General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Harrassment by Power User SanteeWelding

by jadavis9 ·

Well, another site issue! I saw dups of my SanteeWelding Harrassment posting displayed at the top of this Discussion, so I Edited the 2nd Posting and titled my edit Dup Erased. Then when I hit the Save button and then the Refresh button on my IE, my edited stuff had now replaced the original posting. So now it is all gone! Oh, great! There have been 120 replies and the original item is gone. Come on TechRepublic …. your new site has some serious issues and needs to be fixed! I think that us “users” really appreciate having this site, but this shouldn’t have happened. It has ruined this Discussion forever (I think!)

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Grab youself a dictionary and fight back

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Harrassment by Power User SanteeWelding

A thesaurus would be good, too.

I checked back over your posts and he has been giving you a hard time but, then, perhaps you might deserve some of it.

Most of us can recognise when a question poster has reached the extent of his talents and expertise and we’ll gladly pitch in if we can help. You’ve posted twenty or so questions in the last couple of months and we are *all* are becoming suspicious that you’re not quite putting the effort that you might into answering them yourself.

For some reason, this has annoyed santeewelding, who has appointed himself as your scourge and goad.

Obviously, from this thread, the “scourge” is working whereas success of the “goad” would be a better outcome.

Neil 🙂

He gets us all at one time or another.

I’d better not mention god else I’ll be on the receiving end of another santeeslap (TM).

Oh, God, check the commas!

TR does not have an ignore function . . . . .

by maxwell edison ·

….. but people do. My best suggestion is that you use yours.

P.S. Without looking into the history of your questions, I assume you’re marking most, if not all, answers as helpful, giving those who attempt to help the coveted [i]thumbs up[/i]. If not, you should.

None of the posts I saw have a thumbs up

by juanita marquez ·

In reply to TR does not have an ignore function . . . . .

So you might have something there. People and animals both work on the reward system, so yeah, if we are fixing stuff, we should have our thumbs up tasty treat thrown to us as well.

I thought of that…

by ansugisalas ·

But, nah! That’d be insane. :p

Rite of Passage

by oldbaritone ·

Being flamed by Santee is just one of the progressive steps on TR.

If he hasn’t noticed you, and flamed you at least once, you’re still a noob.

🙂

I’m not sure if he tried to flame me yesterday or not….

by darryl~ ·

In reply to Rite of Passage

It’s sometimes kinda hard to tell with Santee….I just told him it would take someone a lot nastier than him to get me going.
          😀

After reviewing your Questions, I have to agree.

by charliespencer ·

I respect many of santee’s positions as expressed in the Discussions forum.

However, people posting in the Questions forum aren’t looking for a debate or a vocabulary lesson; they’re looking for help. I agree with his recommendation that a basic Windows class would benefit you (or at least several sessions with tutorials available in the Windows Help menu), but his hostile approach isn’t likely to encourage you to follow his advice.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=333181&messageID=3321833

Some of his other replies have ranged from useless to insulting, about as helpful as an ‘RTFB’.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=332505&messageID=3314021&tag=content;leftCol

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=332130&messageID=3312894&tag=content;leftCol

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=332130&messageID=3314172&tag=content;leftCol

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=331430&messageID=3300887

You’ve asked him to ignore your questions, and I’m unsure why he finds this reasonable request to be unsavory. All I can do is recommend you ignore him and continue hitting the spam button.

Agreed

by juanita marquez ·

In reply to After reviewing your Questions, I have to agree.

And don’t be put off by the few trolls that live here – the majority of TR is a community of nice people. Granted, most of it is by techs, for techs – not people’s free GeekSquad – so a few less-than-friendlys might go the “a n00b! insult him!” route. Not saying that’s acceptable, just warning you.

There are a few posters that I don’t even bother to open their responses most of the time because the good content is outweighed by the nastiness – and he’s one of them. I don’t see the point. So don’t think it’s just you, some people just can’t be nice.

The way to get a bug-free environment…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Agreed

…is to document them bugs in featureens!

Somebody should make a rogues’ gallery for TR. Put in the zoological shakedown on the resident ronkedoors and other creatures. Right down to the preferred diet, handling instructions and dart-gun sedative dosage recommendations.

I dunno…

by juanita marquez ·

In reply to The way to get a bug-free environment…

…glorifying the trolls is not the way to go. If someone has worthwhile content, they should float to the top on their own merits, not their notoriety or frequency of posting. But that’s me, I don’t put up with bs, no matter how candy-coated or “fun” it may seem. That is why I don’t get along with everyone, but I darned well try to. 🙂

Trolls…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to I dunno…

One problem is that it’s impossible to tell who is a troll and who isn’t… untill they attack. Also who is only a troll when there’s a full moon out.

Maybe an ear-tag? Or a disclaimer, force-posted to the end of each message : “Please take this person’s posts with a grain of salt, as this person has previously engaged in trollery.”

The people asking questions might be on their first visit, and it might be the last too, if they get the rough end of the stick without warning.

