General discussion

General Windows 2000

By jshamraj ·
What is the trick for making Windows Explorer hilight the "copy to" folder when using "drag and drop" to copy or move files??? If I drag a file or folder from the right side of the explorer window into a floder in the left pane, using the right mouse button, then release, the "context menu" pops up, and I can either copy or move the file into the folder in the left pane. The problem is that on some of my machines, the folder being copied to stays "selected" when I release the right mouse button, so I can double-check to make sure I've got the right "target" folder. On other machines, the "target" folder is de-selected when the button is released.

When the "target" folder is deselected, it's hard to be sure that you are copying or moving to the correct folder, since there is no visual clue. When the "target" remains selected after the button is released, it's a lot easier to avoid mistakes.

Is there a registry setting that changes the behavior of Windows Explorer when the right mouse button is released, and the context menu pops up???

Thanks, John Shamraj

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

General Windows 2000

by Raelz In reply to General Windows 2000

I really don't think there is a setting to inhibit the behavior of the copy function using the right-mouse button. I've actually checked around, and tried on several of my machines, and they all act the same way.

There really isn't any good answer for this, just make sure you copy to the right folder, it DOES highlight when you initially do the drag-and-drop, but not after, that's all.

Collapse -

General Windows 2000

by jshamraj In reply to General Windows 2000

I have tried this on several win 98 machines, 3 win XP machines, and 4 or 5 win 2000 machines. They do not all act the same. I have 2 dual-boot win xp/win 2000 machines, and both of them exhibit the "deselect target folder" behavior in win XP, and the "target folder remains selected" in win 2000. I have also experienced at least one situation, I think more than one, where the behavior changes after a re-install of the operating system (reinstall due to having some problems with system.) Ihave never seen a case where the behvior changes without either a re-install, or installation of a bad driver or program which subsequently let to serious problems. I think there has to be a setting that controls this, since I have seen it change when Operating System is re-installed. The trick is to find the setting.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)