General discussion

Group Policies using Win2000 server

By Ryu98 ·
Hi, i work for a school district and we are trying to implement group policies for the users especially for the students since teachers they don't want for students to change screensavers, install programs, use the win media player.. change desktop background. those are some examples what are they want me to do. I'm new at group policies i try to setup a policy on the server but when i login at the workstation the policy doesn't apply so i don't know what i'm doing wrong. Can any one help me find information or provide me with some examples of setting group policies at the server please.

Thanks in advance..

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Group Policies using Win2 ...

well there are some ways to do what you want to do. First would be to create a security account like students to use [which is a domain user account with limited privileges ] and all students who log in use that account. then make that profile a mandatory profile. that way no matter what they do, nothing will be changed on the desktop. next if this is a lab, and you have students log in under a generic account like studentt, might be best to create a group policy for the computers. you collect all the computers you want the GP to apply to in a OU. you create the GPO that you want the computers to have such as desktop look , hide or blank out control panel, display browswer settings, media player, etc the apply that GPO to the OU. Then that OU applies to the computer. Therefore anyone logging on to that computer will get those settings.

You can also do the same procedure but instead of collecting computers into the OU you collect users [or the security group student you created that students will use to log in] and apply the GPO to the OU.

Then you have to use the GP refresh command either SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE for computers or SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY / ENFORCE for users

Collapse -

by Ryu98 In reply to

I have a question where do i run SECEDIT from? from the server or from the client.. also do you know any site or tutorial that would show me how to do this.. Do you know anything about the GPUpdate command.. I used the secedit command on the server and nothing happens at the user also i run it while the user logs in and nothing happens either so i don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks for you help

Collapse -

by bkajesh In reply to Group Policies using Win2 ...

Make sure your clint os is NT vertion

Collapse -

by Ryu98 In reply to

the client os is winxp and i know that you can deploy gp
using win2k server and winxp as client
thanks any way..

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Group Policies using Win2 ...

to create a Group Policy Object, you use the GP MMC snap in. click start, run, type in MMC click ok. With the MMC open click file add/remove snap in. with the add/remove properties open choose add. from the add/remove snap in dialog box, scroll down and choose group policy. click add. next click browse and choose your domain OU that the GPO will apply to. click finish. You'll see the GPO in the small console root window. expand the domain policy, expand either computer configuration or user configuration. create the settings you want. once you have to GPO configured you save the GPO with a name like student GPO.

to immediately apply the GP at click run type in SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE for computers or SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY USER_POLICY / ENFORCE for users and click ok.

You must create the GPO in author mode.

heres a link to the microsoft help and support site KB white paper administering Group Policy by the GP management console.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

default group policy refresh interval is about 90 minutes. + or - 30 minutes. here's a KB article on GP refresh intervals and changing them with a registry edit. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q203607/

heres the link to the KB white paper on administering GP which didn't get into the suggestion above

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818735

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

remember you have to link the created GPO with an AD object such as an OU otherwise its just a template. GP is processed in this sequence. local site domain and OU.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)