So a troll is anyone who argues with you then?

by oz_media ·

In reply to Trolls…

But for someone else who welcomes such debate it is not trolling, but then THEY become a troll too for welcoming it, so then you have two trolls trolling each other?

Trolling is just that ‘trolling’ don’t think of ugly men under a bridge, that’s a completely different meaning of troll.

Trolling is dragging a line in the water to see what if fouls. In this case trolling is like dragging an argument magnet through a forum seeking argument. Santee is being very direct and forward in his commentary and sticking around to add to them, NOT TROLLING.

Troll!!!

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to So a troll is anyone who argues with you then?

Track and trace… who called troll? Not I. I merely referenced the term already on-table.

You’ll find that I code-switch a lot. I speak what is being spoken at me, so I can examine both speaker and the thing spoken.

Like, if I now speak of people being dicks, it would still be your choice of words, and I can reference that as I must, to keep talking in the track you started.

Me, personally, I’m not even rattled by death threats. And I call no-one troll as an insult.
          And don’t whine at me, just because I called you to order. You weren’t arguing with me, remember? :p

You, Juanita

by santeewelding ·

In reply to I dunno…

Expose yourself.

That one word — “worthwhile”, floating out there alone — reveals your naked Promotion of Public Virtue and Suppression of Vice.

The “should” underlines it.

Please, go put some clothes on, before [b]santeewelding[/b] calls attention to your notoriety.

LOL

by oz_media ·

In reply to You, Juanita

It is diaphanous to all but the most blind. No need to point, that’s rude.

Sidebar – Ronkedoors?

by charliespencer ·

My initial search produced some book titles but nothing specific. Are they some fictional boojums I’m unaware of, or did you coin the term for our benefit?

It’s supposedly dutch

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Sidebar – Ronkedoors?

Meaning, supposedly, “elephant living solitarily” or “braggart” or “flying fish”.

Supposedly from portoguese Roncador.

Okay

by santeewelding ·

In reply to It’s supposedly dutch

That was good.

So now you suggest we just judge each other?

by oz_media ·

We should decide who the most honourable amongest us is and let that person be the grand pooh bah who calls the shots in our fascist forum?

When you go to a pub at night and have an argument with the guy at teh next table, do you ask the bartender or bouncer to have him leave or post his picture above th bar so everyone is aware they may get into a somewhat offensive argument with him?

the only foul I see is that teh questions are being posted in teh correct Q&A section, buut in santee’s defense (didn’t think I’d ever type that!)the questions are a waste fo everyone’s time. These are issues that anyone with a button to click on a mouse can sort out with a simple Google search, they aren’t exactly daunting technical questions that can’t be eaily resolved and require the one on one input ot technical professionals.

It’s like calling the fire department to dispose of your hot BBQ ashes.

Santee has mentioned he should attend some basic classes but I think the questions presented are the assumed basic knowledge needed before even starting Windows for Dummies. The REAL PLAYER website will answer such questions, just have to research instead of asking others. The mouse issue? Come on, Google it, simple solution.

Lazy baystads rarely get a leg up around here.

Troll

by oz_media ·

When people start deeming any discussion that isn’t favourable as a TROLL issue it pretty much homogenizes the term and removes it’s very meaning. TROLLING is starting a discussion by saying, THE US PRESIDENT IS A TOSSER. Or, THIS WEBSITE SUX BECAUSE….and THEN leaving to never say another word.

You know you are just going to get a lot of people riled and defensive, and stir the pot up for the hell of it.

Taking someone to task for their laziness, BS etc and stickign around to debate it is NOT BLOODY TROLLING!

Gawd, more and more people expect to be saved from the world around them, PLEASE PROTECT ME, I SHOULD’NT HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT, CONTROL IT FOR ME!

MAKE ‘THEM’ STOP DOING WHAT I DON’T LIKE!

lol

by jaqui ·

In reply to Troll

like the stupidity of people needing “Warning, Contents HOT” on a coffee.

or not to stick their hands into the fan attacked to the engine of the car.

if they are that stupid, maybe they should be killed. 😉

Vision

by oz_media ·

In reply to lol

Seems to be rather clear from your perspective, I wonder hos so many are so blind?

S**t, I’m supposed to be taking it easy and doing nothing but looking at the lake this week, made it to West Harrison had to head back into Agassiz for some stuff, but ended up in Chilliwack, online at Tim bloody Hortons! THIS ISN’T WHAT I HAD PLANNED!!!

Damn, TR bullspit! Gotta go!

Snowy B.C. Brrr. ?? ?

by madsmaddad ·

In reply to Vision

And you’re only in the lower mainland. I thought that you’d be somewhere north of Valemount.

I grew up further north than you are, and it wasn’t that cold.

Palmie

by oz_media ·

In reply to After reviewing your Questions, I have to agree.

I agree that Santee has beena bit impatient with him. HOwever the questions being asked are probbaly common in the top 100 Google searches and a gazillion answers can be found to such questions with the simplest search.

