General discussion

General 2000 & Exchange 5.5 question

By cybercity ·
(1) Can I have more than 1 subnet in the same W2K Domain?

(2) I have a MS Exchange 5.5 running in NT4 Domain, can I setup another Exchange 5.5 server in W2K Domain with the same server name? Is there any problems if I configure the IMS to connectto the same domain name (e.g. xxxxxx.com)?

(3) After running W2K ADMT (active directory migration tool), both NT4 & W2K domain are both up & running. After this, do I upgrade NT4 PDC and the rest of BDCs & join the new W2K domain (native mode) inorder?

Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rhernand In reply to General 2000 & Exchange 5 ...

(1) yes
(2) No, you cannot have two servers with the same name. Reserve your .com for Intranet
(3)To capture your Domain accounts from NT 4.0 you need to up-grade the domain in-place. Using ADMT works but you would have to migrate the e-mail using exmerge or other method.
Upgrade-in Place, Intall an exchange 2000 in your excisting site and move the mailboxes from the ex 5 to ex2000 or install an ADC and manage both servers at the same time.

Collapse -

by cybercity In reply to General 2000 & Exchange 5 ...

(2) Do you mean I can't have the same exchange server name in two different domains (they both are running in parallel)?

(3) I have done the W2K migration, now both NT4 & W2K domains are up & running. I am going to move the Exchange server 5.5 over to a W2K server, do I still need to use ADMT to migrate Exchange directory? What is the purpose of doing that

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)