General discussion

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Mirgation

By Willo0710 ·
presently have a windows nt and win2k domain. To migrate from win nt to win2k I used the AD Migration tool.
To use this tool it I had to make my win2k domain a native mode domain. I have my ex5.5 server in the nt domain and want to use the ADC to connect to the new win2k domain so I can install a new ex2k server in the win2k domain and migrate them to the new ex2k server. The nt and win2k domains are on different subnet and I was made to
understand that to use the ADC both the ex5.5 server the the ex2k server must be on the same subnet and also the win2k domain must be in mix mode. now my win2k domain could not be in mix mode when I am using the AD Migration tool. How can I set this up so that my ex5.5 server can
communicate with AD and my new ex2k server, that are on different subnet, and yes I know I must install ADC on the win2k subnet. Is this possible for me to work with ADC across subnets.

Help need badly for this issue.

Thanks to you all.

Willo

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Honestly

by Chris.. In reply to Exchange 5.5 to Exchange ...

I've never seen an issue with the ADC working across different subnets. Really the big initial deal is Forest and Domain prep. Make sure that goes cleanly then fire up the ADC and you should be able to do the mailbox moves without much issue.

Mind you if the ADC jacks up or if the Domain or Forest prep are bad then you will be on the phone with MS for a long long while stripping the AD schema changes.

Thus make sure you have a good AD backup (conduct a system state backup on any DC) and watch the ADC. When you get it going make sure you don't try to move more than say 10 mail boxes at a time. Also make sure that after all the configuration (Forest and Domain prep +ADC) that you give the AD time to replicate before doing any moves.

Hope that helps.

Back to IT Employment Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)