The Q&A forum is commonly known as a place to aolve more duanting questions, that can’t be found via a simple Google search and require one on one discussion with an experienced tech. Aren’t people at least supposed to TRY and solve their own simple problems before asking for the level of expertise normally found here?

The SPAm button is a waste of time, santee’s just being santee, it’s his way, ignore it or deal with it yourself.

Again though, I am surprised people even known when santee is attacking them, without a focus group to decipher the intent of his posts.

Hey, Santee is a dick, I am a dick, everyonne here can and will be a dick, but I don’t go hitting the spam button every time Santee, Apotheon or Max and I get into it.

We’re slowing down

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Palmie

In regards to having entire discussions started complaining about an individual around here, Santee is catching up with you and me.

Maybe I need to start using [i]the link[/i] again.

That’s, “Dick”

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Palmie

If you don’t mind. My first name is Richard.

No . . . . .

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to That’s, “Dick”

….. it’s dick.

Richard Head then

by oz_media ·

In reply to No . . . . .

However you wish it to be played out, time to face reality.

There are two types of posters here, conformists and dickheads.

Some say that all men think with their balls…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Richard Head then

The difference is in the configuration:
          Balls-for-brains : dick-head
          Brains-for-balls : clever dick.

That’s tough…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to That’s, “Dick”

One can’t tell Santee to stop being a dick – that’d be harassment on account of his inability to desist.

draw site-management’s attention

by oz_media ·

This isn’t preschool. The site forums are monitored by a few former peers who will try to keep REAL SPAM off teh forums. If someone is personally attacking someone’s race, nationality etc. They may remove it but we are all adults and accept that not all discussions are full of love and rainbows.

If you don’t like the way someone responde to you, there are two options,
      1) set them straight yourself
      2) Don’t read or reply to their posts

Kinda like walking away in the playground instead of running to telling the teacher you were being bullied by one of the older kids.

I am also very surprised that you can even tell that santee was attacking you. Most people around here don’t know what the hell he’s on about half the time anyway, with his 18th century attempt at poetic banter he deems discussion.

posting your complaints here does littlel but cast a light onn your own self pity, there are contact links availble that are far more relevant than posting a new discussion(besides the SPAM link, thess types of personal attacks don’t constitute spam).

People who post discussions complaining about someone else, usually don’t get far with it and raresly find thr type of sympathy and support they are seeking, it usually completely backfires.

So again I will suggest, use the contact page to find someone to air your hreivances to, don’t read his posts, take natters into your own hands and set him straight yourslef,

Just like in a grown up’s world, we get to make choices and settle our debates or ignore them ourselves. Tattling just isn’t too grown up.

santeewelding

by boxfiddler ·

is an equal opportunity picker-onner.

As in

by santeewelding ·

In reply to santeewelding

The other hyphen you need.

Santee

by av . ·

In reply to As in

Why are you picking on this guy?

AV

American Voter

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Santee

I zeroed in on him, and I remain thus focused, owing to his first, earlier posts in TR Questions.

Those posts were craven. His post here, now, in Discussions, is craven.

Where now he describes his job role as, [b]other[/b], I recall he earlier had it as, [b]Executive Manager (Chairman, CEO, CFO)[/b], and he touted himself as such with self-advertising of the glowing sort.

He changed his profile after that. Might have been my prodding. After that he explained as how — actually — he [i]was[/i] CEO, but had got himself into a motorcycle (?) collision and suffered a brain injury. And, that he was on the mend.

I don’t know if his attitude is, as I find insufferable now as then, because of or in spite of the injury. I don’t know if those involved in his care and succor have been tip-toeing around him, or if they thought it best for his rehabilitation that he participate here, out in the (virtual) world, safe from collision, since [b]04/30/2010[/b]. Or, if it was he who took the decision.

However it may be, and whatever the therapy, I am not that therapist. I will not hold and caress his limp, ingracious hand. Or, his limp, ingracious self-caricature, neither here nor in Questions — specially not in Discussions, which he chooses for his second coming.

I never saw those other posts

by av . ·

In reply to American Voter

Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever encountered this person on TR but I don’t get to spend a lot of time here.

Maybe he did misrepresent himself as an Executive Manager, but still, you have a choice. To respond or not to respond. You just need to leave it alone if you don’t like the guy.

I do understand some of your comments, like the brain damage one, after you explained it. I’m glad you clarified that.

Santee, every now and then you might find someone on TR that can really push your buttons. Its hard to resist the temptation to take them to the woodshed, but in the end its the best choice for you. Thats what I do.

AV

Thank you, AV

by santeewelding ·

In reply to I never saw those other posts

And you are welcome.

However, there are no buttons. What I do, I do dispassionately. Coldly, if you will. Bloodlessly, when it comes to Max.

It’s the thumbs, right?

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to American Voter

Ingracious – I knew it… ]:)

I told him too.

by ron k. ·

In reply to It’s the thumbs, right?

He’s a questions spammer that can’t say thank you.

