General discussion

Hardware not supported -Win2000 Pro

By amberii ·
Just installed Win2000 Pro and I have several items not supported without "additional files"
They don't say which files..1)Modem-Motorola SM56 Speakerphone (not on their list)2) Multi-function adapters - ALS4000 PCI Multimedia Device 3) Network Adapters- D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter
4) Printers - WinFax & WinFax (Photo Quality) & Brother HL-1240 Series 5) Sound, video and game controllers - ASL4000 Audi Device (WDM) & ASL 4000 Game Port..I tried reinstalling the adapter with the original disks..the exclaimation mark is now off in device manager, but it still doesn't work - tried a couple other modems on their list, but all to no avail....Also Norton Anti-Virus not supported...is there a download to help this or will I have to purchasean Anti-virus that will work...Also said to reinstakk Microsoft Outlook 2000..it was part of the startup folder after install, but when I rebooted the install was to start automatically...it asked for my Office 2000, but wouldn't take it..said omint.dll missing. I'll check on the ListDLL program for that, but I'll check in at work for any answers to this (work computer)
Any suggestions...I'll go to each of the web pages for each device, but I'm spending LOTS of time trying to find out WHICH additional files I need on the list of 5 hardware listed above.
Thanks, Amber

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Hardware not supported -W ...

Start by downloading and installing the latest W2K drivers for the mother board / chipset on the system. (This may fix the not finding the file on the Office CD)

Then, go to each hardware device mfgs web page, and download there latest W2K driver. If they do not offer a W2K driver, you may need to replace that device.

Once you get the modem running, you need to install selected OS updates from Microsoft.
Perhaps, even order the service pak CD.

More and more software installs in an OS version specific mode.
That is, they install different files, or different versions of files dependant on what OS you are running.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to perform "upgrade" installations of Operating Systems.
That is why, it is generally recommended to perform a "clean" install of any new version of the OS.

Chas

Collapse -

by amberii In reply to Hardware not supported -W ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by dcosgrove In reply to Hardware not supported -W ...

before installing any multimedia dvices you should install the latest service pack for W2K. It's available from MS or almost every other download site. I think 2000 is up to SP2A.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)