here so I have some “history” of both good and bad hires. I have some notes that I made so I can refer to them, just in case I need a date that my brain freezes up on.

I think I actually have most of the info together…just a little folder..nothing to obvious. And I have a list of questions to ask them also…because they ALWAYS ask that last question…anything we didn’t cover? Anything you’d like to ask?? I want to make sure I remember what I NEED to ask…

I assume this is a “professional” job

by m_a_r_k ·

For a professional position…Dark suit; understated, not flashy. IMO skirt is better than slacks for a job interview. (Unless you’re a male interviewee. haha) Doesn’t matter if you’ll be wearing slacks/pants/jeans on the job. BTW, in the good old high-tech glory days of the late ’90s, it didn’t really matter much what you wore to an interview. If you could spell “IT”, you were pretty much guaranteed a job offer. Them days are long gone.

Keep it simple

by maecuff ·

Business attire. If you wear a skirt, wear hose. Nice shoes, no scuffs, matching bag, neutral colors. Neutral polish on the nails (or at least no visible hang nails). No showy jewelry. Best accessory.. confidence.

And DON’T be terrified!! What is there to be afraid of? You already have a job, and with this one, you’ll either get it or you won’t. The sun will rise the following day either way.

YES it matters.

by tomsal ·

Keep in mind when you read this I’m a guy so I’m speaking in a guy perspective, since I don’t myself wear dresses or skirts…lol…but you should get what I’m meaning…

Personally the very few times I interviewed someone I don’t really give a rat’s arse if you are “dressed to the nines” as they say. I do care that you are wearing full set of clothes (with shoes) and your clothes are clean, unwrinkled, you wouldn’t feel ashamed if you wore the outfit at church and you don’t smell. I’m serious, I know I’m being kind of blunt in my words but I mean I just wanted someone to look like they aren’t a bum and they can’t go right to the beach from my interview without changing.

HOWEVER, *MOST* interviewers WILL expect the suit and tie attire (woman’s business suit, nice dress?). I myself wear a suite and tie when on an interview.

Like another poster pointed out..when it doubt dress up.

No one at an interview is going to look down on you if you are dressed up. If the company is more casual they’ll likely say “Oh yeah and don’t worry about wearing a suit to work, as you can see business casual is the norm here.”

HOWEVER, if you go casually dressed there *IS* a chance someone will be thinking “I can’t believe that woman showed up to an interview and didn’t even take the effort to dress up for the occasion”. Then they may say “And when you show up for work make sure dress up a little more than you are now.” (this is rare though…unless they see your ONLY flaw as you were under-dressed they’ll never call you back after the interview.)

Not complex at all if you think about. Work is a game — its all appearance and politics. Just play the game and you’ll do fine.

But be relaxed in your interview, you have the have “I’m da(wo)man” attitude! (just don’t be arrogant about it…come off nice, polite, intelligent). It doesn’t hurt to show a bit of sense of humor either – where appropriate.

🙂

Been there with applicants

by beads ·

In reply to YES it matters.

Had both men and women show up to interviews smelling like they just left the farm. Applicants who haven’t shaved in a week. If they are wearing a tie it isn’t tied correctly. What is that anyways? A half-sminser? Pay attention to the little details. The other person may not and that in itself may make all the difference between you and the person who gets the job.

If your comfortable look around for something neutral to compliment. Could be pictures of the hiring managers childeren, awards (I love me wall) or office setting itself. Its a good way to engage the interviewer with some simple icebreaking flattery. If you can do it sincerly it will help get you noticed and you’ll both feel more at ease with the interview.

With IT there is a bit of swagger. Just don’t over do it. You want to BE THE COMPETION not just an also ran. Be the competition for others to beat not just for yourself.

Relax, pay attention and don’t sit all the way back into the chair. Sit with you back off the chair. “Shows” that your being attentive and interested with the interview. Sitting a bit twoard the edge also makes you sit up properly. Hopefully, you have good posture.

Finally, when asked if you have any questions. Find something good to ask – anything. Nothing impresses me or hiring managers more than to think thier time wasn’t wasted.

Enjoy!

– beads

First Impressions

by usedman ·

As the years go by, and the times change with each generation. One thing that stays constent in my opion is the first impression you get when you meet someone for the first time. Qualifications, experience and work records have a lot to do with hiring someone, but if you are unshaven, hair messed up and give a ragged appearence it takes away from your score as far as I am concerned. It doesn’t hurt to clean up for an interview even if the job allows jeans and sneakers for a dress code. You need to look like you want the job, and body language has a big effect on interviewers. If a “Motley Crew” T-shirt and jeans with the knees out of them is your idea of making a good impression, then I am too old to tell you what you should do.
      Usedman………

I would never wear a motley crew shirt…

by geekchic ·

In reply to First Impressions

maybe the Monkees or the Carpenters! LOL! But you are right…first impressions are memorable. I also interview potential employees and have been surprised at their attitudes and attire at times.

