General discussion

Frontpage 2000 server time's out error

By Shanghai Sam ·
HI!
I have a coworker that teaches FrontPage 2000. Each student in her FrontPage class has a personal folder on a Windows 2000 Server to store anything they are working on. We don't allow them to save anything to the local drive. Here is the problem. When the students try to create a web and save it to their personal work space, they receive an error stating that the server has timed out. It finishes the process, but does not create the Web. IIS 5.0 is installed on the Windows 2000 server with the server extensions. The students can create their webs to a floppy, but that takes half the class time just to do. A work-around was to allow them to save to a folder on the local drive. That works fine, but again, I don't want the students saving to the local drive. I did a full install from Office 2000 Premium CDs to the local machines. This is becomming very frustrating. Any ideas???? Thanks in Advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

31 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

1)Server properties-The property provided by the Server is Script Timeout,which basically provides a page with the means for extending the default script timeout.You may want to set the default time out to be longer than is set to execute.
2)Timeout property allows an ASP application to set length of time an ASP session will be allowed to stay idle before being terminated.Timeout enables a page to extend or reduce the default session timeout for 20 minutes.
The last part of your question is that the site is expierencing difficulties and has some problems at the server.

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

Thank you for your answer. Where do I adjust the timeout properties function. Your alias is not listed or invisible, so thanks whoever you are!!!!

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

the previous answer was submitted by soulrider,hopefully it could be helpful

Collapse -

by ARG CIO In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

Make sure all of your users have an account on your server. If they don't have lan access, they can't publish to the web server. Check the IIS properties of each of the "sites", and make sure the users are set as "operators".

Collapse -

by zendeath In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

Have you check out to see if they have anough space allocated to them on the server, like 1mb per user folder.
or have you tried mapping a network drive and saving to the maped drive.
check out the registry on one of the work staions check connectors witch port or were is is publishing to.

Collapse -

by Leizure. . . In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

Do your students 'publish' or save their work to the server?
If they are just saving then perhaps you have the wrong approach to your problem!
Ceate a folder for each user on the server and map a drive letter to it, you should then be able to treat it just like a local drive.
Hope this helps
Dave. . .

Collapse -

by davedel In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

After you have the Web set up on the server with the server extentions you will need to grant the users permission to author/browse the web site from with-in Frontpage. From Front Page open the WEB, with admin permissions, got-to tools--security andadd the users to the web.
Dave,,

Collapse -

by jmstitt In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

Well, It has been 30 days since I have first posted. I have had many good suggestions, but none have worked. Here is some more information. I have uninstalled IIS5.0 from the server. I am just using the server as storage for student files. Whena student logs in at a workstation, the login script gives them a mapped drive to their personal directory EX:(net use t: /home). Frontpage still times out when creating a Web to that mapped drive. The student can create the Web to the local driveor a floppy. After Frontpage creates the Web to the local drive of floppy, the files then can be copied to their personal directory. Just can't get it to create the Web automatically to their personal directory - Thanks for any suggestions.

Collapse -

by rvkempen In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

You might like to check your DNS settings.
If you are working with w2000 domains, the dns must point to one of the dc's.
On the domain controller you can decide if the dns server also will be used as a forwarding dns server.
If youre primairy dnsserver is on the internet, the client wil first try to resolve your servers name on the internet, and when this failes, it will check through wins (when this is enabled on the server this might work, but ofcourse this is very slow).
Ofcourse you should always try to take away the problem, and not set time out values higher.

Hope to have helped you out.

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Frontpage 2000 server tim ...

Extension to answer#1
Open Regedit32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/currentcontrolset/services/w3svc/parameters/scripttimeout

Back to Windows Forum
31 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next

Operating Systems Forums