In the time I’ve been here

by nexs ·

He’s already had two Discussions about him.

Commendable?
      Possibly.
      Would he ever be forgotten?
      Nope.
      Is that a good thing?
      To him: Yes. To others: Variable.

The difference is the forums

by charliespencer ·

In reply to In the time I’ve been here

The first discussion centered around santee’s postings on the Discussions forum. I backed him on that one and still do.

This one is about the Questions forum. I may be the only one who thinks that the two forums require different approaches, but my position is that the free-wheeling style of Discussions isn’t always appropriate in Questions.

True, but

by nexs ·

In reply to The difference is the forums

The ‘ignorance is bliss’ mentality is required in all areas of life, not just the Q&A forum.

I think his comments were out of line

by av . ·

I really don’t know why he would respond to you in that way, but the best thing you can do is just keep hitting that spam button if he continues to respond to you. Hopefully, he won’t.

Most people on TR would not respond that way to questions. We’re all professionals here, or so I thought.

AV

Av: I agree. They were out of line. However . . . . .

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to I think his comments were out of line

I looked at several of those questions, and most of santee’s messages would have been better left unsaid. They did come across as rude.

But that’s what santee does. He dings people. He rattles cages. He pokes people in the ribs with a stick. And quite frankly, I’d have to strain my brain to remember even one post of his that contributed to the underlying question or discussion – especially one that was tech related.

I don’t know if he actually believes he’s giving people [i]food for thought[/i], per se, or if he really intends to be a PITA. Whichever it is, he usually (but not always) comes across as a pompous blow-hard.

However, as you well know, if a person participates in these forums and has such a thin skin that some anonymous stranger can get under his skin, then he’s both in the wrong place and he needs to reevaluate his manhood.

I’ve had more run-ins with santee than probably anyone at TR. And like I said, he’s a pompous, blow-hard, pain in the a** – but he’s our pompous, blow-hard, pain in the a**. As such, it’s easy to not even read his replies – something I’ve done off and on.

I think the guy who started this discussion needs to do two things – make it three things: thicken his skin; grow some gonads; and learn some basic computer troubleshooting skills, as most of his questions did indeed show an extreme lack thereof.

But to go crying to the TR powers that be? And to start a discussion complaining about another TR anonymous stranger? Give me a break!

P.S. You navigate these TR battlefields quite well. You never seem to rattle or get rattled.

P.P.S. I love your new Governor. Can we have him?

Such a relief

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Av: I agree. They were out of line. However . . . . .

I don’t have to self-advertise. Max does it for me.

By the way, santee, have I ever given you . . . . .

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Such a relief

…… [i]the link[/i]?

Santee went too far

by av . ·

In reply to Av: I agree. They were out of line. However . . . . .

He did explain himself in a separate post, but you’re right. With some people, much like yourself, Santee will focus in and rattle your cage. What you get then are very pointed posts that aren’t as cryptic as his usual ones.

The questions forum attracts all levels of users and the worst thing to happen on TR is for people to be afraid to post because of negative posts like that. It might be ok in the discussions area, but not in questions. I wouldn’t expect answers like that either from a TR member that has been here for some time.

Maybe that guy should have shot back at Santee, but he was just a guy looking for an answer. He shouldn’t have to do anything. Personally, I would have told Santee he can go take a long walk off a short pier, but thats me.

I know Santee can be very contentious, especially with you, but he’s just himself. They broke the mold, if you know what I mean.

I don’t know what the PTB will do. I hope they will leave it be if Santee agrees to leave that guy alone. I think he will.

I always like to seek the middle ground. No one wins everything, but everyone gets something.

No, you can’t have our Governor. He’s under lock and key for safe keeping.

AV

I assure you, AV

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Santee went too far

From the moment he posted about me in third person, he was carrion.

I am not attracted to carrion. I am attracted to presence of mind.

Like yours.

I assure you, AV

by maxwell edison ·

santee will never attack you like he has so many others.

(And that speaks very highly of you.)

The TR powers that be will do . . . . .

by maxwell edison ·

….. nothing.

As it should be.

AV…

by ansugisalas ·

As last time, there’s a distinct possibility that this dewd was/is trolling.
          His posts and questions have a whiff to them.
          As do his “responses” in this.

You mean Jadavis? NT

by av . ·

In reply to AV…

AV

Of course…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to You mean Jadavis? NT

I thought I was being entirely unambiguous, after all – Santee, trolling? What a notion.

Yes. Jadavis, pulling a maak, maybe.

No, Santee wouldn’t do that

by av . ·

In reply to Of course…

Jadavis was definitely pulling it. Not sure what a maak is, but he just handled it the wrong way.

AV

AV: Another P.S.

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to I think his comments were out of line

In late 1999 and/or early 2000, I had a different TR alias – my original – whose main purpose was to answer questions and accumulate TR Tech Points. I helped A LOT of people. I answered tech questions with a passion, and I NEVER ventured into the discussions. Do you remember the Tech Points? That was before the Thumbs-Up thing.