I interviewed one young lady that was shall we say “well endowed” that kept readjusting herself. Reached under her jacket and adjusted her bra straps several times, pulled little strings off the bottom of her slip and just in general couldn’t seem to sit still. By the end of the interview, her shoes were off her feet and on the floor. Now if she had been qualified for the position I may have overlooked that and just considered it to be nervousness. But I also give a little “exercise” before the interview and she didn’t get one question right. Most people get 7 out of 8 questions correct so it isn’t actually difficult.

Another one (even though the the job description said “professional attire”) arrived 20 minutes late wearing a “high rise” Willie Nelson t-shirt and “low rise” jeans and flip flops. Apparently, she had been “shopping” and lost track of time…ummmm. Didn’t bother with the test for her because was obviously not serious about wanting the job.

But on the other hand, I have actually hired several that “looked good” on paper AND in person that have ended up being the employees from “you know where”! Of course after a LOT of documentation, they ended up “gone”.

Here’s a little story

by dmambo ·

In my young days, I had an interview at an unnamed pen mfgr (BIC). The head hunter told me that they had a casual atmosphere and nobody wore ties. During a phone interview, the HR manager stressed the same thing. I even asked the headhunter if I should wear a suit to the personal interview. He said he thought it would not be necessary, so I wore good khakis, a button down shirt and loafers.

When I got there, all the management were wearing suit clothes, just without ties. Many even had jackets on in the halls, just no ties. Later when the headhunter called to tell me about the interview, he said they referred to me as “the guy who didn’t wear a tie.” Didn’t get the job. (Decided before I even left the plant that I didn’t want the job.)

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

Reply To: Does what someone wears to an interview matter?

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to Here’s a little story

It never hurts to be overdressed (unless you’re interviewing for a job as a ranch hand and part of the interview involves a test at your skill in shoveling sh*t out of a barn). Underdressing, on the other hand, can be fatal to how people perceive you. Dressing up shows respect for the company at which at you are interviewing and for the people interviewing you.

Try the stalker method

by countrytechie ·

Park outside of the company either at the start of work or at the end of work. See what the people who go in and out of the building are wearing and then aim for just a little nicer than that. That way you both show you can fit into their culture and made an effort for the interview.

I like that idea….

by geekchic ·

In reply to Try the stalker method

never been a bigger supporter of “stalking” but I think that is exactly what I am going to do!

Ok Friday is the big day…

by geekchic ·

got all my stuff together and I think I am ready. Thanks for all the help and I will let you know what happens. Whatever happens, it is always good to experience the interview process, maybe I can learn from that even if I don’t get the job.

Thats the idea!

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Ok Friday is the big day…

One of the biggest lessons I learned is when I came very close (second out of 500 applicants) and called to ask why. If you do this with the right attitude and have the right contact, you can learn alot. I learned the importance of selling myself. Its like a sales job. You have to be a good closer….

James

Keep us posted

by dmambo ·

In reply to Ok Friday is the big day…

As with most of these discussions, this baby has taken on a life of its own beyond the initial post.

I’ll be looking forward to your full and complete update on Friday afternoon 🙂

No matter what happens, keep a positive outlook!!

As an interviewer, I expect…

by realgem ·

I’m an interviewer. I have interviewed quite a few people, and while dress is not a critical factor, it can make the difference in a close race.

Organizations that have formal hiring processes may have scoring systems. The higher scoring candidate is the automatic winner, as long as they exceed a minimum threshold in each category.

“Presentation” can be one of those factors. Now, presentation includes dress, but could also include attentiveness, use of gestures, appearance of confidence, clarity of speech, and other things.

Let me put it this way: if the job is soooo good, why would you wear jeans and take the chance of losing out to someone who wears a suit?

Where is this?

by dc guy ·

Your profile doesn’t show a location. Standards and attitudes are not uniform across the U.S. In Los Angeles you could be interviewed by a CIO wearing blue jeans; some people really mean it when they say “casual.”

Fortunately the standards are more ambiguous for women than for men. Dress, blouse and skirt, blouse and pants, skirt suit, pants suit. Each of these types of outfits comes in a wide range of formality/informality. If the interviewer is a man, he may be as clueless a I am as to what is “proper” attire for a woman in a particular situation.

Ageism is a huge problem today. You have a youthful attitude that belies your chronological age, so you should capitalize on that. Choose a fashion that accentuates your youthfulness, something that will make you seem a little younger in conjunction with the way you talk and carry yourself and the things you’re interested in. Don’t overdo it unless the job is in Hollywood because that will come across as dishonest. But play the game to win. If you met a woman in her early 40s who felt very simpatico to you, what would she be wearing?

