General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--3/30/2000

By ebott ·
According to some estimates, more than half of all new computers installed in corporate environments are portables. Windows 2000 replaces the barely usable Briefcase utility with a new Offline Folders feature that promises to make life easier for notebook users. Have you deployed this feature? If so, tell your fellow TechRepublic members about some of its pitfalls and limitations. I'll dole out a total of 2,000 points to the best suggestions for synchronizing files on a notebook and desktop PC.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jokeman In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

To verify that the user can connect to the file share containing the files you want
to synchronize

1.Ping the computer using the computer's IP address to test base-level IP connectivity. 2.Ping the computer using the server name to test Domain Name System (DNS) name
resolution.
3.Use the net view command to view the computer using the server name to see the available shares. This also verifies that the user has rights to access the shares.

Check the amount of free disk space on the client to make sure there is sufficient disk space to
synchronize the missing files.

Check to see if you have applied any Group Policy settings that restrict other extensions from
being synchronized.

You should be sure that you haveenabled the followin

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by jokeman In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

ake Ownership

Allows or denies taking ownership of the file or folder. The owner of a file or folder
can always change permissions on it, regardless of any existing permissions that
protect the file or folder.

Synchronize

Allows or denies different threads to wait on the handle for the file or folder and
synchronize with another thread that may signal it. This permission applies only
to multithreaded, multiprocess programs.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Aaron V In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

I am using the Offline Files quite successfully. It is a huge improvement over the briefcase (which was always the first thing removed from my desktop).

Some notes on Offline folders:
It seems items (from the network) you normally find in the Recently used documents (zips, docs, excel, ppt, etc) are duplicated in Offline Files as Temporarily available.

Offline Files can be tricky to remove from the folder. If you select a Folder (directory) from the network, you cannot deselect a fileor files to remove. You must deselect the folder and then add in specific files.

Sync settings are important. If you like a quick startup or shutdown, you have to choose not to sync at those times. I currently only sync when idle. However, it seems to attempt to sync if I am idle and dialed in. So, if you are working on a file while dialed in, and are moving files around, updating, be careful, you may get sync problems.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by senfe In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

One of the ways we are using this for laptop users is to extend protection for all of their personal files and make “customizing” the laptop a breeze.

A desktop Win2000 user with "folder redirection" enabled in the group policy will push all of their files in "My Documents" to the designated server path. The files are accessible on any PC they log into within the domain. The user logs into the laptop, and sets the “My Documents” folder to “Make Available Offline”. This will sync the files from the server to the laptop. When they return, log back onto the network and the files sync to the server, the next time they login to their desktop, their files are there.

This is something that we are usingand it has greatly simplified the process of users taking data with them on laptops. This allows for a number of laptops to be customized for each user and you can also "redirect" the Desktop, Application Data and Start Menu folders.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by scubajeff2 In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Probably not the answer youre looking for- but on the portables we've tested, Win2000 brings all but the newest and most powerful units to a screeching halt. On my own HP, after cutting the boot load to the bare minimums still takes a "coffee pot boot", right at four minutes.

So, not being able to truly utilize w2k for portables, our answer is "what synchronized files?"

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
23 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next

Operating Systems Forums