General discussion

file locking problem in win 2000 server

By Daniel C. ·
here is my network:
server: Windows 2000 server
workstations: Win XP pro

problem: if I open a quicken data file and proceed to close it, the next time I try to go back, I will get a "file in user" message eventhough no one else is using thatfile.

when I go to server manager, I notice that these files are still "in use". I have to close those resources to free up the files. This happens repeatedly.

I think my users are also experiencing this type of problems with MS Word documents. The bottom line: the server thinks that the files are still in use when they are not.

I have since applied the SP3 patch to my server and rebooted it. The problem remains. All patches are up to date, as far as my quicken and my office XP suite are concerned. Your help is appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Rabbit_Runner In reply to file locking problem in w ...

Hi, This is a common problem with Win2k. Microsoft has built into it a delay of 15 minutes. If a user opens a file, the server keeps the file open till it times out. That is why it is spasmodic. Here is the solution. You will need to do this to all your servers where files are being used.

from a command prompt, type......

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

This will change the autodisconnect to zero time.

Best of luck

Collapse -

by Daniel C. In reply to file locking problem in w ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

The autodisconnect function deals with IDLE connections. In this case, wouldn't turning it off make it so that the server never autodisconnect, and thus aggravating my problem?

Another question: if I have a Word document opened, but do not work on that document, does that constitute an idle connection to the server?

Collapse -

by shmaltz In reply to file locking problem in w ...

The solution that Bugs the Bunny reffers to is for a totaly different Issue. When you have an error of disconnected network drives when you try to use a program that tries to utilize those network drives, and the program thinks it is connectd. Windows as a disconnect time out on network drives. In you case however the problem is with Quicken, that Quicken doesn't close the file (unless you have the same problems with other programs, also the problem might be with the permissions on the file. Make sure you have full NTFS permissions and try closing it and see if the problem is still there. If it is gone than problem has to do with the permissions. A lot of programs require you to have Delete permissions on the file in order to be able to sucssefuly close it). I would recommend going to Intuits web site for a solution.
If however Bugs the Bunny's solustion does help please post it as comment.
Thanks.

Collapse -

Collapse -

Beside quicken files, MS Word documents might also exhibit this behavior.

Collapse -

The user does indeed have full permission. In fact, the user has admin rights.

Collapse -

by Rabbit_Runner In reply to file locking problem in w ...

There is another Registry setting that you may want to try. It has to do with Oplock (Ppportunistic Locking) The article on Microsoft technet is Q296264. I have used this and discovered that the server must be rebooted after the change is made. This change plus the one listed above should create the results you desire.

Let me know. Best of luck.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)