Without going into a lot of details, I pissed-off some guy who did EXACTLY the same thing that [i]jadavis9[/i] has done. He both started a discussion complaining about me, AND he complained to the (then) TR powers that be.

Without the benefit of a fair trial; without the benefit of being presumed innocent until proven guilty; without even being asked to explain my side of the story (there’s always another side of the story); my TR account was cancelled, and I could no longer log-in as I had been. Moreover, no one at TR would even reply to my emails – even though my account was a PAID account (TR PRO) for which I paid (I think) $80 per year!

I was shafted, plain and simple. And all because some thin-skinned pansy complained about me. I had about 75,000 Tech Points at the time, which was very close to being in the Top Five, and my [i]member since[/i] date was pretty close to the date that TR opened its cyber doors.

I lost those two things – and all because somebody [i]got offended[/i] and went crying to mommy.

All that being said, I don’t really care for santee very much (surprise, surprise!), but I care for cry babies even less.

Like I said, the guy needs to grow both thick-skin and some gonads.

P.S. After that guy complained about me, I created my current [i]Maxwell Edison[/i] account, and I’ve never seen the guy who complained since.

Are you thick-skinned enough

by santeewelding ·

In reply to AV: Another P.S.

To accept my pointing out that your last hyphen is inappropriate?

LOL

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Are you thick-skinned enough

And I don’t give a rat’s!

You don’t !?

by santeewelding ·

In reply to LOL

These things get pulled up and thrown in your face, you know. And you — you a luminary — [i]ought[/i] to be concerned (my taking on Juanita’s role) in your own Suppression of Vice.

Actually, you’re wrong

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Are you thick-skinned enough

Using a hyphen to avoid ambiguities is perfectly acceptable.

But you’re probably not thick-skinned enough to admit your mistake.

Did you mean

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Actually, you’re wrong

Rectitude as opposed to morality? You do as I gig Oz for; right versus wrong; correct versus incorrect, the latter of which I look to in matters of the technical, and dispatched with in very few words.

That can be done with morality, too. But you have yet to arrive at that point in your arrested development.

The hyphen is a matter of style. Not rectitude. I’ll go with your arrested style, too, if that makes you happy.

Just here to please — sometimes.

Like I said

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to Did you mean

You’re not thick-skinned enough, yourself, to simply admit you were wrong.

But that’s okay. You are, after all, OUR pompous, blow-hard, PITA!

P.S. Have a nice night – and the last word (as usual) – if you wish.

Last word

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Like I said

You ain’t heavy. You my brother.

May the Good Lord keep you, as obviously He does.

Well I like using Shakespeare : Done to death by slanderous tongue

by cg it ·

In reply to Did you mean

I go, and it is done, the bell invites me.

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes

While I often, well now, almost always, do not post on consumer help desk stuff, when I see Santeewelding’s posts, I can’t help but try to find some quotes to use in response to his posts. King Lear, MacBeth, I’ll use movies or even Hary Potter.

It’s fun for the moment looking up stuff that I’ve read decades ago in school.

Personally, Jadavis9 asks a lot of consumer help desk questions, doesn’t really give out thumbs, and if I remember correctly the last couple of posts, even managed to solve the problem without help. I also think takes things a little to seriously…..

CG

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Well I like using Shakespeare : Done to death by slanderous tongue

Where do you suppose that shilt I posted about “How I am” came from?

Have you not also fielded those — so many — questions in Questions from the lost and forlorn (mostly young, I think; although there are those oldsters) about how they [i]ought[/i] to be, and stretched your mind about how to answer them?

Knowing you, from your many posts, and your attempts, I take it that you care. I care, too. I cared enough to post my question as a General Solution which, for the most part, turned out to engender heartfelt answers.

Lord knows, those questions keep on a’coming. Which is good. Every generation comes with them. You and I, and others, are later.

You have my heartfelt thanks.

Care? naw Q&A has become the free consumer help desk

by cg it ·

and I don’t fancy to give free consumer help desk support. Even the Geek Squad has the “Pay me” policy.

I brought up Kink Lear, MacBeth/Shakespeare on purpose…. 🙂

and yes, some often don’t recognize classical sayings… wonder if you use Yeates or Whitman if anyone would pick up on that.

But sometimes, no matter how many “quotes” one uses, “that within which passes show”, that clearer verbage and the occasional direct suggestion would suffice. ” light, seeking light, doth light of light beguile.

CG

by nexs ·

Well done.

Just as Santee plays, you’ve joined the sandbox of ambiguous sentences.

I commend your efforts.

The one first and last time

by santeewelding ·

I dealt with Geek Squad, they asked me, “How are you?”

I told the boy, “How I am holds for all that is.”

I shouldn’t need to tell you what transpired next.

Or, maybe I do.

I put the same, to you, right between the middle of your forehead and your goddamned eyes.

I brook no superciliousness. If you did not know that before, know it now.

Quit with me.

NexS: the ambigious is Shakespeare,

by cg it ·

which Santeewelding sometimes uses….

