Question

Formatting Windows 2000

By DizzyDog ·
Hi as posted earlier I have lost the user name and password for my windows 2000 professional. The only way out seems to be to format the hard drive. How to go about it? Please help.
Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

1st of all

by Wizard-09 In reply to Formatting Windows 2000

Do you have the windows CD, and do you have the product key for the system before you start to wipe the machine and rebuild it?

Collapse -

Formatting Windows 2000

by Mehul Bhai In reply to Formatting Windows 2000

Depending on the knowledge you may have I feel you shoud call the local hardware engineer to do the same.

Collapse -

You insert the Install CD into the Optical Drive and boot the computer

by OH Smeg In reply to Formatting Windows 2000

If the Computer doesn't boot from the Optical Drive you need to enter the BIOS and set the Boot Order to Floppy First then Optical Drive and finally HDD. Naturally if you do not have a floppy installed move tot he next device. When you have finished Save the Changes as you exit the BIOS and then if prompted to Press Any Key to Boot off the CD you press any key and allow the Windows Setup to proceed. Chose the Repair Option at the second prompt and have your Product Key handy to enter when you are prompted for this.

if you do not have a M$ Branded Install Disc but only a System Makers Recovery Disc you will not get the Repair Option so you really need to obtain a M$ Branded Instill Disc to save any data that you may have here. If this Data Is Not required you can use the Recovery Disc and format the HDD then install the OS and other software that has been Slipstreamed to the Recovery Disc. With Slipstreamed Images you may or may not be required to enter a Product Key to install Windows. Here it depends on who made the Slipstreamed Image but the Product Key should be on a Sticker stuck to the outside of the case made by M$ and called a COA or Certificate of Authenticity.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)