General discussion

Guitar Hero Material

By JamesRL ·
If you read Jay's blogs, you might have seen the fact that I took my son to an event called Fan Expo - in fact you can see the whole list of pictures I took, if you follow the links in the blog.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=906

Some of the pics depict a Guitar Hero contest held at the event which held my interest for some time.

If you haven't seen Guitar Hero, what hole have you been hiding in? Its a console game (PS2/XBox) where you hold a guitar like controller and play lead guitar. You score points for accuracy and difficulty. In the competition I was at they had human judges, and added a shownmanship scoring catagory as well.

But my challenge with Guitar Hero is the Heavy Metal bias in song selection(and 80s emphasis).

Coincidentally, I've recently been buying up collection CDs at bargoon prices and ripping them for my own and my kids MP3 players. I'm currently listening alot to my Styx collection.

This set my mind to think about "Guitar Hero" and two songs on the Styx collection stand out as excellent "Guitar Hero" material, namely "Blue Collar Man" and "Renegade".

Now I am guessing that some of our favorites don't make Guitar Hero because of licensing, and as I said before, there is a bias towards more recent stuff.

If all of that were removed, what would your pics be for classic "Guitar Hero" material?

Immediately "Smoke on the water" by Deep Purple comes to my mind.

James

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

41 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

First to mind

by Tig2 In reply to Guitar Hero Material

Classical Gas. Heard it on the radio the other day. A beautifully intricate piece of music!

Collapse -

Different direction

by JamesRL In reply to First to mind

I know the piece, never thought of an acoustic piece for Guitar Hero.

Mid 70s.....

If you like that, do you have Tubular Bells? I have both the original and the orchestral remake. Mike Oldfield can certainly play guitar, but too many effect pedals for Guitar Hero methinks, and too many long non guitar sections.

James

Collapse -

Figured I was headed for left field

by Tig2 In reply to Different direction

I love acoustic guitar and am essentially clueless about any other style. But love Classical Gas.

I've not heard of Tubular Bells. A gap in my education, sounds like. I shall have to fix that.

If you like good acoustic, I picked up a CD by a local performer. Getting permission from the artist to send would be no problem- he is a friend's uncle and doesn't record under a label. Really wonderful music!

Collapse -

Tubular Bells

by JamesRL In reply to Figured I was headed for ...

What got many of us to listen to Tubular Bells is that fact that some of it was used for mood music in the "Exorcist" movie - the opening section of the album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells

I would suggest its a more interesting and significant piece of music than Classical Gas, but you have to be open minded about it - it is an album with two tracks, and the track meanders and changes all over. You can listen to it oevr and over again and pick up something new every time. I recommend the original version to start.

James

My youngest is creeped out by one section even though she has no idea what the "Exorcist" is.

Collapse -

Thanks for the link!

by Tig2 In reply to Tubular Bells

I will certainly follow that up.

I find music in general intriguing because of all the ways it can be interpreted. The best example I have ever heard of this is Pink Floyd's "The Wall" as performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

I vaguely recall the music from the Exorcist. Off to chase a link.

Collapse -

I have

by maecuff In reply to Tubular Bells

tubular bells as a ring tone on my cell.

Collapse -

But...

by JamesRL In reply to I have

Can you turn your head around 360 degrees?

James

Collapse -

It's happened

by maecuff In reply to But...

But I was REALLY mad.

Collapse -

GHII uses Heart's "Crazy on You"...

by sMoRTy71 In reply to Different direction

which has a pretty tough acoustic intro, especially on Expert difficulty.

GHIII is supposed to feature The Charlie Daniels Band's "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" as the finale. Players will try to match the violin/fiddle parts.

Collapse -

Have you checked out "Rock Band"?

by JamesRL In reply to GHII uses Heart's "Crazy ...

It is a similar idea, but with guitar(s), drums and vocals. Featured in this month's "Wired" magazine.

The net of it is that some bands will be releasing whole albums to the game. Some are even re-recording for the game.

Will this make up for losses of sales due to MP3s? Probably not, but it is an interesting note for the music industry.

James

Back to Storage Forum
41 total posts (Page 1 of 5)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next

Hardware Forums