Whatever your choice, make sure you’re at ease with it. You don’t want to be thinking about your clothes during the interview. And–again as long as this isn’t Hollywood–you don’t want the interviewer concentrating on them either.

The particular job you’re applying for matters too. Managers, internal consultants, and IT experts each have their own peculiar dress code. You want to look like a natural fit for the job.

As an interviewer, I want applicants to look like they put some effort into looking nice today. I expect some of them to walk in a little overdressed for the position, and that’s okay, but so is being dressed at just the right level. Techies who normally work in yesterday’s t-shirt, torn Levis, and huarachis often overreact and come to interviews practically wearing a tux. That’s just amusing. But if it’s a job requiring people skills, I would not like an applicant who was vastly overdressed because it displays poor judgment.

Personally I would like you to be yourself and let me see who you are, because after all that’s who I’d be hiring.

If you don’t look like you’ve made an effort

by tony hopkinson ·

you’ll look like someone who hasn’t made an effort.
      I always dress up in my wedding and funerals kit for interviews.
      Hair cut never goes amiss and don’t forget to polish your shoes. I’ve never had an interviewer check them but you’ll be nervous all the way through wondering if they are going to.

Yes it Does Matter

by trevorvance ·

As long as you present in a neat,clean and tidy fashion, typical examples are clean shoes, ironed shirt, etc. I find that first impressions do count in that they assist interaction, you don’t want to feel like the odd one out at an interview. It is also realistic to ask the panel chair prior to the interview about the dress expectations, however if it is a formal panel interview, dress to do business. Hope this helps and good luck.

what position?

by korgmeister ·

you should tell us what position you are interviewing?

It is a professional IT position…

by geekchic ·

In reply to what position?

involving extensive customer service both on and off site. The job consists of assisting with the use of network resources and computer services and equipment. That is all I know right now!

You dress for the job

by zlitocook ·

IT positions Dockers slacks and a button up shirt will do. If you dress up too much the interviewer will think that you do not want to get dirty. And if you dress down too much they will think you will be a slacker, so one who comes in and just will do the least to get by. But the outfit is only one thing they look at; your presentation of your self and the way you talk to them is just as important.

I disagree with this

by dmambo ·

In reply to You dress for the job

As far as the dress code goes, it’s easy enough to describe the times you had to work above the ceiling tiles or in the new construction areas. But it would be a difficult task to overcome the impression that you’re not willing to make the effort to dress up for the interview. I’ve seen people wearing suits to interviews for factory mechanic positions. It shows that they are serious about trying to get a leg up on the competition.

Absolutely!

by jamesrl ·

In reply to I disagree with this

I did a lot of interviewing last year. I expect someone asking for a job to be dressed their best – in other words, they won’t always dress like that everyday.

I attended a seminar when I was job hunting on dressing for interviews. The rule of thumb is one level above – if you are applying for a technicians job, you shouldn’t wear the same kind of $1000 Italian suit that the CEO would wear, but dressing like the supervisor or manager is not a bad idea. When in doubt, go over.

James

I agree

by bluegiant ·

In reply to Absolutely!

That’s the same thing they taught us when seperating from the military. Fantastic course by the way.

Mark

Its like a date

by ndcold1 ·

In reply to I disagree with this

I have always been the interviewee but have found that most interviewers are going on first impressions, therefore you look like a slob your a slob.

clothes make the man/woman?

by dobbinsm ·

Where loose comfortable nice clothing. Don’t over dress. I like people to look professional, but ready to work. I also like for them to be relaxed and you can’t do this in a dinner dress.

INTERVIEW CLOTHES MATTER : )

by nees ·

Your post makes me smile. It sounds like it was meant to be. You are suddenly in a situation and wonder how you got there. Go to Books-A-Million and look at the photos in a book telling you what to wear for your type interview. I would suggest a good fitting conservative colored pantsuit in a color that flatters you, such as charcoal or black. The slacks should not be too tight. The jacket should button. The jacket should be form fitting in at the waist. No boxy old fuddy duddy silhouette. Wear that with a very bright colored blouse or nylon blend tank top (nothing too low cut and no turtleneck) in a color that flatters you. Wear medium heeled shoes. Carry a medium sized handbag that looks like a neat briefcase. Nothing too big. Not a tote bag. Take only a fw items in the bag. If you carry a folder, then carry only a small bag. You want to be organized and streamlined. The material should be leather or imitation leather. Your jewelry should be small to medium plain pearl or plain silver or gold hoop earrings, a conservative watch, and a plain small bracelet which could have small stones to pick up the color of your blouse/top. Wear low-key make-up. Your hair should be neat. If you have long hair, pull it back in a clip or dark bow at the nape of your neck if this is flattering. The look you are going for is trendy to show that you are up on the latest. Business-like to show you are intelligent. Soft touches to show you are a well-rounded personality who gets along with others. A general guideline would be to study the look of female newscasters. The neckline away from the face gives a power effect. Sketch what I have described and imagine the total impression. You should come across as you, and you will connect with what is right for YOU. : )

You have WAY overthought this

by amcol ·

In reply to INTERVIEW CLOTHES MATTER : )

You think maybe it would be a good idea to put this kind of effort into the intellectual preparation for the interview, rather than the sartorial one?