I myself mix and match. On the post in question that started all this, I quoted a SciFi show, Stargate SG1 in which characters were also talking ambigiously to each other by using Idioms.

While I’m not coming to anyone’s defense, I find the debate and discussion interesting.

There wouldn’t be this discussion and debate had Jdavis9 simply ignored Santeewelding. And there wouldn’t have been some Shakespeare thrown in for good measure.

Now if Santeewelding started talking like Yoda, we could all boo and throw paperwads.

But Yoda

by nexs ·

Is often more decipherable.

I am not?

by santeewelding ·

Who to blame for that, into blame, that you appear to be?

Proof enough? nt

by nexs ·

You leave me no comeback

by santeewelding ·

How is that for — what is that word? — cryptic?

Shakey is great…

by ansugisalas ·

You can always find what you need from Shakespeare, given enough time and quickness of wit.
          http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-12846-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=330453&messageID=3291645&tag=leftCol;post-3602

Hoist away! But hoisting, recall that a hoist in time is a hoist in deed.

You’re right CG IT and I will try to change how I act.

by jadavis9 ·

I do ask a lot of consumer help desk type questions. I am very low on cash after suffering an accident and losing a business during a long recovery. As I recover, I am trying to get my home computers working better. I will admit that I probably did skip giving our thumbs that were deserved. In the beginning, on this site and on Microsoft Answers, I thought that marking an answer with a thumb or Mark As Answer would stop any future help on that issue. Oops! Now, I will try to always give thumbs or Mark As Answer.
          And when I “solve the problem without help”, it just means that either I kept trying junk on my own and it seemed to resolve the issue, or I restarted the pc and the issue was now resolved (which happens way too often, sometimes even with Microsoft things), or I changed a setting and it didn’t fix the issue and then I changed the setting back to the original setting which I had been told that it was supposed to be and it was now fixed (which also happens with some Microsoft issues), or I got it resolved with help from someone else on another forum or my neighbor who is a Geek Squad guy or from another friend who should be a Geek Squad guy.
          Anyway …. I will try to thumb any good help in the future even if the issue is resolved.

Thats pretty sad

by av . ·

In reply to AV: Another P.S.

I wouldn’t think TR would do something like that, especially to a paying member. Maybe back then there were different PTBs.

I think the guy should have stood up to Santee or ignored him. Definitely, he didn’t need to try to get TR to fight his battles.

I’m glad TR has chosen not to do anything.

AV

jadavis9 – Be a man, and . . . . .

by maxwell edison ·

….. reply to some (if not all) of these messages. Otherwise, you’ve sealed your own fate.

P.S.

by maxwell edison ·

And give a [i]Thumbs Up[/i] to all those people who attempted to help you.

That does appear a lacking skill…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to P.S.

Ingrates aren’t popular anywhere.

I do note

by jamesrl ·

In reply to P.S.

That in some of the other threads where he is aksing for help, he did give thumbs up.

But really, should we just help people for thumbs like some pavlovian lab dog? Or should we do it for karma, cause once upon a time people helped us when we were noobs.

James

Questions in ‘Discussions’

by charliespencer ·

In reply to I do note

Those who answer questions mistakenly posted to ‘Discussions’ obviously aren’t in it for the ‘thumbs’.

And that’s why you’re a class act

by juanita marquez ·

In reply to I do note

I help when I can, and/or when I have time, precisely for that reason. The nature of my normal job, as well as dealings with other people when I have no skills in an area and they are willing to help me, make it easier to do so. Thumbs are the icing on the cake for me, perhaps they are more crucial to other people here, I don’t know – and I will admit to knowing the minor twinge of irritation when I don’t get an acknowledgement of my efforts. Even good karma doesn’t mind a cyber “thank you”, which it essentially is.

Having said that, it would appear that the poster is using TR quite a bit as free tech support. I believe that is what people find objectionable. Even so, no one deserves to be spat on for it.

Karma is a bitch, and then you die… again!

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to And that’s why you’re a class act

Good karma is very quickly undone by the negative karmic impact of that twinge of irritation that comes with the lack of earned reward… it’s poison to the mind you know.

I’ve given up keeping score

by juanita marquez ·

In reply to Karma is a bitch, and then you die… again!

I figure in the end, if I have a little bit to tip the scales in my favor, it all works out 🙂

I guess that I am using TR to help me with tech support

by jadavis9 ·

When the real tech support people from the hardware or software company are failing or if I am too confused to try to look through stacks of books or links to find the answer myself. I appreciate it when people on TR can guide me in the right direction quickly from info that they already know.

I’m sorry if I used this site wrong

by jadavis9 ·

I was under the mistaken thinking that was the purpose of this site. I found it very helpful to ask my silly questions to the experts who hung out here. I guess that some of you consider that the wrong thing to do.

I will try to always remember to

by jadavis9 ·

In reply to P.S.

Thumbs Up

I think he’s trying to cheer you up

by jkameleon ·

… in his own humorous manner.

