General discussion

from 10/100 to gigabit

By briant28 ·
hello! i've switch our company's old router and switches (10/100) to a gigabit wireless router and switches. we had connection problems that we have to restart the router to get us connected back to the internet. i thought that switching the router and switches to gigabit will help. some of the computers couldn't connect after they shut the computer down and connect the next business day. i've uninstalled and installed back the ethernet card driver but that was a quick fix. the next day, some of the computer won't connect to the internet again. i disabled ipv6 from other computers, after the network connection refreshed, we are back to business. however, it won't connect again after the next business day.

i need your help guys! most of the computers are using cat5 cables and not cat5e cables, will that affect anything? from patch panel to gigabit switch, should it be cat5e and not cat5 cables?

please help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

It should be CAT5E, but in most cases CAT5 will work

by robo_dev In reply to from 10/100 to gigabit

A more likely issue is that GbE uses all eight wires of the cable, therefore you may have jacks where those wires are not punched-down properly and have not been tested/certified.

If you reconfigure a PC to connect at 100MB to one of your new switches, does it work perfectly or not? If the PC works just fine at 100 but not at gigabit, then it's a cabling issue. But, of course, if it's unstable at 100, and the only change is the switch, then likely your new switch is misconfigured or faulty.

The technical issue is that GBe uses a higher frequency, so issues like crosstalk or cable length become more critical. Ideally, with a good professional cable tester like a Fluke LAN Meter, you could validate which of your cat5 data runs are 'good enough' to run GigE and which are not even close.

Collapse -

Re: It should be CAT5E, but in most cases CAT5 will work

by briant28 In reply to It should be CAT5E, but i ...

thanks for the response robo_dev!

just got here in the office and the computer that got disconnected from the router or switch after restart were disconnected again. i have to do the uninstall/install driver for their ethernet card again. this happens to the same computers, the others are fine. some have gigabit ethernet and some are in the 10/100 cards still. i've replaced cat5 cables with cat5e to some computers but still the same result. i googled and found that i need to disable upnp so i did but after restarting the router and computer, i still get disconnected.

Collapse -

i would check your jacks anyway

by danekan In reply to Re: It should be CAT5E, b ...

as robo_dev says, check your jacks that they're punched down properly... but also not only that, check that it's physically correct... I've seen in several offices weird issues of unpredictable network connections and when i went back to the jacks the punch down had 10" of cable unraveled and stupid stuff like that... (it's supposed to be very little cable unraveled to punch it to the jack). Also make sure the cable runs are not being done over fluorescent lights and things like that.

it sounds like you're doing a lot of weird changes that... well, normally wouldn't need to be made. I doubt that disabling IPv6 for example really did anything, I think it was probably a coincidence that it came back after you reloaded your network.

what kind of router and switches are you using? what OS is this?

Collapse -

GigaBit

by ITSavy In reply to from 10/100 to gigabit

Replace them with CAT6 Cables

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)