General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

FAX SOFTWARE VISTA PROBLEMS

by ebohling ·

I just bought this new computer with Windows Vista Basic installed a week ago. Now I am running into compatiabilty problems. The scanner Primascan driver for the Colorado 2400u is recognised by Vista but the Windows Photo utility does not recognise the scanner as a photo capture device. MGI photosuite will not work with Vista. Pagis 3.0 will install but has not retained the the Pagis Inbox capability. Further I’ve tried downloading two fax modem utililities off of ZDNET and windows will not install their printer drivers. Fax software used to be all over the place and now it’s not to be found in any of the major chains. Scansoft says it will not create a patch for Pagis. So now the only option is to buy a new visioneer scanner with the PaperPort software . But to have to spring another $169.00 to upgrade to Vista Ultimate seems to be an expensive fix. Any solutions out there?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Don’t shoot the messenger

by techexec2 ·

In reply to FAX SOFTWARE VISTA PROBLEMS

I’m sorry to tell you that Vista is not ready. Vista and 3rd party hardware and software will not be up to the level of Windows XP for at least at year or two.

My recommendation: Buy a copy of Windows XP, erase your hard drive, and install the Windows XP on it. Stay with Windows XP for 12 months or more and you’ll be a lot happer than trying to make Vista work. Then, when you’re ready, upgrade to Vista.

Sorry for the bad news.

————————–

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista – OEM
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116175

Microsoft Windows XP Home Sp2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista – OEM
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116169

Suggest that you try the “Questions” forum.

by deepsand ·

In reply to Don’t shoot the messenger

The “Discussion” forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution.

Post problems such as this to the “Question” forum, rather than the “Discussion” forum. There are those who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution, and that’s where they go to look for such.

Bad Advice, Don’t Follow

by chiefhighliner ·

In reply to Don’t shoot the messenger

It is apparent that any kind of advice which advocates ‘wiping out the hard disc’ and downgrading the operating system is hasty, ill-advised and ignorant instructions. Disregard anyone who tells you to do this, and opt to stay with the operating system that came as part of your system. It might have been true at the time Vista was not fully developed, but that does not justify the one or two weeks required to perform a clean install with an outdated operating system. RKS Fax worked for me the first time, running under Vista SP-1, although programs like this should be free and included as part of Windows’ tools, functionality is key. You get 30 days’ use of the program for free, then the company requires only $20 to purchase the serial number, which you can use to convert the trial version to the full version.

Snappy Fax

by cdagnalmyron ·

Windows Vista Basic doesn’t can’t handle faxes–yes, I was angry about that, too, as were millions of others who had that capacity with XP. But for $29, (free to try), you can download Snappy Fax (Google it, but I think it’s http://www.snappyfax.com), which will let you do what you could do before Vista. Better than spending hundreds to upgrade. I just got it, and it works fine. As for the scanner issues, try driveragent.com and find out what you need. I found the right drivers for my old scanner, and now Vista “sees” it just fine! Good luck! (Yes, you have to pay again, but I’m going to use that site often! It will do the scan for free, and you can usually find the drivers on the manufacturer’s site after the scan identifies what you need.)

Failure of Snappy Fax 4

by alpha87ac ·

In reply to Snappy Fax

Snappy Fax 4 does NOT install on Windows Vista Home Basic the install program gives array errors during the installation followed by faillure to install the printer driver even after following the instructions given relating to the Generic/Text Print driver option

Snappy Fax works on Home Premium

by cdagnalmyron ·

In reply to Failure of Snappy Fax 4

If you go to the Microsoft and other forums on this issue you’ll find that it not only installs…it also works for most folks and has become the alternative of choice. The only problem I’ve had is that I have VOIP, and it doesn’t work any better than standalones with VOIP, unfortunately. But others who have regular land lines connected to their computers have had great success.

Contact the Snappy Fax folks for assistance, they’re really helpful. But I must say I’ve noticed that the majority of those who’ve used it have hit the boards singing its praises. There’s a new alternative in the works from FaxTalk, too, in the last stages of development. It’ll be more expensive, but apparently quite effective. For now…Snappy Fax wins.

RKS Fax

by olaf.t ·

In reply to Snappy Fax

RKS FAX works fine with Vista as well.
        It only costs you 20$!

Lenova

by taj_impex ·

I have also purchased a lenova notebook n100
      loaded with Vista and whenever I try to download anymatter it says it is not possible.I tried to download many progs but no use.
      Even a simple programmed is not downloadable with vista. I feel it is a waste to buy that software. You better switch over to other OS.
      Thanks
      Tajmul.

RKS Fax is the answer

by chiefhighliner ·

This post may be after-the-fact, but there are always some people that find out later rather than sooner Vista does not come standard with an operating fax printer. RKS fax is the answer. It worked for me the first time, the download is only 9MB, and the fax printer was recognized after only one restart. I have a PCIe Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP, and all I needed to do was send a cover sheet to my attorney. I searched all over Vista for a fax printer, but there was none (Vista Basic).

After I downloaded RKS fax, restarted my computer and clicked on the program, my fax was on its way. The user interface is super-clean and attractive, the phone book is much better than Windows XP, and most importantly, it worked. It even gives you updated information while the fax is transmitting–the program always informs you of what it is doing. RKS fax is free for 30 days, and then it’s $20 to buy, and you don’t have to download the program a second time, just enter the purchased serial number. Plus, there are other features I haven’t used yet, but it’s good to know they are available and the latest version is trouble free. I had to find this information on my own, with a lot of patience, so I hope this helps.

Viewing 3 reply threads