Social Networking Forum

General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Dumb@$$ staff and MySpace

by mark2.0 ·

I have had enough! I have a collegue who is intentionally provoking me to squash the internet usage within my office by openly posting ways around my (weak) web filter on MySpace. I think I will install a program that gives an allotted amount of internet time per day and then waves bye-bye as it shuts it off until the next day. On second thought, I think I will unistall her IE7 and take away the admin rights to reinstall it. Maybe I will only giver her access to three sites: Techrepublic (which is WAY over her head), ESPN (Which is WAY over her head), or the opening page of Disney. What do you think? Anyone else being taunted?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Funny

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Dumb@$$ staff and MySpace

why not just block it in the registry on his system, he will never know the difference I am sure.

Hehe

by kjell_andorsen ·

In reply to Funny

We had a little bit of fun with the myspace junkies in the office. We set up an internal DNS zone for myspace.com and had it redirect to a website with an angry-looking picture of our CEO with the caption “Myspace? Get back to YOUR space slacker!” Before redirecting them to our company website.

That was until upper management found out………

And Upper management found out because???

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Hehe

They were browsing on myspace… :^0

ROTFL

by kjell_andorsen ·

In reply to And Upper management found out because???

You know it!

Right idea though….

by jamesrl ·

In reply to ROTFL

At a previous employer we used to redirect to a warning page: The page you are trying to access violates our corporate policies, you are being monitored.

Then below that a statement of policies. They had to hit an acknowledgement button before they can navigate away.

James

We’ve gotten a bit more serious

by kjell_andorsen ·

In reply to Right idea though….

Yeah our days of being able to have that kind of fun are coming to an end. We just purchased a Barracuda Web filter appliance that so far has really impressed me. It makes it very easy for us to monitor and filter web traffic.

Our company is pretty small, but growing and it’s pretty interesting being involved in creating a more formal and controlled network. Needless to say it doesn’t always make the users happy, but it’s nice not to have to deal with the undocumented mess we had when my coworker and I took it over a little over a year ago.

That wasn’t fun, that was dead serious

by jamesrl ·

In reply to We’ve gotten a bit more serious

They can’t claim they don’t know the policy if we re-direct them to the policy every time they stray. We did by the way get everyone to read and sign a paper copy as well.

James

I was referring to

by kjell_andorsen ·

In reply to We’ve gotten a bit more serious

When I was talking about fun I was talking about putting up custom web pages with angry CEO pictures. I totally agree with you on the necessity of having a clear policy and pointing them to it if they violate it. Right now we have a rather generic Barracuda webfilter page, I think I might go ahead and insert a link to the acceptable use policy.

W2K has the right approach

by mjd420nova ·

What ever you do, don’t make it overt. If the user is smart enough to figure a way past the filter you set up, do it so they won’t suspect you’re behind it. It’s more fun that way and you’ll get to see them squirm. Time limits are too easy to work around. They sound like a fool, and fools can be so ingenious.

He may also freak out

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to W2K has the right approach

and think he got hit with a virus or something. If he checks with others just to check, and they have access, he may just freak. Or you get to watch him squirm a bit. Either way it oughtta be fun.

Edited to add: Put a webcam on him all week. You may just get that funny as he11 shots of him squirming and then beating up his keyboard or something…. :^0

Acceptable Use Policy?

by tig2 ·

Once you have made the reg tweak that W2K suggested, print out the acceptable use policy and pin it to his chair. If this continues, begin the escalation process.

Good luck!

Registry or hosts file

by jdclyde ·

a quick entry that tells the system that myspace is 127.0.0.1 and all is well in the world.

let them explain how the “internet is broken” when it is only that site.

B-)

Viewing 3 reply threads