I really can’t remember the last time I rejected a candidate saying to myself, “Wow, that person knew all about my company, the industry, had all the right skills and experience, was able to demonstrate the value she could provide, but can you believe her belt didn’t match her shoes?”.

Sheesh.

Wear a conservative suit to the interview

by too old for it ·

A good guideline is to always dress one level above the position you are seeking.

Another one is to dress conservatively. When I was interviewing, I looked for someone who cares enough to do at least the initial effort to look professional.

Seven warning signs that you should turn down a job offer

by m_a_r_k ·

geekchic, I found this here at TR. Thought it might be useful if you get an offer from the company you’re interviewing with.
      http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-1049478.html
      http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-10881-5766711.html?tag=fdpop

best thing to wear

by maeve ·

Hi there from a fellow lady in IT,

The best thing to do is wear a smart suit but wear s more standard or casual top underneath instead of a shart shirt or blouse. That way if when you go into the interview room and they’re all a bit more casual, then take off your jacket and you will look fine!

Wear open-backed heels too as they look dead smart with a suit but once you’ve taken off you’re jacket (if necessary) they look more casual 🙂

All the best!

Careful on this one, and more advice

by csettle ·

In reply to best thing to wear

I’d be really careful about open-anything shoes. Some companies don’t allow them in their dress code. Open-backed ones can also make a slap-slap noise when you walk, which is distracting at best.

Here are a few guidelines I’ve learned over the years (BTW, I’m 47 and female and in IT and have interviewed a lot due to layoffs, moves, etc.):

– stick to the professional look, do not do the girly thing
        – don’t do lots of jewelry, but choose things that have clean, strong images (I have a favorite dragon pin – if they can’t handle a strong image, they’re not going to want me anyway)
        – DON’T wear perfume – some people are allergic, and others just don’t have the same taste you do
        – don’t wear ruffles or lace or really loud prints – solid colors tend to be best
        – don’t overdo the makeup, but wear a little natural-looking
        – Make sure you look neat and well-pressed, your hair is well groomed, your nails are neat, clean and even, etc. All the obvious stuff.

In other words, look like you’re a pro, and you’ll feel like one. It also helps you come across as a pro, and you’re selling your professional skills, not your stunning great looks.

To help you relax, practice with friends before the interview. Know what your true strengths are, and know how to answer the “what is your greatest weakness” question positively.

When you get to the interview, relax. Remember, you’re interviewing them to decide whether you want to work with/for them too.

Best of luck!

It matters a lot

by jayster7 ·

I think it definitely will matter what you wear, and like many have previously said, you cannot go wrong with business dress. Even if the shop ends up being shorts and sandals okay on Fridays (ah that was a nice temp spot…), by wearing your business dress, I think you are clearly showing your potential employer that you put their business first and respect it. Good luck!!

What to wear.

by komputeral ·

This may not help since I am a man but… I now ask before an interview to whomever I am meeting with. I would either wear a suit or a shirt and tie. Never less. I ask because some places are casual and I tell them straight out I don’e won’t to overdress for the interview and make anyone uncomfortable (especially me) or stand out to much. They are always receptive to the question and usually tell me a shirt and tie is fine.

Good Luck.

Yes

by trafficjon ·

Geekchic:

I’m also a part time recruiter and work for a staffing agency.

If at all humanly possible, find someone who works for that company and ASK THEM about the dress code, or even sit in the parking lot in the morning to watch people go into work.

You should normally dress somewhat better for an interview than you would actually dress for day to day work.

Hope that helps.

Jon

What if

by lemondrop ·

In reply to Yes

What if you are meeting the recruiter for lunch?
        I definitely plan on dressing up. The thing is, I am still at work and don’t want to draw too much attention to the fact that I am “interviewing” today. I think that I will dress nicely and appropriate, but will save my “knock-em dead” interview power suit for the actual employer.

Please let me know your views. I haven’t interviewed with a recruiter before. I am also 52 and after 13 years of working for the same employer, I am getting back into the job-search. I think dressing makes a difference to me, but am open to hearing what you all have to say.

Professional Attire – best practices

by sid ·

How we dress to an interview matters more than you can imagine! I run my own consulting firm, so every time I walk out the door–even to go jogging–I might meet a new client.

The simplest rule is–dress for the job you want every day and go one step above that for an interview.

I did this in March and it paid off. I went to a class with over 240 people in the room. I was the only one in a suit and tie. A world-class instructor was teaching. At the break, I walked up, told him what I could do, and–to make a long story short–got a job with a world-class company.

