Question

• Creator
    Topic

Find the CMOS battery in a Sony Vaio VGN-FS550 Laptop

by jonathan.clark ·

Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is at in this model? I took off all the back plates, took out the RAM and harddrive. I also took off the keyboard. Is there a short way to find it or do I need to take the entire laptop in pieces? Thanks for the help

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by jonathan.clark ·

In reply to Find the CMOS battery in a Sony Vaio VGN-FS550 Laptop

Clarifications

Try this link & try chatting with a Sony rep…

by ojopere ·

they just tell me to send it in to service

by jonathan.clark ·

In reply to Try this link & try chatting with a Sony rep…

They will not tell me how to locate the CMOS battery. All they will do is repeat “We recommend sending it in to server”

It is out of warranty and do not want to send it in for a simple battery change.

Any ideas where it is located before I go tearing the whole thing apart?

this is a paste of an earlier post by somewone else

by pipegame ·

In reply to they just tell me to send it in to service

The battery in several sony’s I’ve had to service is under the speaker/power switch section above the keyboard. You will see a screw, possibly next to the memory card slot, top left side. Unscrew the single screw, and CAREFULLY slide the top piece over then lift up to remove…but be CAREFUL because there are 2 flat ribbon cables attached to connect the piece to the motherboard. On 3 different sony systems the battery has been under this section. They are ridiculously expensive, so look for a generic replacement or be prepared to fork out at least $25 for a tiny battery.

Sony site sux

by pipegame ·

I wasted about an hour online going back and forth with a sony drone and all they kept saying was we don’t reccommend that you do anything but waste money on repairs and service manuals that should come with the computer. Complete BS

/etc!

by pipegame ·

The phukker would not even tell me the general vicinity of where the baTTERY WAS LOCATED!

Flash RAM

by thechas ·

Most laptops use Flash RAM rather than CMOS for BIOS settings. That way, they don’t need a backup battery.

Saves space and they don’t need to make sure the battery stays in place when a unit is dropped or bumped.

If you are trying to clear a BIOS level password, your options are factory service or hacking web sites.

There are some laptops where they have to change out the Flash memory chip if the BIOS password is lost.

Chas

battery dead

by jonathan.clark ·

In reply to Flash RAM

Actually I called Sony and after some tests they told me the CMOS Battery need to be replaced. I don’t have a Bios Password that needs to be reset. They did some test when I told them my clock kept resetting to 1/1/2000.

I don’t want to pay 200 bucks to replace a battery. If I can’t find out some info in the next few days I will just start taking apart hoping I can get it back together, lol.

Interesting

by thechas ·

In reply to battery dead

That is an interesting detail.

Keep 2 things in mind:

1. The battery might be a unique style and is soldered into the circuit board.

2. The battery might be inside the Real Time Clock or CMOS RAM IC.

Or, better yet, instead of a battery, they might be using a special type of capacitor that is generically referred to as a “Super-Cap”. A super cap is a physically small, but very high value capacitor that can function like a back up battery.

Chas

A Couple of Ideas

by thechas ·

In reply to battery dead

I did a little bit of searching.

I did find a web site that sells RTC batteries for your notebook. Are you setting down?

The exchange price is nearly $80!

The $200 that Sony quoted you might just be a bargain.

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/devicetype-vendor-modelline-modelseries-partlist.aspx?devicetype=0&vendorlevel=3&modelseriescatid=168300&filter=2

I also found an ebay store selling service manuals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Vaio-Laptop-Maintenance-Service-Repair-Manuals_W0QQitemZ150095768233QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3519QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck,

Chas

battery

by techlisa ·

In reply to battery dead

The battery in several sony’s I’ve had to service is under the speaker/power switch section above the keyboard. You will see a screw, possibly next to the memory card slot, top left side. Unscrew the single screw, and CAREFULLY slide the top piece over then lift up to remove…but be CAREFUL because there are 2 flat ribbon cables attached to connect the piece to the motherboard. On 3 different sony systems the battery has been under this section. They are ridiculously expensive, so look for a generic replacement or be prepared to fork out at least $25 for a tiny battery.

thanks for all the information

by jonathan.clark ·

In reply to battery

Thanks for all the information. I am going to look under the speakers tonight, that area is accessed very quickly. I hope it is there, I am going to start taking off the back panel otherwise.

I did read about the possibility of my laptop not using a CMOS battery but since Sony told me that the problem for my laptop was I needed to get the CMOS battery replaced I just assumed it had to have one.

I can’t believe they prices on the batteries, the ones for desktops are like 99cents.

Did it work

by nivasc ·

In reply to thanks for all the information

I was searching the web and found this string, did it work?

I think I have the same issue with a Sony VGN-FE770G laptop.

Issues with Sonys

by gcdimarketing ·

In reply to Did it work

Don’t know about all the other stuff, but am trying to clear CMOS password on a VGN-FJ270. The battery is about as hard to get to as any I’ve found. It is under the motherboard in the corner created by the HDD recess and the RAM compartment. The only way to get to it is to disassemble the entire laptop. Was hoping I could get some input as to whether just pulling the battery and then powering on would clear it but looks like I’ll have to try that on my own.

Viewing 2 reply threads