General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Ed Bott’s Microsoft Challenge–4/27/2000

by ebott ·

A reader tells me he’s ready to ditch his 6GB IDE drive in favor of a screaming 18GB SCSI drive. But he doesn’t want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows 2000 and all his software and customizations. What’s the best way to move everything from his old drive to his new one so he can resume working without missing a beat? If a third-party utility is the answer, make sure it’s compatible with Windows 2000.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by bra-k ·

In reply to Ed Bott’s Microsoft Challenge–4/27/2000

Use Ghost and do a partition image.

by carmined ·

1)Use Powerquest Drive Image to clone, make exact image of partition, and partition your HD to 18GB. If your SCSI BIOS is disabled you will need to edit the boot.ini

OR

2)Format the 18GB HD in a spare W2K computer. Install 6GB in W2K spare computer and perform an xcopy /e /h /k from 6GB to 18GB HD. If your SCSI BIOS is disabled you will need to edit the boot.ini file.

Good luck

by avachon ·

Let me add specifics about powerquest since the question focuses on windows 2000. The utility is drive image pro 3.0. This software will create an exact image complete with intact customizations. The product also includes smart sectoring so the harddrive sectors are checked prior to the transfer which helps to reduce the chances of problems arising from copying bad sectors. Product reviews are on the powerquest site and utility runs around $70.00

by simon.wellborne ·

I would pursue this as follows:
      Install the SCSI Controller and drive in the system. Boot NT as normal and install the necessary SCSI controller drivers etc.
      Restart and use a disk/partition cloning tool such as Symantec Ghost to copy the partition from the IDE to the SCSI drive. Reboot and if necessary modify the boot.ini (SCSI BIOS/No SCSI Bios) on the SCSI partition. Shutdown machine, remove IDE device and ensure BIOS set to boot to SCSI.

Hopefully all is well. This method is carry-over from NT 4.0, where the change in boot devices (SCSI-IDE) could cause problems due to no drivers being installed. Not being an expert on Win2000, I am guessing that this method would still work.

Do people trust PNP, or do they still callit ‘shrug and pray’ in Win2000 also?!

by alexander ott ·

He might use GHOST 6 to prepare an Image of his 6GB HD. This Image can be spanned for storing purposes an may be copied to the new HD using Ghost again. Ghost 6 supports NTFS5 and quoting.

by fpling ·

I agreed with those readers who suggested Norton Ghost to clone the existing data on EIDE drive to SCSI 18GB drive. However, a note of warning, use only Ghost 6.03 since it’s compatible with Win2K. Check Symantec Products and Windows 2000 to verify this. After doing a partition of disk cloning, it is better to check the boot.ini to make sure the boot device is pointing to the new SCSI device.

Good luck!

by balos ·

Scenario 1: (provided that you have enough disk space/spare disk)
      1. Do a full backup with Win2000 backup.
      2. Do basic win2000 installation to the new disk.
      3. Do full restore from the backup you created in step 1.
      Note: Do not know whether it would work with IDE/SCSI swapping.
      estimated time: from 4-8 hours, maybe even more.

Scenario 2: (provided that you have another computer with win2000/NT 4.0(?) at hand, capable of handling both disks.
      1. Take the disk out and put it into anothermachine. Also put there the new disk.
      2. Copy everything from the old to the new disk. Be sure that the first partition on the new disk is marked active.
      3. Put the new disk in your computer and try to boot.
      4. You might have to change drive letters when booting for the first time. Also, you might need to tweak boot.ini…
      Again the same note: Do not know whether it would work with IDE/SCSI swapping. I think I have tried it on one computer and failed under NT 4.0…

estimated time (provided that everythi

by msullivan ·

Win2k Server and above:
      First Mirror the drives then break the mirror. Remove the original drive and use the Win2k repair utility to fix the boot files and mbr if necessary.

Win2Kpro:(A.K.A. the MS Answer)
      Backup the original drive using Win2K backup. Direct the backup to the new drive. Remove the old drive. Install minimal Win2K on the new drive and then restore the backup.

by rwgoodson ·

All of the solutions offered so far cost a little bit of money…
      If you are looking for the most cost-effective solution, why not add the second drive, Mirror the 6 GB Drive with a 6GB Partition on the second drive. After they synchronize, changethe boot.ini file to point to the new one and remove the old drive. Viola…New hard drive, no money spent!!!

by julian ·

ed:
      I recently set up my system to dual boot win2000 and win 98. I didn’t want to go through the hassel of reloading the system if after the install something fail so i ghosted the indivivual partitions with ghost 6.0. This worked also with a system that had only win 2000 on it and restored completely.
      drive to drive ghost should work i have done it before with win 2000 and nt4 and 98.

jack salerno
      julian@magicnet.net

by scathis ·

Got a Windows 2000 Server? If so, Get RIS, Remote Installation Services, up and running. Then connect to the RIS server and run \\machinename\REMINST\admin\i386\riprep.exe This utility will create an image of your machine as a scripted install. Then just make a boot floppy from the rbfg.exe program, boot your machine with the new drive, login to the domain and pick the image. Windows 2000 Plug and Play will handle the driver and drive size changes.

by jwitt ·

This one is easy just use Desktop DNA from Miramar systems http://www.desktopdna.com/ . I was just at the Spring Comdex show in Chicago and saw this product demonstrated.

by kakadak ·

You can setup a mirror set which will copy the files over to your new harddrive. A more efficient way is to setup 2 controllers for each harddrive. Mirror sets are the only way the bootup files are copied over, any other fault tolerant type system does not copy over the bootup files.

by bkaage ·

Install the second drive as a slave drive then use IMAGECAST 4.0 to do a direct disk to disk image and have imagecast format the rest of the drive as NTFS. Imagecast is windows 2000 compatible and this whole operation will take less than 20 minutes.

by sysop ·

Add the second drive to the system. Mirror the old drive to the new larger drive. After they synchronize, change the boot.ini file to point to the newly installed drive.

P.S. – Keep the old drive installed, there’s never enough room for stuff.

by omid919 ·

there is a programe called Ez-bios,(the main purpose of this software is to override your old Bios.)
      One of the utils on this programe ( on the advance option) is that you can copy( make an exact image) of your hard drive on another Hard drive,. just hook it up to the same system.
      (you acan find EZ-bios on any new HDD that you buy, it’s on the companion disk.)

by rideguru ·

Use Power Quest Drive Image Pro. Create the
      boot floppies for it, then boot from them and
      just follow the prompts. 🙂 If you attended
      the Install/Config Win2000 pro 1 day course
      that was offered, then a fully usable copy is
      on the student materials disk. After the drive is imaged, then you will have to edit the boot.ini.

by bgeng ·

Symantec has a program called “GHOST” that will format, and copy/duplicate one hard drive to another. Load it, run it, reconfigure and you should be off an comuting as if nothing had changed. By the way, follow the instructions, while not difficult, they do tell you what to do to ensure a flawless duplication.

by tacquard ·

A lot of your answers seem to revolve around Norton and Symantec. Personally, I don’t like their products. For the situation listed, I use Ontrack’s DiskGo Disk Manager, which easily copies and entire hard drive to a new drive.

by jmarnett ·

How about adding the second drive as a slave and leave the first drive in place. Then when new software needs to be added, it is simply added to the second drive.

I have another answer, this one cost money. There are disk duplicating hardwares inthe maket, these devices (worth around $700.00) will copy everithing in the old drive to the new. after this is done the computer should boot up with the new drve instead of the old with no trouble. I can not think of the brand name at this time, sorry.

Joe

by clarenceclaw ·

I would jumper the new drive to be
      drive #2, format it with (format/s), run
      fdisk. Then copy the folders as required.
      useing drag and drop. Then jumper it back
      to being drive #1.
      Remove the old drive. Better yet jumper it to be drive #2 andit for storage.

by techytype ·

Others have already stated use DriveImage by Powerquest, or Norton Ghost, to create an image of the hard drive. Restore it on the new drive. Make necessary adjustments to the partition size AFTER you have restored it and successfully rebooted it. I find some restores blow up if I try to change the partition size at the same time as the restore process. Then use PartitionMagic 5.0 (also by PowerQuest) to resize the partition to fill up the new drive. No, I do not hold stock in PowerQuest butthey do make some time saving and wonderful products!

by csiverts ·

Slave the old drive off of the new drive and use a program such as Norton Ghost, Quantum’s Ontrack Disk Manager or Western Digital’s Data Lifeguard Tools to do a sector by sector transfer of the old drive to the new one. At least that’s what I would do. 🙂

by sfields ·

There is probably many ways to accomplish this task… the fastest with good data intregity would be the following:

1. Get SYSPREP.EXE from the Support/Tools/Deploy.cab folder on the Win 2000 Pro CD.
      2. Run SYSPREP on the source disk with the following options:
      SYSPREP.EXE -nosidgen -pnp
      This prepares the system to be imaged so that it does not create a new SID when restarted, and forces a Plug and Play routine for older devices that may not be PNP. (Sysprep causes a mini setup like first boot by default and catches new PNP devices, but may not catch older devices and we dont know from the desc if the new SCSI controller is truly Win 2000 PNP or not.)
      3. When Sysprep finishes, it shuts the system down. Take the downed system, and put in the new SCSI hardware, and boot from a floppy created from Powerquest Drive Image 3.0.
      4. Image the drive from the source IDE to the new SCSI utilizing the above program.
      5. Remove the IDE drive from the system and boot to the new drive.
      6. The Sysprep

by gtait ·

If he is using server 2000 then he can install the new scsi drive, upgrade both hard drives to dynamic disks, partition off 6 GBs, then create the mirror set. Reboot if necessary. Break mirror. change the boot.ini, if scsi bios disabled, reboot, keep a boot disk with the original boot.ini, just in case. That should be it. I would keep the old drive for storage, or even a backup. Don’t throw away the old boot disk!

by tehsin ·

If I were the gentelman, I would
      fisrts make a system disk form the orignal ide drive and copy the config and autoexec files on it
      2ndly simply make the new drive a save and the old one master on the same machine.
      3rdly would format and partition the new drive so that it has atleast the same numebr of partions as on the old ide drive if not more
      4th transfer system on the new SCSI device form the orgnal IDE Boot Drive
      5th would drag and drop to move all thats on old drive to the new drive
      6th would change remove the old IDE inacse i dont need it or simply make it slave and the SCSI disk master and reboot

It has to work..:) no need of any other software (would take time but sure wont ask for money)

by hein ·

Install a temporary drive that will accommodate the compressed information (about half the total of the data on the 6G drive). Boot to DOS and use Ghost 6 from the command prompt with the switch “-split=610 -autoname” (without quotes) to obtain sequential files not more than 650Mb in total. These files should be written to CD before copying to the new drive in case of any drive problems. It is also preferable not to use Ghost from the drive to be copied.

by ruben316 ·

Use Symantec’s Ghost 6.0 Standard Edition

by ebott ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 28 reply threads