General discussion

Error when applying Windows XP patch Q307274

By Gyuraszi ·
Can anyone please help me with this one. We have a bunch of systems that we recently upgraded to Windows XP. Now these systems don't shutdown or reboot. There is a patch Q307274. But when we try to apply it we get the following error. "The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install.
Can anyone help? Please.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Error when applying Windo ...

Assuming that when you upgraded you had the Service Pack 1 revision to XP, the error on attempting to install the patch is correct.

The patch is for the pre SP1 release of XP, or systems that do not have SP1 installed.

As with any Windows shut-down issue, start with driver updates.

Video card,
Modem,
NIC

are all likely suspects.

Are you getting the old AT style "It is now safe to turn off your PC" screen?
If so, make sure that Power Management / ACPI is enabled in BIOS settings.

Then, enter device manager,
Click on view, and select view hidden devices / show all devices.
Right click on APM and choose enable.

Next, there is a very good XP shut-down trouble shooting guide posted at www.aumha.org

As a final side note, I have experienced a few hardware combinations that just would not shut down under XP.
On my first XP system, I had to change out both the modem and sound card to have reliable shut down operation.

Chas

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to

Got your message.

Yes, installing as an upgrade rather than a fresh install may be at the root of the problem.

When you install Windows as an upgrade you carry over any bad keys in the registry along with DLL files placed by installed software that may not work properly with XP.

Chas

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)