General discussion

From AS/400 RPG/ILE to ??????

By computer53 ·
Greetings,

I am an unemployed, 25 year veteran of IBM midrange systems, most recently on the AS/400 using RPG/ILE. Because the job market has evaporated for midrange warhorses like me, I am currently considering other IT career paths to pursue with state retraining dollars in hand.

So far, I've looked at MCAD certification (VB expertise apparently required as a prerequisite to even starting the coursework), and the MCSE (employers only seem to want MCSE's with years of networking experience already).

One avenue that seems encouraging is SQL server 2000 with SQL programming expertise. The vast majority of want ads from small businesses I've seen in the paper specify this technology. I am told that the SQL training is also a gateway to eventual MCAD to MCSE certs. I am currently reading several huge technical manuals from the library on VB6 and SQL, and there are training firms in the area that offer SQL training. They offer courses available in configuration, setup, administration, programming in T-SQL, and maintenance.

IT is all I know (and ever done), and I have to eat, so SQL is pretty much my last hope for survival.

Could anyone offer opinions, tips, suggestions, etc? Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

I still see want ads

by gralfus In reply to From AS/400 RPG/ILE to ?? ...

I still see want ads for AS/400 experience. Draft up your resume and check monster.com I spent the last couple of years checking the monster ads, as well as the federal and state ads and remember seeing quite a few looking for IBM experience.

I was going to pursue AIX certification and did well in the classes, but ended up getting a job supporting PCs instead.

Other than that, it can be disheartening entering the IT field now. I was out of work for 2 years and went back to school, which did help in the end. I was told that the difference in my latest interviews was my comfortable attitude, my certs (A+, Net+, CCNA) and degrees (BS in IT, AS in Data Networks and Telecommunication, AS in Network Administration) and 8 years experience. The other interviewee that made the last cut was said to appear really nervous, while I appeared almost over-confident.

Collapse -

Don't give up..

by maecuff In reply to From AS/400 RPG/ILE to ?? ...

Manufacturing has many RPG shops. Search for JDE or JD Edwards World. The RPG jobs are still out there..

Collapse -

CCNA

by z0rtix In reply to From AS/400 RPG/ILE to ?? ...

Heloo Computer53 , i have recived the email describing ur delima , and i cant tell what you think of , but i would recommend that you take CCNA ( Cisco Certified Network Assocate ) , it helps alot , i know ppl that didnt even get into universites and managed to get great jobs thanks to this Cert. .

I Hope you consider it

Yours
Z0rtix

Collapse -

TSQL dying DTS, XML

by flst In reply to From AS/400 RPG/ILE to ?? ...

With the release of the next SQL Server (Yukon) next year .NET is built-in so you won't need TSQL. In a few years everyone will upgrade for security reasons and TSQL will fade into history. Concentrate on DTS, XML, and .NET web services. There are jobs in the SE US for experienced SQL database admins, Oracle and SQL Server but MS is gaining fast. Hundreds of RPG programmers in JAX are re-training or retiring as insurers replace old iron to reduce costs. You are correct, there are no permanent jobs left in that older technology.

Collapse -

AS/400 professional

by g8day In reply to From AS/400 RPG/ILE to ?? ...

I think you should stick with what you know and add to it. Start taking JAVA classes and any other crossover programs from Windows/Internet platforms to the AS/400. The AS/400 is not a dying breed. There are plenty of AS/400's out there. The AS/400 is a wonderful system. I manage 3 of them.

Collapse -

Check out your original AS/400 thread

by Jay Garmon Contributor In reply to From AS/400 RPG/ILE to ?? ...

Hey computer53!

Your original thread on this topic is going strong. Here's the link (beware of inserted spaces):
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=153300&start=0

Back to IT Employment Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)