Question

Formatting Problems in Word 2007

By randacote ·
I am having an annoying problem formatting in Word 2007. When I have selected a certain line of text to bold, underline, insert bullets etc. the ENTIRE section's formatting changes as well as other unrelated text in the document. So if I have a 100 page document - you have to go back and search where these unrequested changes have been made. I am completely starting to loose my trust in this product. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Search for option.....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Formatting Problems in Wo ...

It's not the product. It's your settings.

Look for an edit option turned on to "apply to whole section" instead of "apply to selection".

Collapse -

I have a user with the same problem, any fix yet?

by mblessing In reply to Formatting Problems in Wo ...

I have someone with the same issue. They select a sentence (in Word 2007 SP1 + updates) then select either bold, underline, italics, and it applies to the entire section. I looked through the options but cannot find the fix? I did an uninstall, removed all remaining files from Office 2007, cleaned the registry, reinstalled, and the issue remains. I finally could select all text and "remove formatting" and the behavior would stop, but a new/old document would bring the issue back. Thanks for any help.

Collapse -

Fix for this problem

by EHS consultant In reply to Formatting Problems in Wo ...

In word 2007. Go to home tab. go to styles and click small arrow in bottom RH corner. Box showing styles will appear on RHS of your document. At the bottom are 3 buttons. click the new styles button (LH one). Create new style box appears. At bottom are 4 check boxes. uncheck "automatically update". Fixed.

Collapse -

Formatting problems in Word 2007

by Mikes1024 In reply to Formatting Problems in Wo ...

Yes, I am experiencing the same issue while working on 100 page proposal. Someone suggested that it is an issue with how I am using document styles but I have not been able to figure out what I am doing. if anyone out there knows what is happening, please chime in.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by donna.frano In reply to Formatting problems in Wo ...

It is a STYLE issue. Go check the STYLE you are using in the paper, modify it, and, as EHS Consultant said above, change it by unchecking "automatically update". That should fix the problem. It did for me.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by PurpleSkys In reply to Formatting problems in Wo ...

i would hope Mike figured it out by now, it's been two and a half years

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)