It is really hard to know what to wear. I did some research and found a best practice. I highly recommend Dawn Waldrop’s book Best Impressions. Check out http://www.best-impressions.com. The beauty of her system is that you learn to be naturally yourself and also wear what works for the interview or job.

Yes, It Matters…

by sneakers ·

Make sure you are wearing your best suit, white shirt, preferably a red tie and polished black shoes. Never go to an interview dressed casual. I am a CIO and even though you might not dress that way every day at the job, on the interview you want to impress guys like me. Dressing for success will also make you feel good about yourself and more confident. Just my two cents…

Cross-dressing?

by itsecurityguy ·

In reply to Yes, It Matters…

Are you suggesting that she become a cross-dresser?

Ooops!!!

by sneakers ·

In reply to Cross-dressing?

I read the message so quick. I didn’t realize he was a she. I guess the word “dress” was a clue. Duh…

Yes and age is irrelevant

by rzs ·

Dress as if you are attending a presidential inauguration—-your own! How you dress reflects how much respect you have for the interviewer and the job. If you want it, act as if you really want it! Also, send them a nice thank you letter following the interview.

Wow, what a great string of advice

by it mgr/packer fan ·

Geekchic, good luck! I have an interview today as well, 3 pm- going for an IT project manager position- my department at a local college was outsourced to Collegis, and when I saw this site, it was good for me to read all these comments– very helpful, all of you! I have my power suit loaded and ready to go, and am interviewing three fellows, who are application and dev directors. It is a jungle out there, but good to have the opportunity to sell yourself!

simple rules

by hitlst ·

Dress to Kill,not to Thrill.
      Walk in there like you know what you are
      doing,not like you own the place.
      Keep eye contact,Don’t stare.
      Expect the unexpected,Don’t react to it.
      Don’t expect the interviewer to be male,Don’t be surprised if she is female,and if so,don’t just relax.
      Come prepared with questions,Don’t overwhelm with the mundane.
      So as not to ramble I will stop somewhat short.
      Look and feel absolutely stunning,don’t drown in perfume or wear next to none.
      Lastly,have fun and be yourself,don’t get too personal though.
      This is a learning experience as well as a job interview.Learn what you can.Remember all the above,Also remember,you do have a job right now,so you are not losing anything!
      Best of Luck and breath………

It Matters

by cab1906 ·

If you didn’t think it mattered, why are you asking? Its one of the first things people notice about you, so why not make a good first impression? Big deal if it takes you an extra 15 minutes to get dressed. I’ve seen IT professionals who were brilliant, but because of their appearance, I would NEVER hire them. Its like having filet mignon served up on a garbage can lid. Its not very appetizing is it?

Good rule of thumb

by andy m ·

A good rule of thumb I was given is to always dress up one level above the normal work dress for the job you’re interviewing for. If the dress code is jeans and a T-shirt, then a suit is overdoing it; if the dress code is a shirt with a collar and slacks, then you need at least a tie; and of course, any higher than that and you need a suit (or dress, etc.).

Dress like you would if you had the job……

by is girl ·

If you had the job and had an important meeting with someone whose first impression of you mattered, you would break out your favorite pant suit, wouldn’t you?

You can’t go wrong if you are comfortably dressed in attire that is appropriate for the occassion. Granted, in IT, sometimes jeans are most appropriate for the work you are doing…but other times you will be meeting with people you are trying to impress.

If you don’t have a couple of good meeting suits – get shopping, girl !! You will probably have at least two interviews and you should always have something appropriate in your wardrobe for times when you have to make a presentation, meet with new clients…or go to a job interview.

It doesn’t have to be stuffy or navy, but I recommend something in a neutral, seasonless color and fabric that you feel great in. Don’t feel like you have to stick with a blazer and slacks either…..women have lots of options when it comes to looking pulled together and professional. The most important thing to bear in mind is that you should actually fell comfortable in your attire — don’t buy something that is totally not you…you will look stiff and overdressed !

And…don’t wear a dress or a skirt — your daughter is right !!!

Exactly!

by it mgr/packer fan ·

In reply to Dress like you would if you had the job……

I agree– am a feminine IT manager, and believe it best to wear slacks to an interview- you want them to take one glance at you, and think “impeccable”, then focus on what you bring to the table. It evens the playing field- and having worked with predominantly male co-managers and supervisors for most of my career, it is best that they are able to view you as a potential peer.

Be Comfortable

by computer_chick ·

Wear a suit. If that sounds contradictory, then you haven’t found the right suit. I don’t really agree with the whole power-suit thing, unless you’re going for a power position. Besides, in my part of the U.S., we’re having 100 degree days. How uncomfortable is that?

