Discussions

Discussion on:

Headhunters

Message 11 of 23

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
mdhealy

I have a brief biography ready, then when a recruiter cold calls I can ask for what details they are willing to provide about the opening and send them just the bio. Only in the event of serious interest will I send an actual CV. The bio gives them sufficient information to judge what sort of positions I might fit in future, but ensures I'll be in the loop before they can send my CV to an employer, which gives me a little more control.

Actually, most of my experience with the search process is from the employer's end rather than from the candidate's end, since for two people in their forties my wife and I have rather little experience with jobhunting. As an undergraduate I went to about four on-campus interviews, was hired, worked for a few years, then went to grad school. Out of grad school I went to Yale Medical School where I was a Postdoc for a while, until a headhunter found me there in 1998 and I started with my present employers. In the meantime, my wife (whom I met in grad school) got her first real job through a faculty contact, then worked as a freelance editor for five years before getting her current job through a headhunter. So I have never actually done a real job hunt myself, and my wife has done one real job hunt.

But during the same period I've been on the employer's side of many searches. When I was a grad student the faculty in my department actually took our input into their hiring decisions quite seriously so we participated fully in the process of selecting new faculty. And since 1998 as an industrial researcher I have interviewed numerous applicants for various openings.