General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

harddisk of internet-pc is completely fu

by europanorama ·

only 11 mb can be seen on customers 1.2 gb- winme-internet pentium 200. i ws searching for downloaded files(video or whatever) without much success.i have tried all video-endings which irfanview can handle. i cannot find any data which i could delete. of course i will reset-make new setup. but before formatting i would like to see where the ennemies are hidden.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by dmiles ·

In reply to harddisk of internet-pc is completely fu

Use Find,File and Folders to search the drive using wild card chartacter *.txt for exmple or check the directory C:\Windows
      Then you can also run maintenance to delete temp files and other unneeded files

by thechas ·

Hi Michael,

Make sure that the option to view hidden and system files is enabled in Windows Explorer view option.

Start with the following folders:
      C:\Windows\Temp
      C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

I would also delete fast find files inthe root folder of the drive. ffa*.*
      And, any backup copies of Autoexec and Config.sys

Next, check the Outlook Express mail files for all user profiles.
      You may need to compress or backup their mail files.

Then, install and run either AdAware (www.lavasoft.de)
      Or Spybot Search and Destroy
      http://security.kolla.de/

It might also be worth looking for duplicate installations of programs.

Chas

by europanorama ·

he has done this “job” within one day surfin..

i need not try to install spybot and adaware with 11 mb space. i know the advantages of these two.

i need to check for huge files. i have checked temp and temp internet…

i will retry.

by cg it ·

Michael, if I remember right you usually install & run Norton Systemworks. If you do, use the clean sweep feature to look for active x, plug ins, internet temp files, cookies, and so forth. delete these that aren’t needed. What appears to be happening is that whomever is surfing is allowing cookies to be placed and has done ALOT of web surfing. I myself can accumulate 60 MB or more in temp/cookies in a couple of days of heavy web use. remember WME will use about 500MB [more if all patches/hotfixes/service packs are installed] not to mention other software programs. 1.2 GB is an awfully small drive and any video files/MPEG/JPEG/ files will chew up space quickly. If your customer is saving MPEG/JPEG/GIF pictures and music, they ought to consider a larger drive.

by europanorama ·

he has made ths within hours or two days and i did not find any videofiles, searched for all endings connected to irfanview-videofiles. i cant imagine he has downloaded huge jepg-files. we will see soon.

by drinkin and thinkin ·

Does this machine have AOL Instant Messenger installed?

by saihib ·

Do a search for *.* This will pull up every file on the machine. Sort them by size and you’ll know where the big files are.

by psalm91dm ·

To help you with Answer #5:
      When you do your search and get your results, in the columns on the right where it has NAME SIZE TYPE MODIFIED click on the word SIZE twice until you see the bigger numbers at the top and that is where your large files are. Careful what you delete though.

by europanorama ·

i could delete a lot of 1kb-files(verkn?pfungen i still dont know this german word in english). i dont know how they were saved and why they used so much space. these accuumulated files were hardly some mbs. i could open 370mb. i had 75 mb before.
      i had some troubles with aol on a win98se-machine of a client. it blocked internet access, but this was not identical to this problem. i will anyhow check for the aol-issue. i have run adaware(one light-version is free) and spybot(free). keep in mind: my client surfed a lot. at a later stage we installed firewall.

adaware detected nothing at all! be aware of the free version, running it alone. then i run spybot(full free version), cooul detect a lot of enemies not detected by adaware. this procedure(first adaware, then spybot is also safer since adaware could detect some spybot-files which are saved(but safe). -but one thing did not work properly: new protection of ie-start-site. i had deactivated firewall(mc affee), no antivirus. when i went to install spybot.at the next internet-start, start-up-page had been changed although new protection was activated. maybe invader was just waiting and slipped through.
      i cannot produce a startdisk. system is asking for aspi2dos.sys. i will have to reinstall winme.

by pesk, mbcs, mcse, mcitp, sts ·

I have had this problem before and it turned out to be a worm. I would suggest using a different type of anti-virus software than what you already have (if you do have one) and make sure that all the updates are current.

The best way to know if you do have virus infestation is mostly, as you have found out, the HDD space goes from ‘skyscraper’ to ‘bunker’ in no time, and also, the size of certain system files especially explorer.exe balloon to extraordinary size like 1Gb or thousands of Mbs.If the explorer.exe is extremely big, the infestation will be far advanced and the only thing may be a re-install.

I used Norton Anti-virus Corporate Edition with the latest updates (liveupdate.symantec.com) and this found over 74 worm infestations of 7 different worms in a similar PC as the one you describe.

by europanorama ·

i am sure there were or still are worms on the system. i had some troubles using/installing norton antivirus.i dont remember why. thats why i installed only mc affee firewall.

i could delete some ties to the internet and there is 370 mb free space(from 75 mb).

i will keep you informed when i have scanned the hdd. i will change from 1,2 to 3 gb. it would be wise installing and updating nsworks on new drive and scan old drive from there, otherwise its useless running nsworks/antivirus from cd. maybe it would be interesting running this drive alone on a system with nsworks-cd.

by funinalaska ·

Lots of answers but no one told you that the Internet folder has a limited space alloted to it, you should increase the file. Also the cache file can get too big and you cannot access anything on the Internet.
      Using Windows Explorer, check under the Browser you are using, go to Properties to see the alloted space. Change it to a higher setting. Also can be done when Browser is open, under Tool Bar, Options. Then go to Find, files or folder, go by date, enter one day after getting on Internet,find the cache file, open it in WordPad, and start deleting strings of symbols and words from the top, delete at least half of the files. This area logs in everywhere you have been, and is seldom deleted until you cannot download anything from the internet.
      Hope this helps.

by funinalaska ·

You can increase the space, however, if you do not delete all Temp Internet files before accessing the web each day they will build up. For instance, I have checked delete Temp Internet on closing, along with cookies. The files are still there.
        When I open Windows Explorer, Drive C, Windows Folder to Cookies there they all sit, Edit Select All, Index file must be un-selected to delete folder. Then going to Temporary Internet Folder I see the files still there, Edit, Select All, Delete. Then under that Folder is a plus sign, if you open that there might be hidden files. On my machine I have to go to each folder and keep all the files named Index, and the Application files, and delete everything else. First time I did this I couldn’t believe all the hidden useless files there.
        The cache files are harder to delete. After being on the Interenet go to Start, Find, Files and Folders, Use the Date Tab and select only the date you were last on. It will list every folder accessed while onthe net. You will see lots of cache folders, can be opened in Word Pad, however, do not check “always open as” or the file will only open in Word pad. When opened there are strings of files that happened while you were connected to the modem. I start where the first files are listed, in mine at the beginning. I start dragging the mouse and deleting files. For some reason, you have to leave some files in there and cannot delete them all. I do not know why, I tried it and crashed the file. So leave about one quarter of the files in there. I do this cleaning once a month. The cache files fill up rapidly. I am sure somewhere on Microsoft Knowledge base they have more info on deleting cache files, and someone reading this will probably tell you where to go, or you could search there yourself.
        Start, Accessory, System Tools, Drive space compresses files.
        Does this help?
        Kim

by europanorama ·

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

by europanorama ·

funinalaska:

should i increase the space allocated to temporary internet files? here on this machine its 35mb. and simply delete the cache files?
      your tips are good-minded but not precise enough.

by europanorama ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 12 reply threads