General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Error:6 FFFF:00000032 on reboot of ME

by laurie j ·

Hi,

I have a problem with my home PC running Windows ME.

It keeps crashing mainly in Word when trying to insert Clipart. On Re-boot I get a blue screen with the above error. The keyboard and mouse stop working and Num Lock light on keyboard is not on. It loads in Safe Mode and I ahve to re-boot due to keyboard and mouse not working.

On hard re-boot it boots up normally and I can work again. However it inevitably crashes again and I ahve to go through the abiove routine of hard rebooting.

Any ideas as to what is going on and what I can do to resolve this problem?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Error:6 FFFF:00000032 on reboot of ME

by statykserver ·

In reply to Error:6 FFFF:00000032 on reboot of ME

You can try the system restore (good luck) or reinstall Windows ME.

It is pretty well known that Windows ME is a pretty weak operating system that doesn’t take much to break. I would suggest to either do a fresh install of Windows 2000 /Windows XP or even go back to windows 98 if you want a little more stability.

by willcomp ·

Wouldn’t hurt to try an overwrite (repair) install of Me before resorting to more drastic means.

Win Me CD is required.

Boot from Me CD. Select “Start Computer with CD ROM Support.” Do not allow an auto-install to start.

At A:> prompt type D: then press enter where D is letter of CD drive.

Type CD\win9x and press enter.

Type setup and press enter.

Win Me setup should initiate. Eventually setup will recognize an existing installation and give you the option to repair it.

If you have any questions, post back.

Dalton

by asjwm2 ·

Hey,
      First, look at the “details” (click on the icon in the error box). If you are trying to insert clipArt, remember that visuals take a lot of memory. Go to MyComputer, properties, and check on the amount of RAM you have. I suspect that you need an extra RAM chip, which you can pick up at a used computer store.
      Actually, it’s Start, programs, accesories, system tools (maybe) to check on the RAM.
      Put another RAM chip in there and that should fix it. MS Word takes a lot of memory, so what’s happening is that your computer can’t accommodate MSWord and ClipArt at the same time.
      You need more memory. (RAM chip).
      Take off the cover and click in another chip.
      XXOO
      John

by hughiemcginley ·

I would suggest that you could try another memory module . I know that Me can be a problem at time but this may not the culprit here. Using ole with word (and u do not say if it word 97 or 2k) is very memory heavy in any os . Try another thing just in case move one clip art image to another part of you hdd and reduce the size of it using an image manipulater ( PSP or adove ) and try import it at varying image or resolution sizes. Lets know the results.

by keckjim ·

This same problem just started happening with my Gateway Computer which is also running “ME”. The difference is that it will no longer boot up in ‘Normal’ only in ‘Safe Mode’.

Viewing 4 reply threads