Discussions

Discussion on:

Headhunters

Message 5 of 23

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
Ironspider

I'd have to agree, the cheap and cheesey "recruiters" that charge flat fees or 10-15% of the first year salaries are a dime-a-dozen. They burn through candidates like toilet paper squares dipped in a lava stream. If you have the skills (or anything remotely similar) they want to speak to you now. They'll tell you where you need to go, what salary you'll be paid, and when you need to be there. If you have a problem with any of this, that "recruiter" will never speak to you again (this doesnt stop future "recruiters" from the same agency calling you for future jobs, only to discard you like used gum if you don't fit.) In short, they have a job and need an assembly line of people to fill it.

Real recruiters charge 27-33% fees from the companies. We call someone and ask for all their worldly desires in a new position and actually search for that position. Now don't get me wrong, most recruiters don't sit around calling everyone in the phone book to find a person to find a job for; the majority of the time we'll search for people to fit a position, but if a candidate doesnt fit, s/he isn't discarded, but interviewed to find out what the candidate wants. For instance, I just did a search today, called roughly 2 dozen people to try to fill this position: 3 candidates fit the requirements and desired the position; 8 were left a message; 10 fit the requirments or came pretty close but didnt desire the position and were either interviewed on the spot as to exactly what kind of future position would make them happy or a future interview time was scheduled; and the other 3 were completely not a fit and were either interviewed on the spot as to exactly what kind of future position would make them happy or a future interview time was scheduled. Therefore I picked up 3 people to submit to the position and 13 new passive candidates for future positions, all with a 2-4 page interview on file. The 2-4 interview page allows us to make a perfect match between the hiring manager/company and candidate [sorry to sound like a dating site].