Just calm down, will ya! It’s just a computer, not a train.

http://img.thedailywtf.com/images/201007/tube.jpg
      http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Train-Crash.aspx

Even if it crashes, it’s no big deal.

See ya’.

by ron k. ·

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Wow..

by maecuff ·

It’s an online forum..not a little girl tea party.

Man up.
      Ignore it.
      Fight back.

Whatever you decide..it’s time to put your on your big girl panties and stop whining.

So what if Santee is rude to you? Be rude back. Pretend you didn’t see it, or, the most simple solution..DON’T LOOK AT HIS POSTS.

Clarification, please.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Wow..

Does ‘big’ modify ‘girl’ or ‘panties’?

Or do as Mae does

by oz_media ·

In reply to Wow..

Get the shovel! It’s like a hidden object game, needs: SHOVEL, BALLS, VOICE…..THE LINK!

Oh well, it’s bloody hot and sunny, I’m two hours from home and STILL wading through this nonsense while having tea at Tim’s. What the hell am I doing !?!?!?!?!?

Now everyone just piss off and leave me alone for a few days so I can forget this site exists.

Backwards it have you

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Or do as Mae does

Piss off and leave this site alone for a few days so this site can forget you exist.

It will make you feel so much better.

And have a shower, will you? Cold. :p

I can play that game!

by jadavis9 ·

In reply to Wow..

It’s not my natural style, but if it is needed to get along on this site, then I can do it!

Man up, its not hard, I can show you

by slayer_ ·

Observe….

Fk off Santee, take that concealed weapon of yours and blow your own useless dick off you…. lost my train of thought….

😀

I’m with Palmie on this one

by jamesrl ·

Be as nasty as you want to a newbie wading in to the off topic areas or discussions.

But being nasty to a newbie who is asking a question? Sure they could google it, and just telling them that would be an ok response. But smacking them hard for asking a question? That smacks to me of elitism and snobbery. All of us were newbs at one point or another, though for many it was decades ago.

I don think that people in public forums have to grow thicker skins, and learn to ignore some participants, but that shouldn’t give us all carte blanche to pee in any new participants corn flakes.

When I used to conduct computer courses, I often stated at the outset that there is no such thing as a stupid question. I didn’t want people to be afraid to ask, because that stifles open conversation and dialogue. Do we really want people to be afraid to ask a question for fear of being mocked?

James

I agree..

by maecuff ·

In reply to I’m with Palmie on this one

It sucks if someone is made to feel stupid for asking a question. however, it’s a fact that people respond to just about any comment or question if a wide array of different ways. Sometimes, it’s rude or thoughtless. It’s impossible to police the world, it’s impossible to try to force EVERYONE to behave in a way that one person deems appropriate. The only thing we as individuals can do, is control how WE respond to such things.

So..I’m sticking with Man Up. Get some thick skin. Thick skin is good. It’s helpful in many different situations.

10 years ago I would have agreed with you

by cg it ·

In reply to I’m with Palmie on this one

but today, with the sheer amount of information available for computers, I tend to disagree with the newbie and dumb questions.

If the questions being asked were along the lines of where can I find thus and such, no problem, but the bulk of questions are not that. They are questions that with a little searching, one can find their own answer.

Simply googling turns up thousands if not a million or more hits on keywords. All of which would give the searcher vast amounts of information to solve a problem.

But often, consumers don’t want to wade through all that, just like they don’t want to read the manual. [Geek Squad created a company around that premise.] They want someone to tell them how to fix it, and not have to pay anyone to fix it, nor spend the time reading to learn how to fix it, but want the fast and easy solution to be on their merry way .

Heck with that. I don’t get paid to wade through thousands of links to find an answer for some consumer who wants free stuff because hey, why spend the time looking it up when they can get a fast easy answer on TR. All for free and without having to call a help desk which is manned by people in some far flung country that reads from a piece of paper and probably doesn’t know more than the consumer. Nor am I going to waste time looking up answers for someone who ask questions simply to see how many people would waste time answering and getting a good laugh out of it.

While all of us were nubs or FNGs at one time, with the sheer volume of knowledge on the Internet through search, I’m always surprised that TRs Q&A has a much volume of questions as it does. In my opinion, it shouldn’t because the knowledge is there on the Internet and it’s not TR that has it.

Oh lighten up….

by darryl~ ·

Santee enjoys doing that, plus it entertains many of us from time to time.

I think the real lesson to be learned (by yourself) would be to try to help yourself a bit & maybe, just maybe try to be a little more honest & upfront with those offering you assistance.

Maybe in your future questions you can give a list of things you already tried without success; also, it wouldn’t hurt to at least say thank you once in a while.

Ignoring posts?

by Michael Kassner ·

In reply to Oh lighten up….