I have a nice summer seersucker material suit, jacket and skirt. The colors are light and neutral. It has 3/4 sleeves on the jacket, with a bit of crochet trim. The skirt is a simple A-line. I would never wear something like this to work, but I wore it on an interview. It was a cooler day, below 90, so I wore stockings. If it had been over 90 degrees, I would’ve really had to re-think that.

When I was first starting out (oh, so many years ago)I had an interview at a temp agency. Me and another lady showed up at the same time. They told her she looked more like she was going to a party than to work. I never forgot that. Don’t look like you’re going to a party.

I hope all goes well for you. Let us know what happens.

I call and ask

by bp7226 ·

As strange as it might sound to some, I always call and ask what the dress code is at the new place and tell them that I want to dress appropriately for my job interview. Potential employers have never been upset by that call, in fact, it has always been counted as a plus for me in job interviews. They know I wish to make a good impression and am not afraid to ask what is expected. Asking is always basic to good communication skills. Good luck!

First Impression

by lvincelette ·

When I am interviewing someone, the first thing I do is attend to how impressed I am with their appearance. The IT department interacts with the internal customer, (other staff), on a constant basis. The external customer, i.e. users and vendors look to IT staff as the authority for the technology and software systems of the organization. A poor physical presentation does not lend to an impression of authority or expertise and the individual’s credibility will suffer as a consequence.

A good rule of thumb at an interview is to dress appropriate to the position above the one you are applying for. For men and women I look for well laundered clothes that are not faded, torn, or wrinkled and that fit properly. While I like to see business suits on both men and women and will tend to give more points in this area on the interview form…I do not subtract points if the men are wearing a sports shirt or a polo shirt and slacks and the women are wearing a tasteful top and slacks. Wrinkles and stains are a definite pet peeve of mine as well as gaps around the buttons of a shirt that is too tight.

Hope this helps.

First Impression is not just the clothes

by j alley ·

In reply to First Impression

There have been lots of great posts and this would be a good read through for any applicant. I realize you may not read this before you go to the interview but you sound prepped.

My 2 cents are that the dress should be professional and comfortable and then you should think of other things. First impression – you walk in the door, look them in the eye and shake hands with a good firm dry handshake. How firm? exactly as firm as the person you are shaking hands with. If you are doing this, and they are too, they will notice the smile in your eyes more than the cut of your suit. (But if your smell preceeds you then that is the first impression so go easy on perfume).

Lets get back to some earlier posts that look at what you say. You want to describe your experience in a way that shows you know what is expected on the job, and to show that you will bring value to the organization.

I have just been through a round of interviews and was most impressed by a woman close to your age who came prepared with questions. One I liked was: ‘After I have been here for 3 months, what indicators would make you feel that I was exceeding your expectations?’ or something like it that shows you know you will be measured and you are interested in exceeding expectations. Depending on the answer, this may give you a chance to cover skills or experience that can show you will exceed.

Some others I liked, but it is risky, were questions around my management style and what it was like to work for me. Personally I valued it because it showed that the candidate was experienced in working at good places and not so good places and wanted to ensure that the work environment would be a good match with her. I may be unusual in this because I try to hire for fit among qualified people. I don’t want my team brought down by primadonnas or depressing people.

Good luck Geekchic! I look forward to hearing how you do.

Shoes are the key

by peter choi ·

I have heard more than once that shoes are the key to an interview. Most candidates are more or less the same about their suits, but if their shoes ain’t brushed up the impression may drop considerably.

==================
      http://www.bizcoin.com
      Commercial and financial institutions, mortgage corps, stock broker firms…
      Domain name now for sale on Sedo

Naah!

by mlanphea ·

What you wear to an interview doesn’t matter. Wear anything at all. It’s IT. (Where did you say that job was?)

floss says HIRE ME !!!

by avid ·

just kidding:)do a little research, find out what the interviewers will be wearing and match the level of dress. i think as long as you dress business casual you should be safe. i personally interviewed in a suit and it has been on the hanger since. after i got hired i started wearing sandals and shorts. but i think if i had shown up to the interview in sandals and shorts, they would not have even listened at the interview.

good luck

no rule of thumb

by thomas.stilinovich ·

At 40 years of age and after about 20 different jobs I have had plenty of experience – contract, permanent, government and private enterprise and the there is no rule of thumb. I have been told that I have been succesful because I wasn’t “dressed up” as they wanted substance over style and I’ve also received feedback that they expected suits over plain smart clothes as this shows an extra effort has been made.

Nowadays I wear the same clothes – smart casual as I would for work each day after the interview and I try to answer all questions as truthfully as possible. In that way I can say to them that “what you see is what you get” – seems to work ok for me as I probably have about a 90% success rate – but remember that that is also because I go for jobs that I’m qualified for or definitely have the potential – I dont talk myself up unrealistically.

