General discussion

Event ID 1000 - DNS Problem

By Peter Bate ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a problem with the w2k servers (surprise suprise) Where I am getting an error in my application event log 1000 where windows can not determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722)

Now, I have found the technet article regarding this event and it says to make sure the DNS server is reachable. I only have one DNS on another Windows 2000 server and it points to that on the same subnet. Active Directory seems to be working across the two servers, but I amstill getting this message every 3-4 minutes.

What is causing this?? Is there a setting on the Windows 2000 DNS Server that I have missed???

If you have an idea on what is happening, I would be greatly appreciative!!

Thanks again,
Pete

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to Event ID 1000 - DNS Probl ...

ummm RTFM,
What the menas is that you have a windows machine on your network not using the DNS server assoiated with active directories. In other words, a windows machine on your network has a differnt DNS server then your domain controller. Windows 2000 clients attempt to dynamiclly add their own DNS entry in the DNS server.

to resolve:
Change the DNS server address on the clients to the Windows 2000 server
or
Add a DNS entry for all clients on your windows 2000 name server.

ps
Try not to insult Windows 2000, in the Windows 2000 fourm. Is MAJOR improvment over NT 4.0.

Collapse -

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to Event ID 1000 - DNS Probl ...

I forgot the third option...
Althoug I haven't tried this, supposedly you can also go to the clients and uncheck, "Register this connection's address in DNS". Like I said I haven't tried that, thats like a patch rather then a fix.

Collapse -

by Peter Bate In reply to Event ID 1000 - DNS Probl ...

Aaron,

First, the 'insult' was ment to be a little tognue-in-cheek, I guess its hard to show in text : ) Personally, I am very impressed with 2k over NT and would rather a 2k server over the NT machines.

None the less, I followed what you mentioned above and was still experiencing error messages in the event log. Anyways, after a week of error messages, I unrelatedly rebooted the problem server, and the error has gone away!! Hmm, the secrets of a server reboot eh?? : )

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Peter

Collapse -

by s_pat_p In reply to Event ID 1000 - DNS Probl ...

use nslookup to check what dns server u are using .Change to one which you intend to use ...
Thanks

Collapse -

Hey, thanks for your input.

I rebooted the problem server today and the error has gone away!! Hmm, the secrets of a server reboot eh?? : )

Thanks again,
Peter

Collapse -

by jaystar In reply to Event ID 1000 - DNS Probl ...

you mentioned the servers were on one subnet...
Is it possible you have down-level clients on a different subnet, that the second server can not resolve via DNS? Does the other server also get these errors? If not, does it have a WINS server defined for it, or possibly is it multi-homed?

If it is the fact that you have down-level clients connecting, and you are using DHCP from Windows 2000, you can have the DHCP server register into DNS for them. (DNS tab in the DHCP scope)

Hope this helps, and let me know.
Jay Starling

Collapse -

Hi Jay,

I have the DNS and WINS server addresses in the DHCP setup. All the machines were rebooted and still I was getting the error message on the server! Grr. Anyways, I rebooted the problem server today and the error has gone away!! Hmm, the secrets of a server reboot eh?? : )

Thanks for your input.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums