General discussion

event id 31008????

By jmacalua ·
hi,

i have this error on my event viewer @ win2k machine and i dont what causing this error.

Event ID 31008:

Description:
The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

event id 31008????

by Joseph Moore In reply to event id 31008????

I did some research on this error, and there just isn't a lot out there on it. Nothing in Technet or MSDN. Eventid.net just lists that if you figure this one out, to let them know what you did!
I ran through all of the hits I could get off Google newsgroups, and found this one helpful post:
"The problem is clearly due to the inability of the DNS proxy agent to read the list of configured DNS servers from the registry. Since it can't read the list, it can't answer any questions from the DNS clients, so they report that they cannot contact the DNS proxy agent
(assuming the proxy won't really start until it has its list of servers).

Perhaps a good idea, one I suggested before, would be to lookup the name servers of your service provider and put at least three in the
registry via the adapter interface properties."

So, open Regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{30+ code for all installed NICs}
Edit the vaule for NameServer and put in the IP addresses for the DNS servers from your ISP.
If you don't know what the DNS server IP addresses are, then connect to your ISP, and do a IPCONFIG /ALL from a command prompt.
Then take the DNS addresses and put them in the NameServer value data box (separate IP addresses by a comma).
I would do this for any Interfaces that are listed (in case you have multiple NICs installed). After that, reboot.
Then connect to your ISP and see if the errors return.

If this works, please post that it did. I am curious on if this works!

Good luck!

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)