General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Entry Level IT Job Title?

by sniperlt ·

I am an out of work self taught network administrator. My last IT job was 2 years ago May 07. I got the job because I knew the manager at the apartment complex that wanted to establish a computer center since I was 16. He was my high school best friend’s dad. I had been working on his computers since he had and Apple I. He hired me because he knew my personality and that I was a hard worker.

Well I have a B.S. Degree but it is in Management Analysis. Basically applying math to solve business management problems. Time and Motion studies, GANTT analysis e.t.c I have NEVER worked in the field. I went into the Marine Corp and worked as a Logistics Officer for 8 years. I got out and did various odd jobs before my friend’s dad hired me to design,build and run the computer center.
    In any case I just have learned by doing over the past 30 years. I get interested in a topic in computers, I buy or borrow a book on it. I read the book from cover to cover at least twice and then go do what I read. So I have no certifications or degrees in Computer Science.

I am trying to get back into the IT field. I think I will have to start at and entry level position even at the age of 50. But I need to know what those entry level job titles are.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

What’s in a name?

by darkwhitechocolate ·

In reply to Entry Level IT Job Title?

This is a hard question to answer. Most titles are made for a specific position related to that company. My advice is to use the tools that job websites give to filter jobs. Most of them like Monster.com do have links to narrow your search by Entry level as added by the job poster.

Good Luck

Usually something like “Service Desk Level 1”

by charliespencer ·

or “Help Desk Associate”, “Network Technician A”, etc.

Whats in a name

by sniperlt ·

Is a place to start looking. I am at teh end of my rope trying to NOT have to work a McDonalds or as a Security guard. Nothing wrong with that honest work but I know I would be bored tears.

Viewing 2 reply threads