General discussion

Exchange 2000 in Mixed NT Environment

By rick_b ·
I have a Windows NT 4.0 network, PDC, BDC's etc.
My Exchange 5.5 server needs replacing. I would like to upgrade to Exchange 2000 on my new server. I won't be able to upgrade my PDC and BDCs for awhile. Can I put an Exchange 2000 server on a Windows NT network without upgrading the whole network?
The Exchange 2000 config is as follows.
Win2K Member Server, Exchange 2000 in Native
Mode on a Dell Poweredge Server in a Windows NT 4.0 Domain.
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by NetTek In reply to Exchange 2000 in Mixed NT ...

Yes, you can run Exchange 2000 in a mixed environment. Knowledge base article Q295922 is your all-in-one upgrading how-to article.

Collapse -

by rick_b In reply to Exchange 2000 in Mixed NT ...

Thanks everyone for you help

Collapse -

by [_Rick_> In reply to Exchange 2000 in Mixed NT ...

Exchange 2000 requires Active Directory - no way around this.

Exchange 2000 will work in a mixed Exchange Environment as long as Active Directory is presence. So for what you are wanting to do you must:

1. Install Active Directory in your domain (which means you will lose the PDC, the BDCs can remain and will be fed by the Active Directory PDC Emulator)

2. Install E2k or upgrade your current Exchange 5.5 to E2K.

or to avoid some of this

1. Install Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 Active Directory in a separate domain. (Essentially installing a parallel envrionment)

2. Will require moving the users over to Exchange 2k. Depending on how you are currently configured this can be a easy step or can be a dificult step.

Both scenarios have their draw backs,

- the first you lose your PDC an drely on the Active Directory. But there is essentially only one Directory list to maintain.

- the second, your users will need to learn a new logon id an dpassword for Exchange 2000/Windows 2000 Active Directory. Requires maintaining two separate directories.

Imagine you cna probably see other pro/cons to these scenarios after readin gthe documentation on the Microsoft site.

recomemnded documentation (any and all that pertain to):

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 upgrades
Windows NT to Windows 2000 Upgrades
Active Directory

With the proper planning and understanding you shouldn't have any major problems with what you are looking to do. Just remember to plan, plan, plan. Expect the unexpected and you'll be alright.

Good luck

rick

Collapse -

Thank you for your help

Collapse -

by [_Rick_> In reply to Exchange 2000 in Mixed NT ...

Exchange 2000 requires Active Directory - no way around this.

Exchange 2000 will work in a mixed Exchange Environment as long as Active Directory is presence. So for what you are wanting to do you must:

1. Install Active Directory in your domain (which means you will lose the PDC, the BDCs can remain and will be fed by the Active Directory PDC Emulator)

2. Install E2k or upgrade your current Exchange 5.5 to E2K.

or to avoid some of this

1. Install Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 Active Directory in a separate domain. (Essentially installing a parallel envrionment)

2. Will require moving the users over to Exchange 2k. Depending on how you are currently configured this can be a easy step or can be a dificult step.

Both scenarios have their draw backs,

- the first you lose your PDC an drely on the Active Directory. But there is essentially only one Directory list to maintain.

- the second, your users will need to learn a new logon id an dpassword for Exchange 2000/Windows 2000 Active Directory. Requires maintaining two separate directories.

Imagine you cna probably see other pro/cons to these scenarios after readin gthe documentation on the Microsoft site.

recomemnded documentation (any and all that pertain to):

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 upgrades
Windows NT to Windows 2000 Upgrades
Active Directory

With the proper planning and understanding you shouldn't have any major problems with what you are looking to do. Just remember to plan, plan, plan. Expect the unexpected and you'll be alright.

Good luck

rick

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)