Discussions

Discussion on:

Get Parental Control off my PC

Message 31 of 39

View entire thread
+
1 Votes
Ocie3

A previous response included ".... Switch off your router for at least half an hour, or better still before you go to bed. Hopefully it'll drop your current IP address and pick up a different one once switched back on. ...."

In my experience with three different cable-broadband ISPs, powering-off the router does not cause the ISP's DHCP server to assign a different Internet IP address. Power-off the "broadband modem" instead, i.e., the device to which the coaxial cable is connected from the service outlet (usually in a wall), and leave it off for about 5 minutes. (If it doesn't have an on/off button, just unplug it from the electrical outlet to which it is connected.) In order to regain connectivity, probably you must power-off the router, too, then turn it on again after you restore power to the "broadband modem".

Note: there is no guarantee that the DHCP server will assign a different IP address, insofar as it might "randomly" assign the one that your device had previously. IP addresses are typically chosen from a pool of pre-assigned addresses for the cable "node" from which service is provided. Usually the node is shared among 16 - 32 subscribers, so the node's pool has 16 - 32 IP addresses allocated to it. In effect, the DHCP server sees the "broadband modem" as the device to which the Internet IP address is assigned.