Discussions

Discussion on:

Get Parental Control off my PC

Message 19 of 39

View entire thread
+
1 Votes
glen.harris

If you look at the bottom of the blocked-website.com you'll see that it is one of their pages.
There are a few of routes you can take from here.
Method A would be to create your own openDNS account and attach your public IP to it and turn off filtering. You can do this by visiting their site https://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/ and signing up for the opendns home (not the vip) option.
I guess you'll automatically then be signed in (I signed up many years ago). Click Dashboard (near the top) and then settings. You should be able to add your public IP as one of YOUR networks (your IP will be shown at the very top of the page, white text on grey background).
You can then choose your network in the "settings for" dropdown. Here you can choose your level of filtering including an option for 'None'. Once this is set it'll take effect on all of their servers in less than 10 minutes.
You'll need to clear your dns cache as the computer remembers where to send traffic destined for a specific domain name. This is easier to do than it sounds, just type "ipconfig /flushdns", without the quotation marks, into either the run box (win key + R) or command prompt.
Method B: Ask google "what is my IP address". Just below the search box it'll tell you "your public ip address is .....". Write down the IP address. Switch off your router for at least half an hour, or better still before you go to bed. Hopefully it'll drop your current IP address and pick up a different one once switched back on. Ask google what your IP address is again and hopefully it'll have changed. If it has your problem should have gone away, if it hasn't, you'll have to use a different method.
Plan C, Part 1: Here goes. This will involve getting rid of open DNS. The setting could be in one of a couple of places. If it is in your Windows configuration you can sort of follow the instructions on this website. http://itservices.stanford.edu/service/ess/pc/docs/ethernet/wxp/dns . If it is configured here, when you get to step 6 you'll see 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 entered as the DNS IPs. If they aren't there, don't bother going any further, If they are, change the settings to "obtain dns settings automatically" or enter the IPs of another service (google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). You don't need to go any further than step 6 on that page.
Plan C, Part 2: If nothing so far has worked, we're down to configuring the router. This is where my instructions will get really patchy as this will vary between manufacturers and models. Typically you can get to the router settings by typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into your browser. If these fail type "ipconfig" into the command line and look for the numbers next to default gateway. This will be the IP you need to type into the browser.
Hunt around for the DNS settings and change them to the google ones (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4). You may need to do some research on your model of router for the default passwords etc.

Good luck & please do let us know how you get on.
G