General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

FTP Virtual Directories

by paul.lipscombe ·

I have an FTP server (IIS4 and anon access is off) running on machine A.

I would like this FTP site to publish a section of the file system from Machine B. No problem!

I create a virtual directory on A, point it at the resoucre on B, supply aName and Password to connect as.

Now anyone who accesses this directory gets the permissions of the name and password I specified during the creation of the virtual directory.

What I need is for the user who has logged in to have their permissions as specified by NTFS.

Machine A is not a domain controller, but Machine B is. Both machines are in the same domain, and have NT4, SP5 installed.

Paul Lipscombe

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

FTP Virtual Directories

by nrodriguez ·

In reply to FTP Virtual Directories

this shouldn’t be a problem. to do. Remember you have to point the virtual directory on a to b.

BUTTTTTT, make sure!!!!!! that this is a BDC. If it is a member server, it will create two SAM databases. Don’t ask I just regergitate what i haveseen. If your computer is a member, reinstall to a BDC. THis will save a world of hurt. (willing to bet if this isn’t working it is b/c you have a member server and not a bdc) when you want to ntfs permissions, you want to use the SAM database from pdc. Otherwise installation is real tricky.

remember, if you have script files on pdc, replicate them or copy and paste them to the bdc or else they won’t work

hope this works!!

FTP Virtual Directories

by guy ·

My suggestion would be to ask all users to logon to the ftp server using their NT Name and Password, then you could control them with the NTFS permissions, meanwhile the anonymous user, or the Guests Group could be denied access.
      This would certainly work if they FTPed in from the Dos Prompt, but I have not tested what would happen if they use a Browser. Hopefully they would be asked for a name and password.

FTP Virtual Directories

by paul.lipscombe ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 2 reply threads