No one is forcing anyone to answer the questions of newbies. Don’t want to fool with it? Don’t. No one is requiring you to read the question OR respond. I don’t understand the hostility toward this issue. Believe me, no one is more irritable or less tolerant of ignorance than me. But in the case of a poster perhaps just looking for the easy way out–I just don’t understand the drive-by venom. Is a newbie question affecting your life so badly that you feel the need to shame him? Shaming is cruel, whatever the reasons behind it. What did people do with their anger before there were anonymous forums? Beat kittens up?

Issues…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Ignoring posts?

Maybe on both sides.
          I do pick up a whiff of something untoward, and maybe that’s part of what set off Santeewelding. This whiff could be a red herring of course, it’s not evidence in itself.

Toni, I do ignore his question posts…..

by darryl~ ·

Initially I did not. He started a discussion & I wanted to see what it was about.
          I’m not intending to be hostile or rude at all. He asked a questions & I gave him a reasonable answer as to why he was being treated the way he is by Santee….simple as that.
          In addition, I gave him a couple pointers that may help him obtain more reasonable answers in the future…such as Maybe in your future questions you can give a list of things you already tried without success.

How have you assisted him in his quest to find answers to the question he asked to start this discussion & what pointers did you give to that would assist him in recieving more satisfactory results from the questions he asks?

I think that I have tried to always give lots of info

by jadavis9 ·

In reply to Toni, I do ignore his question posts…..

I am very careful to try to list as much as I can to speed up any resolution and to avoid a suggestion to try something that I already have tried. But, maybe I forgot to do that once or twice? I don’t doubt that I forgot to, as I have been dealing with so many issues with nice help on this site.

No

by oz_media ·

We beat the kids up and kicked the dog. But now there are these ‘petty parents’ who feel that a child should not be disciplined and the SCPA gets on you for kicking the dog, enter the Internet.

I came here with a n00b question too, as far as servers are concerned, one that I had tried to resolve myself but to no avail.

I described my network, what issue I was having, what I had read and tried then asked for any help that could be offered. At that time there was a need to add a wad of points too, which I didn’t have many of back then.

I found help to be of the best calibre, very friendly and informative. I tried a few things, posted back with further issues and my great appreciation for the support I found here. The kind support continued and I was repeatedly posting back with updates as to what I had tried and again offering my great appreciation for the support.

Now, if you read his posts, that’s really not the case these days. It’s funny how people can find their way here, through Googling their problem but finding out it’s not the same issue and then posting their own question, but they can’t click the back button and resolve it from the other returned pages from their initial search.

After that it’s over, HELP ME, buh bye. In this case he decided to make a show and post his distaste for how Santee treated him. Of course Santee was over the top, I will be too and so are many others here. If you read his questions they are not properly posed, there’s no information provided and no appreciation for those who did offer relevant advice. Such posts generally get bashed here, always have and probably always will, unless you elect Barbara Streisand as president.

Now, as you don’t agree with beating up n00bs, I guess I have to go and find the neighbour’s kitten!

Be true to yourself Oz…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to No

I see you going out of your way to spar with Apotheon, so look in the mirror, admit your masochist tendencies and go flagellant! Flagl Flagle Flagle!
          Finally you’ll get to beat up a worthy opponent, one that gives as good as it gets, for as long as you can take it!
          :p

Ok, that was bad. But you asked for it.

Flagle?!

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Be true to yourself Oz…

I like it. Must incorporate it into my vocab. 😀

Now

by santeewelding ·

I think I know.

Santeewelding….Santeewelding

by rayjeff ·

You know…every time I see your name, you remind me of a small town near me called Santee; I think Palmetto may know where I’m talking about. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, because I like driving by Santee to see the water. Oh dear…I think I just put myself out there for another Santeewelding thrashing.

Message has been deleted.

by famalegoods127 ·

What letter in the dictionary is he on now?

by rechtepublic ·

I have see many of Mr. Big Words’ posts. He is like Satan’s son with a dictionary. He tries to flame posters but usually ends up sounding like a flaming idiot using words out of context. The funniest part is when he starts making up words. I think there should be a contest to find the stupidest post by this looser.

Should I stick to only shorter words for you?

by jadavis9 ·

In reply to What letter in the dictionary is he on now?

At least I don’t intentionally misspell words, RechTepublic! I think that is what spellcheck and the dictionary is for!

erased a dup posting

by jadavis9 ·

erased a dup posting

I’m back in and I’m staying!

by jadavis9 ·

Santee or No Santee – I am here to stay. Maybe many of you don’t think that I belong in this crowd … but I’m here!

Way to go, kid

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to I’m back in and I’m staying!

You now carry a zombie as your calling card, reminding us all of pointlessnesses of the past…
        I’d tell you to drop it, but I think it’s now permanently attached.
        Fresh starts generally work better if one doesn’t recap past mistakes at the get-go Mk2.

Thanks …. I wish that I was still a kid!

by jadavis9 ·

In reply to Way to go, kid

But, I just turned 52 in January. Oh well, gettin’ old ain’t the worst thing that can happen!

Bump

by deepsand ·

Seems appropriate to float this back to the top for a bit, at least till the foam settles.

Viewing 20 reply threads