General discussion

Excel2000 database question

By Borg7of9 ·
Hello
I want to maintain a small contact databse in Excel, I have set up a worksheet, for example as such:

Name,Address.Phone,Fax,Email,Contact,Company

I have set it up across like this, so that later on, it can be brought into a proper database.

For now, From this list in excel, I want to be able to print reports of contacts in a more readable manner ie)

Name:
Address:
Phone:

Name:
Address:
Phone:

This way I can print different reports showing only the fields I choose.

Is there any easy way to do this?
Can any provide me detailed instructions on how to do it?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Excel2000 database questi ...

Use your Excel database as a Data Source for a Word Merge.

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by badermsb In reply to Excel2000 database questi ...

You mention your goal is to bring this data into a proper data, so why not start there? MS Access is very easy for a novice to create a flat file, basic queries and reports that would easily give you what you want.

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to

Collapse -

by DouglasB In reply to Excel2000 database questi ...

You would be better off to create the desired fields in an Access Database. You can then create queries to sort your data, and base report design on these queries. With a query, you can sort your address list by city, state, company, name, zip code, etc. You can always use mail-merge in word, basing the merge on the information in your database.

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to

Collapse -

by mikex In reply to Excel2000 database questi ...

Yes there is the easy way and it is:

Put your headers on the top of the worksheet. arrange it like a table with borders
Fill in the data that you need bellow the headers.
When you need to print the different type of report simply click on the column (the gray cell with Letter) => (=> = next)right click and select hide column

Remark: You can use the CTrl key to select different columns which aren't in sequence

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to Excel2000 database questi ...

Yes, I know I can do this in Access, but the question was how to do this all in excel, as this is for a unique situation. Does anyone know how to do this in excel?

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to Excel2000 database questi ...

Thanks, I know how to hide columns, but when I print the data, I want it print it in a list format, down, and not across as it is entered.

Back to Software Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next