It does

by arsalan_ayub ·

I am a software developer in Pakistan , here in our society dressing matters the most. And i would go with the phrase “First Impression”. thats all i would say adn good Luck

It matters

by riclags ·

If the employer sees that you dressed up for the interview appropriately, it will give them an idea as to how serious yo are about the position. Keep in mind that impressions do help a lot. You won’t lose anything if you dressed appropriately. Just don’t wear anything too flashy. Perhaps a simple suit will do, or what I call business attire.

Neat and professional

by codejock ·

“You can’t judge a book by its cover” — yet we humans so often do.

Dress neatly and professionally in business attire. Dress like you’re going up for the CIO’s job. They won’t toss your application for it. They sure as heck will if you dress poorly.

You’re trying to send them the message that you’re the best person for the job. Look the part. 🙂

As for nervousness, here’s a couple of things that have helped me calm the nerves.

1. The guy or gal on the other side of the desk is looking for all the reasons why you ARE the right person. They’re hoping you’re it! Every question, every technique in the interview is used to determine, “Is geekchic the ‘right’ one for the job?” He or she has a goal: Find the “best” person for the job possible.

2. Focus less on yourself and more on them. Approach the interview as a process for you to figure out whether you can and want to help them get what they want (a warm body in a chair is only a short-term goal; they’re hiring someone to get their needs fulfilled in some way; find out what they are if you can; then show them that you can help them meet the needs and goals of the job).

And remember, the interview process is a two-way street. You should be assessing them just as much as they’re assessing you. You might not want the job after you’ve interviewed for it. That 12 grand more a year may have a price tag attached to it that you don’t want to pay (like on-call 24/7, considerable business travel, being the dumping ground of everyone else’s problems).

Hope this helps, geekchic. Good luck on your interview(s).

It is done!

by geekchic ·

The interview is over…I was definately dressed appropriately. I changed from low heels to high at the last minute and it was a good choice, however….I did not feel comfortable during the interview at all. Not physically more emotionally…waited 35 minutes in a holding area (with others being interviewed for the same position) and then was escorted to the interview room and told along the way “how to act” before the board???

The written test they gave was very easy and took me less then 10 minutes even going back over it for grammar and spelling. Some of the others took more then the allowed 20 minutes and they actually went and retrieved them from the testing room to be interviewed.

As I was waiting my “turn” I noticed that all of the people that went in, came out in less then 5 minutes and the same happened with me…welcome sit down 5 questions…done!

I think what it boils down to is that they already have someone “chosen” for the position but were just going though the formality of the interview process.

I don’t expect to hear anything positive from them but it was a good experience in how NOT to conduct the interview process…

Thanks to everyone for your help and I hope that someone else can learn something from my experiences this week!

I will let you all know when I get the rejection letter!!!

Keep your chin up

by wtf_happened ·

In reply to It is done!

I kept a scrapbook of the rejection letters. Some places don’t even bother sending them now. One of the places I was rejected at, turned around the next month and hired me (and that is where I worked for 13 years) and am now working there under contract.

So timing is a big part of it.

Not necessarily

by jamesrl ·

In reply to It is done!

It could be a first level screening.

If I am interviewing, I like to focus on between 3 and 5 people for an in depth interview.

I usually use a telephone interview to screen, but they may be more formal and have a multi layered process. Five questions sounds like a screen, not a serious interview. Don’t count yourself out just yet.

I would never have a situation where multiple applicants wait together – that just feels wrong to me. I have had situations where the interview goes long , and the person leaving sees the next applicant, but I try to space them out to avoid that.

Still every chance to interview should teach something.

James

Sounds like a cattle call

by j alley ·

In reply to It is done!

I agree with James that it could only be a screen but it leaves me wondering would you really want to work there. I also try to respect the privacy of each interviewee and usually only get messed up if someone comes 30 minutes early.

When / if you get that second interview at least you will have the dress right!

Congrats! (I think)

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to It is done!

Woodworker hit the nail on the head, it was a cattle call. I hate the “new and improved” interview process.

1) Call in a good portion of the canidates, give them a simple test, ask them simple questions, and interview them via commitee.

2) Call back top 10 qualified canidates, give them a simple test, ask them simple questions, and interview them via a commitee, including the hiring department

3) Call back the top 5 qualified canidates, give them a slightly less simple test, ask them slightly less simple questions, and interview them via a commitee, including the hiring department and hiring manager

4) Call back the top 3 qualified canidates and proceed with interviews with the hiring manager….who will decide who gets hired anyway…

The whole HR process is a waste of time and money…

/bitter about HRs drones…

Dress Matters

by andrew.zografos ·

It doesn’t matter what job one applies for. Wether the pay is $2000/yr to $200k/yr. Nor does it matter what industry it is. When going for ajob interview dress matters. Why, because when walk through that door for the interview before one word is spoken an opinion of who you are is formed right there and then. Therefore look your best and I guarantee you 50% of your worries are over. The remaining 50% will be the interview process itself. Remember, if want the interview to go well, dress well. It shows confidence, it shows that you care not just about yourself but also the responsibility that the position requires.

Dress best, look best and all will fall in place. Good luck with the interview.

Appearance: the last of the great prejudices

by pjfromottawa ·

Anyone who says what you wear matters is part of the problem, not the solution. Judge people on merits of doing the job, not their fashion sense. You should be ashamed of yourselves. And don’t give me the line “it’s just reality”, CHANGE IT! You have the power. When you see a person walking down the street, and you disapprove of what they look like that says infinitely more about your character than theirs.

“But our clients expect a certain blah blah” and if your clients didn’t like you hiring black people that would be justification, Adolf????

I might be the nicest person in the world if you gave me the chance to prove it to you but if you pre-judge me based on appearance that won’t happen.

Judge people as if you are blind, based on their personality.

Have you touched a nerve? You bet. This really bugs the crap out of me.

Appearance: the last of the great prejudices

Dress for Succcess

by too old for it ·

In reply to Appearance: the last of the great prejudices

Dress for Succcess by John T. Molloy

Learn it, live it, love it.

rugs

by highlander718 ·

In reply to Appearance: the last of the great prejudices

Huh ? So don’t mind the dress, maybe we could go unshaved and unwashed too ? I mean appearance doesn’t count, right ? 🙂

Not just any t-shirt

by too old for it ·

In reply to rugs

Make it one of the latest offerings from tshirthell.com

Make sure you show your faux-gang tatoos, and those erstaz oriental characters that don’t mean anything.

Its official!

by geekchic ·

Thank your for your….blah…blah…blah…the position has been filled. At least they let me know!

Does what someone wears to an interview matter?

by cmclintonbrown ·

Your appearance is the “Second” impression that you will make with the potential employer (your resume was the 1st). I recently interviewed a person for a management position and the one thing that lasted after the interview was how the individual was dressed. They came to the interview in khakis pants with a polo shirt. They looked more like they were ready for the golf course than an interview for a management position. Needless to say, they didn’t get the job and it was not soley based on appearance, but that unfortunately played a role when deciding who was a serious contender versus who was not.

Take the time to present yourself professionally; just as you did on your resume. It will pay off in the end.

Good Luck!

RESPECT

by jay ·

I always wear a suit, pressed shirt and tie, polished shoes, etc. One August interview I had in Texas, I had on a suit and my interviewer was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. He already worked there, he had already proven himself. I still wore a suit back to the second interview, and the third (I did lose the tie on the thrid one, since it was a working evaluation. All this to say, I was showing respect to my interviewers through my actions, words and appearance. HELL YES it matters. Besides, if it comes down to you and one other candidate, and you’re both dead even – wouldn’t you hate getting passed over because of your shoes?

It SHOULDN’T matter, but it does

by obiwaynekenobi ·

The title pretty much says it all.. now I admit that I dress professional when I go to an interview (shirt+tie at the very least; I typically don’t wear the jacket), but only because I have to.

This crap is one of the things that really get me; people should judge and hire based on TALENT, not hire someone because they wore a three-piece suit to an interview and another guy, who may be just as qualified (if not more so), wore biz-casual. *sigh* This is part of the reason why I seriously think I could run half these businesses better than the idiots who run them now; I would hire people based on what they can DO or COULD possibly do (i.e. what they could be capable of), not if they have a 4-year degree in such-and-such or have 8+ years experience or dress like Donald Trump for an interview.

Completely Neutral

by seasonedtech ·

I have been in this business for a long time now and have found that for the most part being yourself is what matters. An interviewer/s can tell if you are the real deal or not. I have worked Retail, Acadamia, and currently in the Corporate world. There are times when I will dress in a suit but for the most part it’s business casual. Most folks in the industry I find are this way. Some of the jobs in this industry are difficult to accomplish in a suit. Running cabling comes to mind real quick. I have also found that when being called in for an interview it pays to ask before hand. Most ogf the time I have gone business casual but it all depends on the “IMAGE” the potential company is trying to project. It’s all a perception thing if you ask me. I find that most employers want people that know what is going on and as long as your not a coplete and total slob you will get the positin. I would also stay away from asking questions about wages or climbing the corporate ladder as well. This just shows the potential employer that you really want to be some one you aren’t. This is my schpeel so take it with a few grains of salt and for waht it’s worth.

How to know what to wear.

by jirlbeck ·

The best advice I know was from a trusted recruiter friend. His advice, “the shop is casual. Wear what makes you feel that you can speak and present yourself the best, but always dress one level above the firm to which you are interviewing.”

I end up wearing a suit coat and tie with coordinated slacks. It fits with a casual model but puts me one step up.

Viewing 50 reply threads